Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Radio Fuse #18 keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Radio Fuse keeps blowing

Last night when i turned on my car my radio had no power so i checked the fuse and sure enough it was blown. i replace the fuse turn the car back on and it blows again, this happened about 3 times.

What can the issue be, i pulled out the radio (aftermarket) and all the connections were in order no bare wires or anything of the sort. I have had the radio installed for about a year and this is the first issue i have had.

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by setter11; 10-31-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
Obviously there is a short somewhere. I would put OEM radio back in to check if the same thing is happening. If not then you'll have your answer; there is an issue with either the wires or the head unit itself, although it's very unlikely that it's the head unit. Double check that none of the wires are exposed; they may have been okay a year ago after the install, but over a long period of time things may get loose, you never know. Did you use a harness to do the install or did you tap into OEM wires?

Like I said, put the OEM unit back in and see if you can replicate the issue with the OEM HU.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
Is there anything else changed besides the headunit? Things like additional speakers, wire splicing, or any other change in the factory harness.

Also, how did you or the person installing the system wire it?

Old 10-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by copmagnet82
Obviously there is a short somewhere. I would put OEM radio back in to check if the same thing is happening. If not then you'll have your answer; there is an issue with either the wires or the head unit itself, although it's very unlikely that it's the head unit. Double check that none of the wires are exposed; they may have been okay a year ago after the install, but over a long period of time things may get loose, you never know. Did you use a harness to do the install or did you tap into OEM wires?

Like I said, put the OEM unit back in and see if you can replicate the issue with the OEM HU.

i used a harness for the radio.. and i pulled the radio out and the fuse was still popping so there i something in the power line that is causing the problem... in the mean time to get the radio working i just ran a line to the use box as an accessory..

Old 10-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
Is there anything else changed besides the headunit? Things like additional speakers, wire splicing, or any other change in the factory harness.

Also, how did you or the person installing the system wire it?
I have Kicker components all the way around, kicker subs, and sony amp...

NO WIRE SPLICING...

Wire harness was used..