Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

All I wanted was a pepsy... I mean, a subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 AM
All I wanted was a pepsy... I mean, a subwoofer

Hi everyone!

I have a base 2009 Honda Fit. Does anybody know the answer to this mind boggling question (I searched to the best of my ability and nothing):

When you add RCA outs to the base head unit (non-navigation) will the audio being outputted by those RCA's be affected by the head unit's Bass/Treble/Balance controls?

The reason I'm asking is that once I hook up my sub I will want to cut the bass coming out of the stock speakers using the head unit's basic eq'ing functions so I can free up some frequency range and give the stock speakers a little more room to breathe (clearer sound will result).

I'm afraid that if this can't be done I'll end up making myself buy a new HU all together--and I really dont' wanna make myself do that now... the economy is not the best

Anyway, if you know please shed some light!

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
If you are using a line output converter it should work, however because the stock head unit does not have control over the front /rear bass treble independantly then you will cut the bass from the sub also. If you use an amp that has a remote bass control you can then adjust the head unit and raise the sub bass with that. If not then you are stuck, the stock head unit is very limited, a simple $200 CD player will have more features than it easily. If you need more advice just ask :-)

Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanx for your remarks. I wanna make sure I understand this right. From what I've read there are two options to get audio to an amp:

1. Tap the signal from a speaker with a line-level converter (I've ruled this one out since, as you stated, there is no independent control for each speaker so it'd be pointless taming th bass from all speakers and then cranking it up at the amp--stupid).

2. Getting line-levels from the back of the actual base HU. Now the question is: will this output give me a clean signal or will the head unit EQ changes also be present?

Do you know what I mean?

I'm afraid the answer will be YES but just wAnted to make sure.

Thanx!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
The only way to add RCA's to an OEM H/U is by using a LOC. If you have an EE degree and can rework the output circuit of the radio you could add an output but it's much cheaper and easier to just buy an aftermarket radio and dash kit.

An other option to your original question is to tap into the radio's speaker outputs and use an outboard amplifier with some sort of tuning capability. This type of amp is usually very expensive and not really worth what you are trying to accomplish. Granted the LP filter of the amp will get rid of any highs that would be going to the sub.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 AM
Damn, then new head unit it is. The end. Thanks all for the input.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:32 AM
I used the audiocontrol LC2i to add an amp to my fit .. It's fully adjustable and sends a 9V signal to the amps pre amp input .. It cost me $100 but was worth every penny !! I'm trying to get rid of it now due to complete system upgrade I'm doing