Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Review - GD3 Scosche Alpine IXA-w404 (and broadway 240 blue flat)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Review - GD3 Scosche Alpine IXA-w404 (and broadway 240 blue flat)

Hey, I thought I do a quick review on my new audio system. I paid about $1100 for all the hardware. The headunit was only $280. In short it rocks and makes my car much more enjoyable to drive. It has definitely resurrected the Fit Freak.

Alpine IXA-w404 and nav add on NVE M300
Image Dynamics CTX65cs 6.5 inch component fronts (rear doors kept stock and just connected to head unit for rear fill and faded 80% front)
ARC FD2200 2 channel x 100 amp - mounted on a board on drivers side trunk quarter panel.
Dynamat xtreme all both front doors, rear quarters and wheel well. (not the rear doors) 3 door kits total.
Scosche Kit using the honda clips (good fit and color match).
Ipod cable with video, aux in is spliced and also works. pac tr7 video overide.

Review -
The car is definitely quieter, the tire roar is down, but not gone. Driving is less noisy, especially over bumps and in that sense makes the car seem more solid. The trunk work is only partial, the rear doors are not dynamat'd at all, so it could be better.

I listen to it at about half volume and it's loud. The tweeters are more detailed than any stock system I've heard (bmw,benz,vw,infiniti). It's not bright at all. With no woofer I am satisfied, but not impressed with bass, especially on deep bass tracks, like on some hip hop and electronic. For rock, acoustic, and most electronic music it is full, clear and dynamic. Mid bass is musical and it thumps a bit - you can feel bass, a lot more than on stock, but not a real visceral experience. It definitely rocks out and I am grinning when I hear a song I've listened to 1000 times, but the bass could be better.

The equalizer on the head unit is very basic with one bass and one treble parametric, where you can set each midpoint then boost or decrease. I have the bass at +4 and low pass at 60 hz to get rid of low bass distortion.

The nav is just ok. The voice is robotic, the interface is not intuitive. For example you have to dive into two layers of menu to cancel route. However, it is decently quick in calculating route. The display UI is also at times confusing and too complex to read or use while driving.

Ipod integration is good. Not as fast as some other ones I have seen. A randomized fast forward on a 200 song playlist can take a few seconds. Scrolling through albums and songs is a bit sluggish, but acceptable. Video plays well, the screen is small but sufficient to watch a movie.

You can change the on screen colors, the blue hard button illumination can't be changed. It matches the stock dash well. Overall the HU looks sweet IMO.

The Broadway 240mm blue flat mirror is great! It was <$20, you can see the entire back window, you could turn it and see out the back quarters. The sun visors are not affected and it doesn't look goofy. The blue coating eliminates the need to flip the night switch (wouldn't work anyway) for glare, though I do have 30% on the back window. It does shake a bit when going over bumps, but the stock did that too.

Last edited by wlfit; 03-14-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Link to where the mirror can be purchased?

Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Sure:

Mirror from Robear Racing (good service):
RoBear Racing. BROADWAY FLABEG BLUE MIRROR: 240MM (FLAT)

The Stereo stuff was from

Sonicelectronix (great prices on hardware and shipping. good website. packaging was crap and filled with clingy staticy popcorn. I spent 30 min cleaning up)
Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers

Woofersetc. (good service and high end audiophile grade selection)
Woofersetc.com the online car audio super store, the largest selection at the lowest prices!

Old 03-15-2011, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks, my audio is done and my connections to the car audio industry keep me well away from retail prices I will definitely look into that mirror though thanks!