Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Dashboard creaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
I took it to the dealer for the 4th time and if their padding doesnt work, at least now ill know how to get in there thanks !

Old 11-28-2006, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eyedryve
Fixed the dash creak/rattle!!!

Opened the glove box, unlatched the rubber stops at the sides. Flashlight looking up inside. One hand reached up under the dash top and the ducts for the vents and defrosters... other hand tapping on the top of the dashboard to cause the resonance/rattle. Found that the dash and ducts are either one piece molded together or very well connected. Reached ALL the way to the front of the underside of the dash, and found a 3/4" space to the firewall. Took (of all things...) an unused golf club grip- weird, I know- and wedged the living Sh*t out of it up in there. Tapped on the dash, no resonance. Drive the worst road- no rattles now. And, it's still cold here this week- should be worse given the recent past.

Now if I can just fix the friggin doors, I'll be set. I've ordered Dampening mat and rattle pad from Second Skin Audio which I plan to install this weekend for the doors, and hopefully, it will be silent. And better sound quality to boot!

I'll let you know...
I'll check this out this evening. I just started noticing a rattle coming from the center of the dash. A swift hit with the fist didn't stop it so I figured I would have to dig deeper which you already have. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
Getting the same rattles in the center of the dash and the "am/fm" button. Since my B1 service is due soon, I'll let the dealer fix it. Still, it's annoying as hell and after a 800 mile trip, I'm slightly deaf from cranking the stereo trying to cover it up.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Well, here it is a year later, 26,000 miles, and I still haven't done anything about the rattle in the dash. The only time I hear it is when someone is riding in the car with me. When I'm by myself I have the radio cranked and I'm not deaf yet. Maybe I'll get to it this winter. I hate to think about letting the dealer look at it and how many days they would have it to tear apart the dash.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Same with my car. Always when it's cold. We've had 20 degree weather recently. But it's done it prior to that. Doesn't matter it's cold. Left front and right front where plastic dash meets the window. Rubbing sound. Annoying. I'll try the golf club grip thing, but what about the driver side and where?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
mine's been rattling louder this past month, i think it's as loud as it will get now. but it doesn't really bother me that much so i think i'll be alright.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:08 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
creaking

My wife's Toyota Yaris hatch has creaking all over. It's way worse than the Fit especially on the highway. The creaking comes from not only the dash but other plastic side panels in the back, and even the visors. Yes my Fit creaks, but thankfully not as loud as the Yaris!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:12 AM
my gauge cluster bezzel/ dome over cluster area rattles, really annoying on highway with seemed concrete. i can put my hand on it and it stops, but hard to drive while holding your dash lol ... too lazy to go to honda.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Retired Moderator
Yeah I got that annoying rattle on the passenger side. Sounds like its coming from the glove box, but I know that isn't the case...oh well, that's what my music is for LOL

Old 01-11-2008, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
my glove box does rattle - last summer i was driving on gravel and im like wtf - another sound. I think in spring ill put some foam between the space to firm it up or ill just take it to honda thats 5mins from work.
As for my crunching/rattling/squeaking dash, i second the music answer.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kz098123
Mine squeaks only when the weather is cold, like less than 50deg F.
I notice my rattle/creak under these same conditions.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Dropped my Fit off this morning at the dealer to have the center dash rattle and the AM/FM button fixed. Apparently they believe both are caused by the same issue, but we'll see. I assume the entire dash will come out, but hopefully it'll be fixed. I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Im having problems with rattles also. Mainly near the far front drivers side pillar/dash area. when i push down on the dash in the far right corner closest to the windshield it stops. but still cant figure out how to fix it. The spot only rattles sometimes and in different temp conditions, which doesnt make any sense. damn rattles are drivin me insane though, the ipod is the only thing keeping me from tearing the dash out.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
been covered..

my dash rattles like there is no tomorrow

Honda doesn' t care. effers

Old 04-16-2008, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Took mine to the dealer about a month ago for the airbag wire recall and asked them to check it out. They had the car for a day. When I picked it up they said they never heard the rattle or noise. I was in a hurry so I headed out but I'm going to stop back next week when I have more time and take one of their technicians for a ride and show him the noise. I only have 1500 miles left on the warranty so I definitely want to get it taken care of before that.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Epic Battle vs Honda

Does it rattle when its cold? like +8celcius or less? Like my many trolling posts on this topic, once it warms up mine rattles less and crunches more. And like i've probably said before and others will agree, most honda techs i've tried to get to resolve my issue have never actually suceeded so i wish you well

Old 04-17-2008, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, it is worse when it is cold and I only hear it when I hit bumps when it is warm. I have a friend who works for Honda and he asked me to be diligent with the dealer to resolve the issue instead of fixing it myself. He said the dealers have been asked to step up their level of service to help keep and gain market share. So, I told him I would give it a shot but come this summer when it warms so I can work on it, I was going to take care of it.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Dashboard creaking...

Dropped the car off on Tuesday after they had it all day last Friday. Told me the windshield needed to be removed to access the front edge of the dash. They plan on padding the leading edge and apparently underneath as well. Unfortunately, they broke the windshield in the process so that's being replaced. Or fortunately as the case may be, since it had caught a few rocks and had a few small chips.
So, they say it'll be Friday (tomorrow) at the earliest since the windshield requires gluing and curing time before they road test it. Not sure about that AM/FM button since that really seems like a manufacturing defect. But if they think the dash and radio button are related, I'll let them fix it.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:01 AM
Angry Speedometer rattle

My rattle is coming from the top of my speedometer, when Im driving and push on it, it goes away, WTF

Old 04-28-2008, 05:02 AM

Quick Reply: Dashboard creaking