Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

wood shifter knobs

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Rad
wood shifter knobs

So with winter bringing loads of down time, i got the idea to make myself some custom shifter knobs. My Buddy Matt Dove has a studio where i was able to start messing around with some ideas and that is where this first knob comes from.

I cant remember the type of wood this is, but i just kept it in its original state (apart from sanding, staining and adding poly). Its huge and only used for short periods of time (car shows/weekends/etc.)

Name:  6dp8V.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  144.0 KB

I call it "The Log"

This next one was cut and sanded down from a general hardwood dowel i got at home depot. Im not sure what direction to go with this little guy so he's staying plain for now.

Name:  9SsbP.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  76.0 KB

I still have about 2ft of dowel left to cut and make into all sorts of fun wooden knobs. As long as things continue to go smoothly id like to continue making these and sell them.

yay wood!

Old 01-28-2011, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
The Log is pretty awesome dude. Is that bartape on your steering wheel/e brake?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Rad
Originally Posted by Hobbaswaggle
The Log is pretty awesome dude. Is that bartape on your steering wheel/e brake?
yeah Bicycle bar tape, although im going to replace it with black. im getting sick of the white and i think its starting to look a bit ricey

Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
the bad thing about white bar tape is it gets dirty, especially on a bicycle - it starts to look pretty gross haha

hey the wooden shift knobs are awesome, please pm me if you ever decide to sell some.

would it be possible to make a spherical one, because i may be seriously interested in that

Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Rad
Originally Posted by doctordoom
the bad thing about white bar tape is it gets dirty, especially on a bicycle - it starts to look pretty gross haha

hey the wooden shift knobs are awesome, please pm me if you ever decide to sell some.

would it be possible to make a spherical one, because i may be seriously interested in that
im sure i could learn how to make one, my buddy who owns a local art studio does a ton of woodworking so ill have him give me a crash course on it. Ill let you know!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 AM
im posting in the right thread this time....looks awesome, vacuum ur car! lol sort of makes me want to do a bamboo one.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Rad
So with winter bringing loads of down time, i got the idea to make myself some custom shifter knobs. My Buddy Matt Dove has a studio where i was able to start messing around with some ideas and that is where this first knob comes from.

I cant remember the type of wood this is, but i just kept it in its original state (apart from sanding, staining and adding poly). Its huge and only used for short periods of time (car shows/weekends/etc.)

I call it "The Log"

Am I the only one here that thinks this looks absolutely hideous? I applaud your efforts to be different, but I'm sorry that just looks terrible. A shifter like that belongs in some redneck C10 or Blazer, not a Honda.

And what the hell is up with the bicycle tape? Tape and plastic are not a good combination.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Rad
Am I the only one here that thinks this looks absolutely hideous? I applaud your efforts to be different, but I'm sorry that just looks terrible. A shifter like that belongs in some redneck C10 or Blazer, not a Honda.

And what the hell is up with the bicycle tape? Tape and plastic are not a good combination.[/quote]

The Log is meant to be something silly of course, it is certainly not a daily shifter. The bar tape was 100% rainy-day cabin fever idea that ive been too lazy to make better

Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Rad
Originally Posted by 5speedwonder
im posting in the right thread this time....looks awesome, vacuum ur car! lol sort of makes me want to do a bamboo one.
its mega-dusty in there. Vacuum will happen soon.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 PM
That is ghetto fabulous!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 PM
hex
really good ideas. i agree that the log is insane if you were to ever use that on a day-to-day basis.

i too would be interested if you made a spherical shift knob. (gets some pics up!)
problem is with metal shift knobs is that they get hot in the sun.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
cost efficient!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:08 AM
hmmm bicycle bar tape. never seen that before.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Here is a knob I made for a different car I own, and I am thinking of making something or other for the fit as well....

Unfinished (turned and sanded, but no oil):

Finished with 8 coats of tung oil and installed:

I have since made a shifter boot for that car, but I don't have any pictures of it.

Zach

Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Good concepts. I did something similar back in 06 in a college art class. I used the wooden knob as a concept, then I used it to make a mold to make a solid bronze shift knob. Everytime I'd pour it the mold would blow out tho.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:35 PM
A good thing it did!
Just like leaving your hand on the shifter is a bad thing to do, a heavy bronze shift knob would be similarly bad. it would look cool, sure, but it would lead to premature transmission wear.

Zach