Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Match the bass from a factory Ford Mach system (36Hz)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Match the bass from a factory Ford Mach system (36Hz)?

I had a '99 Mercury Sable with a premium sound system (Mach), but replaced the Sable with my '07 Fit. The Mach system was very good for my tastes and sounded like there was a subwoofer, but there wasn't. It had an amp in the trunk and four 6x9 speakers. The two fronts were in the doors and the rears were in the rear deck, behind the seats pointing up towards the the rear window. I know that this Mach system was able to clearly produce a 36Hz sound (never tested lower frequencies). Some forums estimate the Mach amp at 20W RMS x 4.

The Fit Sport stock doesn't compare to the Mach, so I'm taking steps trying to replicate the bass, mainly for folk music hearing the thump of the Upright Bass. So far, I have a Pioneer DEH-P8400BH (14Wx4) and Polk db6501 (10-100W) in the front doors. This setup lacks bass, and I suspect it's because of a lack of amp. If so, below is the option I am considering now:

(1) get a 100Wx2 amp (Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Punch); leave sport stock speakers in rear doors for fill

Will amping the Polks be enough to match the Mach setup? The Mach rear speakers did have 4ohm and 25W stamped on the magnet; they looked like the ones at this link: If amping the Polks is not enough, then I'm considering either of these options:

(2) get a 75Wx4 amp (Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 Punch) and install two quality 6x9s in the rear doors.
A concern is that the 6x9s must be shallow enough clear the window, but this could diminish the bass performance?

(3) Do option (1) then get a portable, powered sub for the trunk
I would prefer to forgo this option

Other options for future consideration:

(4) Do sound deadening on the front doors

Any advice from those of you with lots of experience with audio and the Fit?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:31 PM
I installed a JVC navigation unit into my fit, and it WOKE the damn speakers up.

Even with zero bass adders, its almost too much for the speakers to deal with even when cut off at 120Hz

I am going to cut the speakers at 200-225Hz with a sloping cut (pretty much a severely reduced 100-150Hz range, tapering to the 200-225Hz cutoff)

Going to match this with a Pioneer slim sub in a box. The pioneer responds up to 1,000Hz, so im going to use its amp to cut it off at 500Hz, as my deck only allows up to 250Hz cutoof before the option to make subwoofer channel full range shows up.

Pioneer is gonna be getting around 300-400rms.

so to make this shorter, keep teh stock speakers, get a headunit that allows a generous supply of settings, and grab a good quality 8 or 10 inch subwoofer and a clean quality amp and you will be good to go

EDIT go to sonicelectronix.com and look at the LANZAR lineup of subwoofers. Cheap as hell, and good quality! Match it with a quality amp. read the dangum ratings!