Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Front speakers + amp, or 4 speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Front speakers + amp, or 4 speakers?

I upgraded my HU in my car, but the sound is still not what I am looking for. I'm not big on tons of bass, I would much prefer a crisp, full sound. I don't need huge subs rattling everything.

So, I don't have a whole lot of cash, I can afford to either replace the front two speakers, and get an amp, or replace all 4 speakers without an amp. I think my HU is powerful enough to power all the speakers, but I hear amps make worlds of difference.

Here is the HU I got: JVC KW-XR810 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

I am leaning towards the amp. I don't think I would need an overly expensive one, and 4 channels should do just fine. I bet if I replace the front two speakers and get an amp, it will make the rear speakers sound better as well.

Also, will an amp fit under the passenger side seat?

Any advice would be appreciated. Never really upgraded the sound system in a car before, previous cars have all had REALLY NICE sound systems in it, last car had 8 stock speakers and came with upgraded sound.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
An amp will help as well as better speakers. You are right that you don't need an expensive amp, but you will reap more benefit from getting some good speakers. I would recommend going by your local specialty shop and give a few different sets of speakers a listen. They should be able to have it so that you can hear them with just H/U power as well as with an amp so you can hear the difference. Adding an amp will allow you to listen louder with more clarity. If you don't necessarily need the added volume then the new speakers may be all you need.

When you go to the shop take a CD that you know fairly well (that's not full of foul language but a good representation of your normal listening habits) and go to town. Try out a set that's around $100 and go up to as high as they offer to see if you can hear any difference and to see what's worth it to you.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Get a set of components for the front

Get a 4 channel amp, use the front channels for the components, use the rear channels on a 10' woofer.

Forget about the rear speakers.

Problem solved

Old 04-24-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't want a woofer. Takes up too much space, and I really don't like how they sound usually. All you end up hearing is bass. I'm more looking for sound quality on a budget over loudness or bass.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Coppatop85
I don't want a woofer. Takes up too much space, and I really don't like how they sound usually. All you end up hearing is bass. I'm more looking for sound quality on a budget over loudness or bass.
Just trust me, a 4 channel amp + a 10' sub and no rear speakers is exactly what you want on a budget.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by britdevine
Just trust me, a 4 channel amp + a 10' sub and no rear speakers is exactly what you want on a budget.
I need the space though, which is a huge reason I don't want the sub -- I hike/mountain bike/camp/snowboard/etc. I can fit a mattress in the back of my fit when it is folded down. Don't want a sub

Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Coppatop85
I need the space though, which is a huge reason I don't want the sub -- I hike/mountain bike/camp/snowboard/etc. I can fit a mattress in the back of my fit when it is folded down. Don't want a sub
Then just get a 2 channel amp and a good set of components.

Forget about doing anything to rear speakers. Just run them off the deck or unhook them.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Front speakers is all you need so get the amp and front components.