Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

GD Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
GD Head Unit

Hey guys!

I was on here a while back but I'm pretty much not a modder anymore.

I have a stock 08 blurple GD right now, but I'm getting a hankering to replace the head unit.

I'm looking for HU suggestions, been out of the audio game for so long. I don't really have a brand preference, just something that'll integrate nicely into the look of the car.

I'd like BT, Sat Radio (still got my life subscription), and Ipod control. If it can add on a steering wheel remote, that'd be ideal as well.

Also, which of the two install kits is better? I read a lot of threads about it, but couldn't find a definitive answer. Back when I first got the car, only one was available, and were both considered garbage.

Don't really have a budget. I have a discrete GPS with an A pillar mount that I want to keep, so I'm not needing anything with GPS, and I'd like to be able to remove the faceplate, as I'm in public parking all the time for work.

i do have that ipod dealie that plugs into the changer port, but i've never gotten it to work well (ie without hiss/noise).

Thanks much!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I usually suggest the kenwood x794. Its an excelon deck and and you can find it for about 160 on amazon IIRC. 5 band parametric eq, time alignment, plenty of crossover options, ipod/usb/aux/steeringwheel/cd you name it, if you want bluetooth I suggest the x994 but bluetooth sound quality is not up to par for me.

The scosche kit should do you fine, if there is a metra kit those are ussually better quality though.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 AM
cool! thanks.

after doing some research i think i'm going to try the jvc kdr820bt. that has all the features i want in a single DIN, ipod, bt calling, a2dp, and satellite upgrade down the road if i want to go that route, gonna hold off on that for now. no steering wheel remote, but i'll survive!

thanks, i think i'll get a metra kit as well, i like the look of that with single DIN better.

i keep audiobooks and podcasts on my phone, and music on my ipod, so i'd like to be able to stream the AB/PCs to the radio. sound quality isn't super important there, as they're already crazy compressed.

thanks!