Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

New Fit!! Brake question! Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Exclamation New Fit!! Brake question! Help?

Hello everyone. I am new to fitfreak.net and love it. Im so happy with my new 2007 SSM Honda Fit 5 M/T. Anyways...ive had it for about a week now and in just the past couple of days...ive noticed something a little strange. Just after leaving my house...i come to a stop sign. At the same stop sign...when i brake...the brakes feel like they are shuttering or something. After that stop though...it never happens again the rest of the day. What is it? Anyone else felt that? Thanks and this site rocks....

Old 07-28-2007, 04:03 PM
oh and...

i forgot to mention that its only happened the past couple of times im leaving the house...thanks again!

Old 07-28-2007, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Normal for the Fit, ABS is very sensitive on that car...
Everytime I brake and there is a small bump on the
road, I can feal it.

Phil.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:17 PM
oh alright cool. I love these cars though. Nice fit by the way!

Old 07-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Yup! Mine does it too. I live on a one way street and my first stop sign to the main junction is only about 7 houses down. Those brakes will be grabby at that first stop. Once that first stop is out of the way it is does not happen again. I've had my Fit since May 15th and it has done this every morning when I start out fresh but that is the cool thing about the Fit - maybe it is the Fits way of saying -" Heck with stopping lets roll down this road! LOL.

Cat :x

Old 07-28-2007, 04:50 PM
haha..yea..i hope thats what it is. lol. Does anyone know if its just the brakes breaking themselves in and/or if itll go away? just wondering...??

Old 07-29-2007, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Angry

wtf? I have the same problem, I have never felt abs kick in like this,
its a loud rattle!!!
I also have an 04 celica with abs, and it doesn't rattle, you just feel a good vibration on the brake pedal when it kicks in, no loud noises from the abs.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:48 PM
hey so ive been paying very close attention lately to this rattle/shutter at the beginning of each trip and it hasnt happened lately. Im sure it hasnt gone away...maybe its just because im taking it easier on it for the first 10 or so minutes. I hope it doesnt come back or goes away....i really do. And if it doesnt....OH WELL! Fits rock anyways

Old 07-29-2007, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
man, never felt this stutter before, unless I leave the car in gear as I brake to a really slow speed haha

Old 07-30-2007, 01:58 AM
yea..the whole car doesnt shutter...just something under the car. Its only when i push the brake pedal to stop at that first stop...then poof..gone. lol. its crazy. but yea...havnt felt it recently...its been days. Not really a huge deal..just wanted to know if it was a common occurance or trouble.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Reviving this thread... any resolutions or explanations to this problem? I have the same issues, I'm taking it in this weekend.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
My fit is almost 6 years old. and still has the same problem, even with aftermarket pads & rotors. No idea!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 PM
hmm, really curious how wide spread this is. I just put new rotor and pads on in september.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
If ABS is kicking in, it means your tires are slipping with the brakes doing their job. New pads and rotors would mean, the brakes work even "better."

Perhaps you are braking too hard. Also check the surface of the road... if it has little bumps, anything similar to a roadway expansion joint, the tires will lose traction momentarily as it crosses it, triggering the ABS.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
If ABS is kicking in, it means your tires are slipping with the brakes doing their job. New pads and rotors would mean, the brakes work even "better."

Perhaps you are braking too hard. Also check the surface of the road... if it has little bumps, anything similar to a roadway expansion joint, the tires will lose traction momentarily as it crosses it, triggering the ABS.
I appreciate the clarification on ABS and I'm well aware of it. We're not talking 60mph -> 0mph stops here. Were talking stops at speeds where tire slippage couldn't even be an issue. I can't imagine its road related since many of the guys above are describing are similar experiences. An in new york you're likely to find pots holes not little bumps or grading.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I can do high speed 60-0 stops without triggering ABS... but I have on occasion triggered ABS on supposedly gentle 30-0 stops.

Another potential trigger is a slick spot.

Or as Cat said, could be initially grabby, though there are some tires (like race tires), that aren't grabby until they warm up. It could be the stock tires are similar.

Tried new tires? (Different brand/model)

Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
hmm.. this really makes me wonder how you guys drive your cars. The only 2-3 times I have gotten the ABS to turn on is when I slam on my brakes in the snow and two of those times I was trying to get it to turn on

Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 PM
This doesn't sound like normal ABS behavior. If your ABS is activating and you are not very near or at the lock-up threshold, then something is wrong with the ABS system and it is engaging when it should not.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I went out for a drive after work... on the way home, I was braking for a light. It was pretty light braking, since I had been coasting towards the light for the last block from about 40 mph.

Just as I went over a manhole cover (a bit deep set)... my ABS triggered. It too, was very light, since I barely felt it through the brake pedal.

Take the car to the dealership... if there's a problem, get it fixed. If not... well, try changing your driving habits slightly. I know, it's blasphemy to tell someone to break old driving habits... but you never know, you might find a slightly different way to drive, that you don't mind and it clears up an issue or two with the drive.

That being said... I'm done with this thread.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Well, I went out for a drive after work... on the way home, I was braking for a light. It was pretty light braking, since I had been coasting towards the light for the last block from about 40 mph.

Just as I went over a manhole cover (a bit deep set)... my ABS triggered. It too, was very light, since I barely felt it through the brake pedal.

Take the car to the dealership... if there's a problem, get it fixed. If not... well, try changing your driving habits slightly. I know, it's blasphemy to tell someone to break old driving habits... but you never know, you might find a slightly different way to drive, that you don't mind and it clears up an issue or two with the drive.

That being said... I'm done with this thread.
Thanks for your help. You'll be happy to know that I've adjusted my driving habits because common sense says not to agitate a problem. That does not mean a problem is solved.

As I mentioned in my first post, I have an appointment at the dealership this saturday. We will see what they say.