Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Best front strut bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Best front strut bar?

Is the Mugen front strut bar something special? I ask because it's close to $300.00. but I see others that are much less expensive (like Spoon). Or is Mugen stuff just generally really pricey?

Generally is there a front strut bar that's considered "the sh*t"? Sort of the front strut bar equivalent of the Progress rear sway as far as everyone agreeing it's awesome? I'll pay for the Mugen (or whatever one) if it's the goods, just curious what the experts think.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Retired Moderator
Mugen stuff is generally pricey. Everyone has their own opinion about what is best. IMO, I think one piece designs are best, but there are some that are not like J's Racing etc. that are also very good. The spoon one is very light and strong, it is a good alternative to the Mugen one and can save you a good chunk of dough.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
The mugen bar is one of the best looking front struts IMO. The J'sRacing is nice and Beefy as well. The spoon one looks a bit flimsy.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by jsensk
Is the Mugen front strut bar something special? I ask because it's close to $300.00. but I see others that are much less expensive (like Spoon). Or is Mugen stuff just generally really pricey?

Generally is there a front strut bar that's considered "the sh*t"? Sort of the front strut bar equivalent of the Progress rear sway as far as everyone agreeing it's awesome? I'll pay for the Mugen (or whatever one) if it's the goods, just curious what the experts think.
Jeff,
I have been insisting for almost 1 1/2 years that, with no visible evidence that the struts move (no cracks or buckled paint on strut towers, not even smears from rubber mounts), strut bars are only cosmetic decorations with no actual performance effect on the Fit. This has produced a lot of yelling to the contrary.

So, with your freshly installed "riding on rails" coilover/rear sway bar suspension, would you please do me the favor of posting your own results after adding your front strut bar? Take a quick test ride in your Fit as-is to reset your impressions of cornering behavior, then put the new whatever under the hood, and take the same route again. This will be entirely subjective, as are all claims about strut bars since no one is using skid pads or any other kind of accurate, repeatable scientific measuring instruments.

Those of us with metallurgical experience have already posted that any bar that can be bent across your knee cannot possibly prevent movement of the struts (if they actually move at all). A flexible bar could only be effective if it could be adjusted by drawing the tops of the struts together with a pre-set adjustability for tension. None have that ability. To me, that fact renders all aluminum bars as ineffective.

The really expensive stainless steel bars would not flex as easily as the flimsy aluminum ones, but because they are bowed in order to follow the contour of the firewall, they still will flex to an extent if there is any mechanical force at all on the bar ends once mounted to the struts.

It looks as if your purchase of a strut bar is inevitable, and I would really appreciate your own judgment once you have it in place.

I hear the rustle of lighters and matches being prepared- have my Nomex suit on.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by manxman; 03-03-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Manxman-- well, that's why I don't have one yet! I have read yours and others' opinions on strut bars and concluded they are not necessary (then as usual several others chime in about how theirs is so great). As well, why would solid engineers like HKS, J's, etc. ALWAYS have them on their cars (even if it's not one they make-- as in the case of HKS [at least I don't think they make one])? I know part of their gig is to sell stuff, so maybe that's it.

Rest assured I am soooo happy with my coilovers and the Progress rear sway-- I just want to make sure I got all the bases covered. Even with just a few days driving on the Skunk2s, you start to get used to a stiffer ride, and your tolerance threshold really increases. I find myself suddenly wanting to crank up the valving and stiffen it more -- which is the opposite of what I thought I wanted when looking for better suspension options initially. You get addicted FAST to that handling precision that comes with tight suspension. I feel like a junkie needing another fix right now.

My migration back towards considering a front strut is in part due to a mild feeling of the rear being "tighter" at the moment-- but that of course could be (and most likely IS) due to other factors such as camber/toe specs on the front, or the need to possibly run a slightly different valve adjustment between the fronts and the rears (?). Now, this is minor tweak stuff and of course my general driving is not really affected by any of this, but I am just really getting into this and am the kind of person that starts feeling out the subtlety and nuance and wants to tweak it to try and get it just right.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Banned
Oh nuts! Here I was, all ready for the flamers.

