Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY: Auxiliary on Base Fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 02:06 PM
So I just spent about an hour trying - unsuccessfully - to get the center console out of my Fit. I tried following the MusicLink directions, and was able to get to the step after you've marked the air temp/vent cables with a marker and taken them out of the clips. Then the instructions were ridiculously unclear: "Pull the center panel out toward you (seven clips)". My center panel would not budge. At all. Do I just pull harder? Did anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2007, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Keep pulling it harder...it will slowly come out eventually.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
DId you remove the two screws that are deep under the console? The instructions point to two screws that you reach through the underside of the center console they are pretty far up the console.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by nttdemented
DId you remove the two screws that are deep under the console? The instructions point to two screws that you reach through the underside of the center console they are pretty far up the console.
good question,also try to use an extension socket wrench to pull those two screws that are deep under the console,this will make it easier.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
3.5mm wall mount (semi-successful)!!

Smeister,

I followed your directions with a twist from Nttdmented. I used a 3.5mm wall mount jack from Digi-key, cat-5 cable, with some ID-bit audio cable. After the installation, I noticed only the right speaker would come on. I re-did the installation and the same thing happen. But, when I pull the 3.5mm jack out a little bit both speaker would come on. Do you have any clue what happened or where I went wrong? Please help!!

Old 07-14-2007, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sexefobgrl
Smeister,

I followed your directions with a twist from Nttdmented. I used a 3.5mm wall mount jack from Digi-key, cat-5 cable, with some ID-bit audio cable. After the installation, I noticed only the right speaker would come on. I re-did the installation and the same thing happen. But, when I pull the 3.5mm jack out a little bit both speaker would come on. Do you have any clue what happened or where I went wrong? Please help!!
Hmmm is it the same exact wall mount jack that I posted?

Old 07-14-2007, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Does the jack you used have 4 terminals or 3?

Old 07-15-2007, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, Smeister, it is the exact wall mount you used. I requested a quote from CUI Inc and they re-directed me to Digi-Key. The wall mount has 4 terminals.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by sexefobgrl
Yes, Smeister, it is the exact wall mount you used. I requested a quote from CUI Inc and they re-directed me to Digi-Key. The wall mount has 4 terminals.
I am having the exact same problem. I think I am going to buy the honda part, once I have a bit more cash

Old 07-30-2007, 12:57 AM
This is a great thread, thanks to all who have helped out.

I'm looking for anywhere (either online or in the Boston area) where I can find an individual pin id bit cable. Anyone know where this is available? Maybe my google skills are subpar, but all I can find are the 2-pin versions.

For the record, tried it today, took the better part of the day (including two trips to the hardware store mainly to get a long enough screwdriver/extendable socket.) I used some crappy ribbon cable from my work with crimped RS-232 female headers from Fry's connected to the OEM aux jack. Knew the cable was a bad idea (but was all that was handy on Friday.) The good news is that it works, the bad news is the sound is beyond terrible. Sounds like it's coming from a distant well. My guess is the cable was a very poor choice. Any advice besides replace the cable? Now that I have everything I need and I know how everything comes off, at least it shouldn't take me nearly as long to to replace the cable this time.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:59 AM
A friend and I just did the mod posted with the Honda aux input and it worked beautifully. It took a ridiculous amount of time to get out that stereo (better part of 45 minutes). I see no need for a theft deterrent system when the stereo is mounted like that because most thieves would probably give up, but it was an amusing experience.

