Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Help Please!

I recently had the Eibach Pro Kit installed on my Fit.

its too low.
short of buying an entire new set of springs and having to pay another 700 for installation, what can i do to raise my ride? is there any type of spacer i can purchase/make that will resist wear?

thanks.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
raising the rear is pretty easy. just sandwich some donut shaped
spacers between the chassis and top spring mount.

i suppose the front isn't too hard on this car either since there
are no strut tower bolts on the top mounts to worry about. the
thread on the piston is long enough that you can probably sandwich
some spacers under the tower. just make sure the opening of
the inner hole is identical to the tower opening and the materal
you use is solid.

if it's like 1/4" you want to raise, might even want to try some
dynamat and stack it up.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
is this safe? I checked out dynamat extreme. I know its for extreme heat/ vibration, but what about the weight of the car crushing down on it?
Thanks

Old 04-26-2008, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ASquared150
I recently had the Eibach Pro Kit installed on my Fit.

its too low.
short of buying an entire new set of springs and having to pay another 700 for installation, what can i do to raise my ride? is there any type of spacer i can purchase/make that will resist wear?

thanks.
How high did you wanna raise it? I thought the pro-kit was a mild drop at 1.6" in the front and something like 1.3" in the rear...

Old 04-27-2008, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
yea, its not mild enough with my new wheels. I need to go at least half an inch higher

Old 04-27-2008, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
short of buying an entire new set of springs and having to pay another 700 for installation.

if you paid that much, im sorry to say buddy you got RIPPED off.

i wouldn't even pay more then 150. and thats the max someone should charge to install them.

but uh yeah good luck on using the spacers. i would recommend using the dynamat because that way it will still sit right in the holders.

man the pro kit isnt even that bad at all.

even with my tein s.techs on 15s i barely ever scraped

Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
yea, its not mild enough with my new wheels. I need to go at least half an inch higher
If you don't mind doing some legwork, take some measurements of your springs. Find out the inner/outer diameter of your springs and look for an enegry suspension spring spacer with similar dimensions of the required thickness.

Here's something to help you get the ball rolling...

Amazon.com: Coil Spring Spacer - Energy Susp 36110G Coil Spring Spacer: Automotive

Your other options are to invest in a coilover sleeve kit (ground control) or even more on a full coilover kit which gives you the benefit of adjustability in ride hight, or switch back to stock springs.

GL on whatever you decide...

Old 04-27-2008, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
if you paid that much, im sorry to say buddy you got RIPPED off.

i wouldn't even pay more then 150. and thats the max someone should charge to install them.

but uh yeah good luck on using the spacers. i would recommend using the dynamat because that way it will still sit right in the holders.

man the pro kit isnt even that bad at all.

even with my tein s.techs on 15s i barely ever scraped

yea 700 fu*king hundred WOW..... super RIPPED... my friend did his for 100.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:27 AM
swapping just springs in a fit is an hour and a half job with the jack that comes wit the car and some wrenches.

You got majorly hosed.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:58 AM
yeah buddy sorry to say you got ripped...where did you go so we know not go there...lol why didnt you do it yourself? are you sure they didnt put them on upside down? backwards? maybe that might be why you are riding low still

Old 04-27-2008, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member

yah, 1/2" is too much for my dynamat idea. the reason why i said
dynamat is that it is a very solid material, easily shapeable (if that's a
word), yet thin enough that you can play with the height to your
exact preference using small increments.

those spacers in the above link would probably work well for the
rear, given that you can find the right side. not sure about the
front though.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Injundon
swapping just springs in a fit is an hour and a half job with the jack that comes wit the car and some wrenches.

You got majorly hosed.

you used the factory jack only and got the job done?

how? the front i suppose you could if you unlinked the swaybar first,
but the rear... did you jump on your suspension or something while
doing one side at a time?

your car has preload now, i bet.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dagul
If you don't mind doing some legwork, take some measurements of your springs. Find out the inner/outer diameter of your springs and look for an enegry suspension spring spacer with similar dimensions of the required thickness.