I'm happy to see where your OP came from, and kind of thought that you were exploring some more. As far as why some of the big name racing companies use either their own bars or other brands, it may be due to the real effectiveness on other types of racing cars with less rigid frame/body design and much heavier engines and weaker suspension components. Maybe some bar designs DO work on Mustangs or other performance cars. Rather than repeat my words on other posts, I think that the Fit is too rigid at the firewall to get any benefit from even the heaviest and most rigid strut bar. If you (anyone) can disprove my theory (facts only please), feel free to do so.

Anyway, far be it from me to prevent you from searching for "perfection", even though it doesn't exist. Also, the bar that I trashed in one thread is still on my Fit. I have removed it and replaced it several times, and I know that at least that brand is mere decoration. I will be watching for future reviews from you though, because I think that you know what you write about.

Last edited by manxman; 03-03-2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
well, i can tell you from experience on my car that the cusco front
tower bar DOES help to prevent chassis flex. im running DF210's so
that could be one of the reasons why i can tell a difference and
one can not on a relatively stock car.

some cars like my cooper-s does not need a stb.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kenchan
well, i can tell you from experience on my car that the cusco front
tower bar DOES help to prevent chassis flex. im running DF210's so
that could be one of the reasons why i can tell a difference and
one can not on a relatively stock car.

some cars like my cooper-s does not need a stb.
Again, and still, your opinion does not disprove my assertion that the Fit does not need or benefit from a strut bar either. Not trashing you- but would like to see facts proved with instrumentation. To Jimmy- not a GPS with "free G-Force Meter Added".

Old 03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
I feel a difference with mine.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Retired Moderator
Hmmmm I need to borrow some of the University's tools in my lab and measure the deflection, stress & strain of the strut bar under a turning load...I don't think they will let me test it though

Old 03-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Illusive
Hmmmm I need to borrow some of the University's tools in my lab and measure the deflection, stress & strain of the strut bar under a turning load...I don't think they will let me test it though
Your idea, if it can be acted upon, would be worth a whole lot more to the OP, me, and all other fitfreaks than "I feel a difference with my bar!". No offense, Dan.

A more conclusive measurement would be to attach a length of wire with known tensile strength to the tops of the strut studs without a strut bar attached. Measure the total length of the wire from stud to stud. Then drive the car as fast as possible in various handling maneuvers, then measure the wire. If the wire has stretched or broken, that proves that the struts move. That simple measurement would only prove that any bar might restrain movement, not that the restraint is accomplished with one bar design over another.

My belief is that the struts don't move, and none of the available bars could work even if movement can be proven. The only bar design that could work is one that attaches to the strut studs, not the towers, and can be preloaded with tension (pulling force) on the studs.

Last edited by manxman; 03-03-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
i agree with manxman.

there was a really good thread that i think is a sticky in this section that was borrowed from our friends over at 8thcivic...it explained the nitty gritty of anything suspension oriented.

basically, it did say that a strut bar does have benefits but only if you are doing some serious heavy duty racing or track work. it even had a commentary on how many who install front strut bars actually drive their cars harder without realizing it...and because of their newfound confidence because they have a strut bar, they find the limit of their car and conclude that it was the strut bar that made 'all the difference.'.

will i be getting one? yeah, but not only is it in one of the absolute last places on my list of mods, i would be lying if i said it DIDN"T have something to do with the cosmetic effect of it.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned
Thank you Daine- I knew we could agree on something.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Again, and still, your opinion does not disprove my assertion that the Fit does not need or benefit from a strut bar either. Not trashing you- but would like to see facts proved with instrumentation. To Jimmy- not a GPS with "free G-Force Meter Added".
in my application it does need one and benefits so that's good
enough for me.

