Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

just iinstalled eibach pro springs and hear clunk noise from rear...please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Injundon
Rust my good friend..rust.... I've broken the heads off countless seat bolts over the years with my trusty 3/8" wratchet. Some people have had their fits through 2 winters now and where I live in Montreal, that means Rusted bolts galore, along with rusted sway bars, rusty control arms..etc..

Sounds like in this situation though, the clunk goes away after a bit. sometimes spraying a little white grease on the rubber bushings helps.
i live in IL, i know rust...already experienced broken bolt heads (3months use) on aftermarket
screw set for my FitS. took $180 to remove cause i needed to get a low profile drill and
extractors.

anyway, sounds like eibach's springs are slightly out of spec in dimension. i too agree
try some white lithium grease and see if that helps. shouldn't need it usually though.

Last edited by kenchan; 04-02-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
When I installed my Progress rear springs I actually had to sit there and think about which way the springs would install. I know that most rear springs are similar as they have one side that is uncompressed while the other is. To me the right way to install the springs was to have the compressed springs on the top. The reason for this was because I have a Progress RSB. If I were to install the compressed side down I would probably hear some clunking. I figured since the springs are compressed that there was going to be no gap between the bolt and the spring itself. With the uncompressed side there should be a bigger gap from the bolt and the spring resulting in no clunking. I have no clunking noise atm. Also before I tightened the bolt to the shock I made sure to twist the whole spring clockwise to ensure that the butt of the spring was all the way in the groove. BTW the sticker was on the uncompressed side which means I had to install it sticker side down.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Retired Moderator
Mine is quite strange. For a few months, I could hear clunks from my rear springs when I drove off my driveway. However, after I jacked up the front to swap front strut bars, I haven't heard the clunking as often as I did in the past. Not sure if it has to do with weather or maybe when I jacked up the car it reset the springs. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 AM
jack the car up alittle on the side u hear the clunking noise and twist the spring alittle! it was doing it bad when i installed my sway bar so i knew i put back wrong so i just twisted it alittle and it fixed it! my it was just luck but it cant hurt to try. good luck!!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
Mine is quite strange. For a few months, I could hear clunks from my rear springs when I drove off my driveway. However, after I jacked up the front to swap front strut bars, I haven't heard the clunking as often as I did in the past. Not sure if it has to do with weather or maybe when I jacked up the car it reset the springs. Anyone have any ideas?

that is quite strange. maybe you can jack it up and down
a couple more times and the noise will go away.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by kenchan
that is quite strange. maybe you can jack it up and down
a couple more times and the noise will go away.
Thats what I thought too lol! When I swapped my stock wheels back on in the fall, you can hear the springs unload and make those sounds. After I put it back down, the noises from the rear suspension started to happen more frequently every time I came off of the driveway. So weird...

Old 04-02-2008, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Is this only with Eibach Pro-Kit springs, or do other folks have these issues as well? I just picked up the Pro-Kit on eBay last night ($140 shipped...woohoo!) and I'm looking to install it a few weekends from now. I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
Thats what I thought too lol! When I swapped my stock wheels back on in the fall, you can hear the springs unload and make those sounds. After I put it back down, the noises from the rear suspension started to happen more frequently every time I came off of the driveway. So weird...
wat you can try is, while the car is still off the ground load up the vehicle
weight onto the rear suspension and see if you can pass a piece of paper
between the spring and the spring carrier wall. if you can't then obviously
you spring is rubbing the spring carrier.

lower the torsion beam and turn the spring a quarter ccw and try it again.
and again if necessary...there should be a point where there is no
rubbage, unless they completely screwed up their design.