Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

DIY rear disc

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
DIY rear disc

I am attempting to use a set of rear discs from an 88 integra mainly for style points. I considered using the 90+ rear discs from integras/civics however they have trailing arms and independent rear suspension. The advantage to the older setup is the integras have a solid rear axle like our fits. The rear brackets on both the fit drums and the integra discs bolt on with 4 bolts, I will compare later this week to see how comperable they are. 86-89 integras are redily available at most yards.(I will use all new hardware however) I know there are rear disc kits available for the hefty price tag of $800 and S.E. Asia had fits with rear disc factory however I'm looking for a lower cost easily attainable solution.
I wonder how I'm going to tackle the ABS question however I noticed that the kit(AJ'S Racing I think) doesn't show any hubs so I'd assume they use the stock hubs. Any imput would be appreciated.
I will take more pics as I go so hopefully put together some sort of how-to. I noticed that someone mentioned that we have 14,000 members and not too many people are posting tech articles, this is an introduction to mine.
~Alex

Old 03-15-2007, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
So far

I have found out that the rear hubs are asymetrical, off to the yard to get another left side hub!
Those torsion bars are odd and it isn't the same on the left as it is on the right. I might as well pick up some new pads and rotors while I'm out.
~Alex

Old 03-15-2007, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Woohooo! More tech people!

If this works, then you're gonna help save $$ from a lotta Fit owners. Unfortunately, I don't know much about brakes, so I can't help much on that part... but good luck and keep us updated!

Old 03-15-2007, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Take pics of the process!!! I want to see what you are comparing!

Old 03-15-2007, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
I got a few things today including new rotors and pads. I had to find two donor cars so I could get 2 left side hubs. It's coming along and I'm taking pictures. I will drop the parts off at the machine shop tomorrow to be media blasted so everything looks nice and clean. Some of the brackets have quite a bit of rust/road dirt on them. I'm not sure what e-brake cables to use but I have a set of 1995 4-door civic ones. Sedan to sedan it should be approximately the right legnth.
~Alex

Old 03-16-2007, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
I thought thats what the Fits EBD was for? There was an article in sport compact car talking about the Scion tC's EBD and how brake setups dont matter anymore as they are electronically modulated. Gone are the days of manual proportioning valves, unless the USDM Fit Electronic Brake Distribution system is inferior to the tC's.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
I was under the impression that the USDM Fit had EBD and ABS so it would automatically adapt for the rear bias. I dropped the parts off for glass beading this morning. I look forward to the results and I got in touch with a local place to make what will amount to an adapter plate to bolt up the assembly to the Fit's rear axle.
~Alex

Old 03-17-2007, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
I measured the rotors and they're 9" I believe. These have the brackets on the top of the rotor at the 12 o'clock position unlike others that sit at the 3 o'clock. Just an update, I found someone locally to make the "adapter plate" I'll need to bolt these up. I will post pics tomorrow after I "recover" from St. Patty's day.
~Alex

Old 03-19-2007, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
I've uploaded some pictures

This is when I brought the parts home.

The shot from the backside

A breakdown of components

New parts!

Parts that have been bead blasted

Caliper bracket

Sedan cables

Close-up of the hub

Painted components

When I get the adapter plate made I'll include pics of that too. Thanks for looking.

~Alex

Old 03-19-2007, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
WOW, keep us updated! ANd if things work out, give us the name of the adaptor maker! Tell him to make at lease one extra set! I'm in!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Tagged for interest.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
nice. if it works out, there's going to be a whole lot of sold rear brakes from 1st gen tegs. there must be thousands in the junk yards cause i never see 1 on the road.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Update

Took things apart this morning. Good and bad news. The rear hubs have the magnetic pickup for the ABS system unlike that of older hondas with a tooth'd gear. This means I'll have to use the stock hub. Problem is the axle is a different diameter than the older integras. I've figured that I'll simply make a caliper bracket that'll bolt on to the flange on the axle and allow anyone to use the old integra calipers. It seems like it'd work out better to mount the calipers on the opposite sides. Just the way the e-brake cable meets up with the caliper and where the brake hose connects. Here I was this morning.

Here is what the stub axle looks like and the plate that bolts up to the solid axle.

Finally, I spent a decent amount of time double checking dimentions and it looks like this will be the template for the 1/2" thick steel caliper mounting plate. Then of course I'll have to tig the caliper-stand-off part(1 1/2" solid round with a 10mm hole through the center)

ps, my car almost got stuck in my back lot because the incline was a bit steep. That's the last time I put the Fit back there until I pour some more of a gentle ramp with some quickcrete.

~Alex

Old 03-19-2007, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Nice rendering! I hope your guy is a good fabricator! I am looking forward to hearing that "yea! it works!" Tell him to make 2 sets! Tagged like I said earlier for a pair!

Old 03-26-2007, 04:08 PM
pfft alex...why you working on bling items when you should be working on swapping a 4g63T in this...

Old 03-26-2007, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
This is pretty sweet. I got this tagged for interest too!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Update

I dropped off the template at a local shop where they're going to enter it into the milling machine and then I suppose I'd have the file, so I'd be able to use that to make future versions of this plate. It's going to be about a week or so because I was told they're a little behind in their business. I think it may turn out to be a little expensive to have these first ones made, but I am hoping to actually sell them if everything works out well. I'm treating this as not just a project that I want to take on for my car but also to perhaps turn a couple bucks while sharing it with other Fit owners.
I talked to my friend Ryan and he's agreed to sell them thru his business once things are up and running. Perhaps fellow Honda enthusiasts are familiar with Rywire - Online Store

~Alex

Last edited by slowcarguy; 03-26-2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Stupid Type-o
Old 03-27-2007, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
While I admire your enthusiasm, skill, and ingenuity, I can't see spending this much effort on something that is simply for bling.

What if this much time and effort was directed toward making the car faster rather than adding unsprung weight to the end of the car that doesn't need improved braking?

I don't mean to sound negative; maybe I'm just from a different crowd that doesn't quite understand the bling factor.

Nice work so far, though.

Mike

Old 04-08-2007, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
So thanks to a helpful FitFreak

I have the OEM part number to the rear caliper bracket and it seems much cheaper than having the plates made.....
Crap, I was hoping I had come up with something unique but alas, OEM may be the way to go.
~Alex

Old 04-08-2007, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Keep us updated man...even if it is for looks...it is an alternative to buying the kit from elsewhere for a lot more money. It also comes down to just having some fun and working on your car and being unique.

Quick Reply: DIY rear disc