more importantly, have you actually tried a reputable front stb
on your Fit? do you have proof to disprove that a front stb
will NOT provide benefit? im not sure why you're so sensitive
AGAINST the front stb on this car?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
btw, manxman- im not here to make any enemies. im just
curious as to why you specifically state you dont want a stb
on the Fit when i and a lot of folks have benefited in the
steering feel and initial turn-in response.

ill post again that some cars like my cooper-s with its super
rigid chassis from the factory will not benefit especially for
street app..but the Fit is nowhere near my cooper-s's rigidity.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by manxman
Your idea, if it can be acted upon, would be worth a whole lot more to the OP, me, and all other fitfreaks than "I feel a difference with my bar!". No offense, Dan.

A more conclusive measurement would be to attach a length of wire with known tensile strength to the tops of the strut studs without a strut bar attached. Measure the total length of the wire from stud to stud. Then drive the car as fast as possible in various handling maneuvers, then measure the wire. If the wire has stretched or broken, that proves that the struts move. That simple measurement would only prove that any bar might restrain movement, not that the restraint is accomplished with one bar design over another.

My belief is that the struts don't move, and none of the available bars could work even if movement can be proven. The only bar design that could work is one that attaches to the strut studs, not the towers, and can be preloaded with tension (pulling force) on the studs.
The wire length idea wouldn't work if I am interpreting your idea correctly. When you turn, the body is supposed to bend up and inwards, so the wire won't stretch or break unless it is a metal rod. It'll compress the wire so it will experience no tensile forces at all. I don't think the university will let me borrow their equipment, they are evil like that haha. I think that would be the only definitive answer to this question as those devices can measure minute deflections and stresses on a piece of metal.

You know what, we just need to post up on the Mythbusters forum about car modifications and I'm sure they will make a whole show on it hahahaha...

Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 PM
I have seen them on those top race companies FITs, but there again Dave makes a good point that there's a cosmetic variable in play there, and the one about the psychological side/increased driver confidence is certainly worthy of consideration in the equation.

HKS, Spoon, J's, etc. -- well generally they are doing the more serious track work with these cars where the extremes come into play and they perhaps are utilizing some benefits (albeit minimal, maybe) of strut bars. They are show cars too so to say I need one just because those function-specific cars (FITs) have them might be a bit silly.

Not to stray off topic but-- any other suggestions for a "next mod" that is under say $500.00? Obviously I am looking for things to add to the car, and the front strut came (back) to mind. I am more performance-oriented over cosmetic at this stage. I considered things like ignition boosters and voltage regulators but my gosh did I find some harsh (negative) opinions about those things!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Retired Moderator
I have seen them on those top race companies FITs, but there again Dave makes a good point that there's a cosmetic variable in play there, and the one about the psychological side/increased driver confidence is certainly worthy of consideration in the equation.

HKS, Spoon, J's, etc. -- well generally they are doing the more serious track work with these cars where the extremes come into play and they perhaps are utilizing some benefits (albeit minimal, maybe) of strut bars. They are show cars too so to say I need one just because those function-specific cars (FITs) have them might be a bit silly.

Not to stray off topic but-- any other suggestions for a "next mod" that is under say $500.00? Obviously I am looking for things to add to the car, and the front strut came (back) to mind. I am more performance-oriented over cosmetic at this stage. I considered things like ignition boosters and voltage regulators but my gosh did I find some harsh (negative) opinions about those things!
What do you already have so we don't get redundant?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Skunk2 Pro-C coilovers, Progress rear sway, T1R V.I.P. axelback exhaust, T1R carbon intake.

I have been looking at brake-oriented mods too but don't know where to begin.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Retired Moderator
Skunk2 Pro-C coilovers, Progress rear sway, T1R V.I.P. axelback exhaust, T1R carbon intake.

I have been looking at brake-oriented mods too but don't know where to begin.
Get the Spoon or T1R B-Pipe!

Quick Reply: Best front strut bar?