Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Separating seat-cover glue for heated seat installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Separating seat-cover glue for heated seat installation

I've only just discovered that the seat covers on the Fit are glued on. I'd prefer not to get seat covers.

How disastrous would it be to break the glue (I've done a small patch and it seems fine but I don't know the long term consequences of having the cloth unglued from the back.)

Would I need to re-glue everything (heating pad to base, seat material to heating pad)?

If anyone had added heated seats without adding a seat cover, please let me know!

Thanks,
Colin

Old 11-24-2013, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
I think once is out, you have to replace it, unless you can fix the cover to to the seat with those metallic rings.... I ve seen few heated seats threats and most of them have changed the cover for something new....
If you get to see how are the original seats with heated pads on, that would be a good guide for your consideration...
Also when you take it off ( if you do), be careful not to damage the sensor at the surface of the bottom cushion....

Old 11-24-2013, 11:11 PM
We're leaning towards seat covers at this point. :-\

Is the sensor something to do with the airbag? Another thread mentioned that the passenger seat can only have a heating pad on the bottom "because of the airbag sensor in the seat back", but I have no idea what that means. Any idea?

Thanks!
-Colin

Old 11-25-2013, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by colin_f
We're leaning towards seat covers at this point. :-\

Is the sensor something to do with the airbag? Another thread mentioned that the passenger seat can only have a heating pad on the bottom "because of the airbag sensor in the seat back", but I have no idea what that means. Any idea?

Thanks!
-Colin
Are we having fun yet Colin?

First I have seen about the passenger seat back. I have the pad on mine and have not set off an airbag or what ever.

Maybe try Google and see if someone has done something similar to another car.

bill

Old 11-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Are we having fun yet Colin?
So far our mods aren't going so well, it's true.

- Add mesh to front grill to prevent stones from bending the radiator fins: bumped the radiator fins, bending some of them just like I was trying to prevent.

- Sound dampening: a LOT of messy work, very little effect. (Damaged rocker panel in the process after mis-reading Honda's jack point description -- jacking on a narrow lip is just not intuitive.) In "sound dampening's" defense: we didnt' use mass loaded vinyl which probably would have help more.

- Heated seats: finally got the wiring sorted only to find the cloth is glued down.

- LED Lights: Haven't arrived yet. Dare I ask "what could go wrong?" :-)

Still, I've learned a lot about the car in the process, which will hopefully help in the years to come. I feel a lot more confident about how to go about making future changes.

First I have seen about the passenger seat back. I have the pad on mine and have not set off an airbag or what ever.
Here's the thread about it, in case it's of interest to anyone else. I'll get googling! Thanks.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Bill, any specific position for the passenger seat back pad?
How often do you run it for?

I've never heard of this being an issue. Could be a GD only thing?

I was thinking of installing heaters this year, mainly for my gf (passenger side), and knowing her she'll be running it hot. The last thing I want to do is set off an airbag.

So far our mods aren't going so well, it's true.
Don't sweat it, one of my first electrical mods was the LED ignition key ring, install was easy.. I thought it was done, and working and then about a week later it started glitching.... thinking it was my wiring job, I go and check all the connections only to sever one OEM wire (by accident), I practically freaked out till I had my mechanic & an electrician do checks... When I finally got a new one (which worked), I was finally eased a little... the new one's been working perfect for years now.

As for the seats, if your going with the OEM cloth, not only are they glued, I believe they also have those "hog clips" (metal rings) to clip them to the seat... definitely get the Clazzio seat covers for an easier install, the all PVC set (front & back), is a really good deal.

Here's the thread about it, in case it's of interest to anyone else. I'll get googling! Thanks.
Post back if you find anything.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Bill, any specific position for the passenger seat back pad?
How often do you run it for?

I've never heard of this being an issue. Could be a GD only thing?

I was thinking of installing heaters this year, mainly for my gf (passenger side), and knowing her she'll be running it hot. The last thing I want to do is set off an airbag.

Don't sweat it, one of my first electrical mods was the LED ignition key ring, install was easy.. I thought it was done, and working and then about a week later it started glitching.... thinking it was my wiring job, I go and check all the connections only to sever one OEM wire (by accident), I practically freaked out till I had my mechanic & an electrician do checks... When I finally got a new one (which worked), I was finally eased a little... the new one's been working perfect for years now.

As for the seats, if your going with the OEM cloth, not only are they glued, I believe they also have those "hog clips" (metal rings) to clip them to the seat... definitely get the Clazzio seat covers for an easier install, the all PVC set (front & back), is a really good deal.

Post back if you find anything.
I just put them where it seemed appropriate ie up enough that you would lean against the lowest part. I had never heard of the pass side back being a problem with the SRS until I read this. I leave them on until they get too hot. They do take a bit to get warm. Maybe a mile or two. I think the thickness of the Clazzios has something to do with that.

LOL Keyring light. I did install a couple of times before it finally worked. I broke the wiring on the LED.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Took a while to find it, but in this thread & page ITEM9's Build Thread: Rotrex Supercharged PWP EX 6MT - Page 27 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

It appears there's no sensors in the actual passenger seat back, there are however 2 weight sensors/load cells in the passenger seat bottom. In the seat back, the air bag is on the side, so I don't know how the heat could affect the sensors.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Took a while to find it, but in this thread & page ITEM9's Build Thread: Rotrex Supercharged PWP EX 6MT - Page 27 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

It appears there's no sensors in the actual passenger seat back, there are however 2 weight sensors/load cells in the passenger seat bottom. In the seat back, the air bag is on the side, so I don't know how the heat could affect the sensors.

Good find. I feel better that my passenger will not be launched into the windshield with a warm butt.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
i went with the wet okele seat covers with heaters in them. works very well. something you might try is getting an entire seat from a totaled fit. easier to work on, and if it all goes wrong, out some money, but haven't ruined your current seat.