Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Sane/sensible to mod a jut-out in Fit interior panelling?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Sane/sensible to mod a jut-out in Fit interior panelling?

I test drove a Fit DX last week. I have to sit up close because it mitigates discomfort from back problems. However, a jut-out for the anti-skid button presses against my left knee:

I'm not keen on selecting another car. The choice of a car is (to me) a complex decision. Changing the choice due to a wrinkle that could be fixed with a few hundred bucks seems like a overreaction from the perspective of decision optimization perspective.

Is it sensible to modify a brand new car to replace the jut-out with a flush flat panel (with wiring & button intact)?

I visited a closer dealer today to get pictures of the jut-out so that I can get estimates for modifying it. This dealer only had a sports model. I was a bit perturbed by the fact that today, the panel did not seem as easy to remove as last week when the sales person fussed around for just a few seconds before having it removed. The seam around the removable piece (if it is evey removable in this model) seems larger, too. Perhaps the sports model is not as identical to the DX as people think?

The sales person was helpful in clarifying that I wouldn't be looking for a body shop. I would be looking for people who do car upholstery -- they also modify interiors.

Holy freaking, are those photos huge. Wish the img code had parameters for size scaling.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:00 PM
I think you could do it for a reasonable price at one of those shops. I bet they would just cut the button panel so it only juts out like half an inch, and plastic weld a flat piece up, then spray it with a matching vinyl texture to make it appear stock

Old 10-27-2013, 11:40 AM
I agree that it should be comparatively easy and inexpensive to modify. The whole panel unsnaps quite easily (there's even a pull handle/slot on the bottom of the bump out), and there's plenty of space behind for the wiring and stuff.

It does indeed look like you're sitting very far forward. Did you try telescoping the steering wheel out and moving the seat back an inch or two? Or is it the leg position that matters most for your back? Ideally, it would be best to be farther back in the event of an accident, but of course you do need to sit so that your back doesn't bother you too much.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the vote of confidence, 13fit, DrewE.

Agreed that sitting further back is better in the event of a collision. The telescoping steering wheel helps, but I wish the pedals were telescoping as well.