Thanks for the information, it was a great help.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Today buy OEM Aux Jack $10 dollars

Old 09-23-2007, 11:33 PM
This is a great thread. I am in the middle of installing this into my car. I am using female D-sub pins, a Cat5 cable, and a 5 pin phone jack from radio shack. I am following the music link instructions to remove the stereo, but am stuck on step 13. The unit is in there tight, but ill give it another shot tomorrow. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by accord sir
Today buy OEM Aux Jack $10 dollars

here you can buy the actual thing. (I think it is the same thing) it is from a new civic
Honda Civic Audio and Electronic Accessories- 2006 - 2007

secons option is the auxillary jack

Last edited by Solscud007; 09-28-2007 at 03:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-04-2007, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
I just found my last 3.5mm wallmount jack if anyone wants it.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Hiya,

Great thread.
I too have a fit with out the wonderful Aux port, but I think the OEM wiring has the connector, I pulled the center console apart (was looking for a rattle) and figure I take a look at the wiring,... well low and behold, looks like there is the OEM Aux jack connector, just no Jack. But after reading this thread, looks like the jack is a little big (maybe, I didn't take too long of a look, as it started raining and I had to pack it up, not having a garage sucks) Anyway, from this pic:

It almost looks like it has 10 pins, but I can see only 5 with connectors, can someone with a FIT sport or the guys back in Canada confirm that they have THE SAME OEM connector? With 5 pins with connectors and another 5 on the bottom without? OH BTW, I HAVE AN JDM FIT , (living in Japan at the moment, originally from Canada) And it has a GPS Navi system, so I not sure if it'll just be plug and play even if I can just get the OEM Jack.

Oh yeah, and TV too, (via ONESEG)

No, I don't speak much Japanese, I can get by, usually with A BIG Voice and italianesque hand gestures.
Anyway, so Yeah, I dunno, even if I can get the OEM Aux JACK if this will even work, or if its even plugged in on the other end at the back of the Navi head unit. I might see if any of the Used shops have a center console I can have just the jack, Heck maybe I will find one with even the arm rest, (yeah, I have been reading the armrest thread too) That is really a pet peeve for me ATM, But I don't want to spend like $250 just for that.

Oh and another question (sorry for going OT, Mods move this if needed)
I have this black thing in the center console too, next to the acc. plug:

Took it out to take a pic of the Part #

AND it plugs into the other little green connector (in the first pic)

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great! I'm just curious as what this is.

Oh sorry one more question, anyone got a link to a ONLINE parts catalog for the Fit, yes, Then if I need a part I can just go to the dealer and point at the picture, or give them a part #.

Thanks guys
Sorry for the long first post

Old 10-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Ok, after smurfing around the net for a bit, I found the college hills video for the armrest install and the connector that they unplug from the Aux Jack is the same as what I've got in my stock wiring harness, now I need to get the Aux jack and give it a try.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Just to let you all know that I used this guide as the basis for my AUX input install on my FIT base. Seems to be working perfectly, although I made a small modification and used the Radioshack 5 terminal Auxillary face mount device. Also, I wasn't happy soldering on to the end of the pins, so if you just unscrew the rear cover (1st one to come off in order), it's much easier to solder to the flat horizontal of the pins there with a fine tip soldering iron.

Thanks again for the guide and all the comments, it was a great help!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Can someone confirm that these pin connections are just KK style pins (like you'd see on any computer motherboard)? It seems like this is true. The little ends that people like db_et_ac have used to make things work sure look like plain old computer parts. I'm thinking of constructing my own cable with those little pins on each end.

It looks to me like Molex KK connectors would do the trick. They come in 0.156" pitch and 0.100" pitch -- the distance between each of the pins. From db_et_ac's description of his cable, it seems like this must be 0.100" pitch pins (2.54mm) -- which are more standard on motherboards and the backs of CD-ROM drives.

Can someone confirm that this is the pitch is being used in both the Sport Aux port and the back of the head unit?

Last edited by b4favre; 11-12-2007 at 11:43 PM. Reason: More detail
Old 11-15-2007, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
hey, i was just wondering if it was necessary or not, to disconnect the battery when doing this mod, since I haven't seen anything mentioned about it. tomorrow i should be getting my aux port so i just wanted to make sure. i'll probably do it anyways just top be on the safe side, i just wanted clarification

Quick Reply: DIY: Auxiliary on Base Fit