Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

The Terrorist has a crash :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
The Terrorist has a crash :(

Hey guys
Well, it happened on the 1st November, at 8:30 in the morning. A friend and I were on our way to a racetrack, and I took this road as a short cut as we are suffering through a lot of roadworks for the 2010 World Cup Soccer.
Anyways, this road is a slippery S-bend with a weird camber which catches you out very quickly if you are going to fast, so I have huge respect for this road.
Unfortunately, on this day, it got me anyways.....
Its a double lane road, and I had just moved to the right to get past another car, going about 37mph when my front wheels hit a patch of water and I accelerated, and thats when the car just totally lost control, swerving to the left, I counter-steered to the right, and it whipped to the left again, hitting the pavement square on, ramping over it, through some small wooden barriers and coming to rest in a park about 20 metres away from the road. It was the single most scary experience of my life, being my first accident since i started driving 7 years ago. Thank God no one was injured, and no other cars or pedestrians were involved.
My first fear was that the car would be written off, and it one stage it was but i fought and begged the insurers to fix the car and they agreed. The first quote I got was for R83 000 ($11216.22) but myself and the accessor negotiated them down to R60 000 ($8108.11). Most of the front suspension had to be replaced, wheel bearings, struts, stabiliser bar, side shafts etc. Had to get a new bumper with 2 new foglights, new side sill and new oil sump as I hit the old one on the pavement as the car ramped over it.
All in all its taken 4 weeks to assess and get repaired and I should hopefully be getting the car back this week, its just in a massive queue for the paint booth. I cant wait!!!
Ive been driving a Yaris for the past 3 weeks and it SUCKS lol.
Name:  14.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  64.8 KB
Name:  110.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  69.6 KB
Name:  15.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  60.4 KB
Name:  18.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  68.4 KB
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  44.0 KB

Old 11-28-2009, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
ur car was looking really good.. sorry about your accident hope u get ur car back to normal soon, its good that u werent hurt

Old 11-28-2009, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
dang that really sucks i bet that shit was scary. i had experience where i was in the fast lane and spun across 4 lanes all the way to the emergency lane but didnt hit anything. scary

Old 11-28-2009, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
The estimate sounds insane to me.... Even at my advanced age I would be able to do all of the repairs except for straightening bent suspension mounting points but I'd even give that a try.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
can i buy those l.e.d side mirrors off you...

Old 11-28-2009, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry about your accident!
Good that you got out of it with no injury.

Hope you got to keep the car and the insurance company bring it back to former state. It would be too bad to scrap that car, since it will be very hard to get a new one in the same marvelous and unique color.

But I can see why you crash; youre driving on the WRONG side of the road :P

No, Just kidding
But it is wierd to see pictures of roads like that...

Old 11-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope that you can get it fixed and back on the road real soon!

Cat :x

Old 11-28-2009, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Wow at the right front tire
Good that they let you fix the Fit.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
Thanx guys
Yeah Im extremely lucky to be sitting here, I could have collided with another car on the left, or hit a pedestrian or cyclist, or even hit the pavement at a slight angle and rolled the car.
That right front rim has a CHUNK of alloy missing out of it, it took so much punishment from hitting the pavement.
@ Texas Coyote - Im not sure for what reason the panelbeater tried to get the car written off first, maybe they would have made more money selling it like it is, but they got a huge fright when I managed to get a quote direct from a Honda dealer to do repairs and parts, for almost $2700 less. Then the panelbeaters quickly changed their tune and brought their quote down so they could still get the job.

Sorry overheatedfit, the car is staying in one piece

Lol @ Fonix, hey, we are on the right side of the road here :P
Yeah, as stoopid as it sounds although maybe you guys will understand, this car has A LOT of sentimental value to me, and there was no ways I was going to just give up on it. Id wanted it for so long, and Ive spent so much time, effort and money on it, I want to keep it until the wheels fall off. That is until the wheels fall off naturally lol, not when I break them off :P

I cant wait for this week already!!!!!