Here's something to help you get the ball rolling...

Amazon.com: Coil Spring Spacer - Energy Susp 36110G Coil Spring Spacer: Automotive

Your other options are to invest in a coilover sleeve kit (ground control) or even more on a full coilover kit which gives you the benefit of adjustability in ride hight, or switch back to stock springs.

GL on whatever you decide...
ASquared150 you are correct and you did not do anything wrong!
I have them and they definitely drop a LOT more than advertised!

I am in the same predicament! Dagul is giving you the best solution. I am looking into pouting some spacers. Instead of just ordering something without seeing it, I plan on finding a local 4X4 place and inquire with them.
Use your OEM springs to measure inner and outer coil diameter (Eibach Pro's and all other aftermarket springs should have the same specs roughly), and then bring a tape measure to the shop. Measure any spacer they give you to be sure. If they are too expensive make sure you note the brand and model number and shop on the web!

Ivan

Old 04-27-2008, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
ciburri- i thought by now you would be running coilovers.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
ciburri- i thought by now you would be running coilovers.
No way!
I have been in between jobs for a while. I do not go for it unless it is perfect since I do not change them often. Every 5-6 years and only when I reach the very top and no chance of further advancement. That might have to change very soon.
My wife and I are expecting out first child in July as well. That is where all my money is going! What ever is left of it anyway! Not that I am complaining, I am not! I can't wait! I also just became a Godfather to one of our best friend's twins, too! They were born 13 days ago. They are adorable!

To tell you the truth, I am not happy with excessive drop (IMO!) or extra stiffness. Ironically Eibach Pro's are the softest aftermarket springs you can get according to our spring research and chart I made. Maybe it is the fact that front's are linear and not progressive coils.
I also find it very hard to justify turning my DD Fit into a "race" car with my CRX wearing that title due to all the mods. BTW, I did not bother to go coilovers route on my CRX either. Koni yellows were much cheaper and with Kg/mm springs they soak bumpy canyon roads and rough braking zones much better for my taste. Not that it needs much braking going in the turns. LOL!

I did get a red stroller and red car seat for my baby girls though! I need to paint the red stripe on the black wheels of the stroller to match my OEM Fit wheels. ROFL! White OZ's currently on my Fit will have to go back on the CRX when I start working and start hitting Infineon, Laguna Seca and AutoX. OEM's and stock tires are softer ride for my baby too.

Sorry to take the thread in the wrong direction guys!

Ivan

Old 04-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
you used the factory jack only and got the job done?

how? the front i suppose you could if you unlinked the swaybar first,
but the rear... did you jump on your suspension or something while
doing one side at a time?

your car has preload now, i bet.
I have Tein basic coilovers. and I used a hydraulic jack

If you jack the rear using the center jack point (triangle in the trunk floor) it's a not-issue.

with the fronts, jack one side at a time and get the car on jackstands.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ciburri
No way!
I have been in between jobs for a while. I do not go for it unless it is perfect since I do not change them often. Every 5-6 years and only when I reach the very top and no chance of further advancement. That might have to change very soon.
My wife and I are expecting out first child in July as well. That is where all my money is going! What ever is left of it anyway! Not that I am complaining, I am not! I can't wait! I also just became a Godfather to one of our best friend's twins, too! They were born 13 days ago. They are adorable!

To tell you the truth, I am not happy with excessive drop (IMO!) or extra stiffness. Ironically Eibach Pro's are the softest aftermarket springs you can get according to our spring research and chart I made. Maybe it is the fact that front's are linear and not progressive coils.
I also find it very hard to justify turning my DD Fit into a "race" car with my CRX wearing that title due to all the mods. BTW, I did not bother to go coilovers route on my CRX either. Koni yellows were much cheaper and with Kg/mm springs they soak bumpy canyon roads and rough braking zones much better for my taste. Not that it needs much braking going in the turns. LOL!

I did get a red stroller and red car seat for my baby girls though! I need to paint the red stripe on the black wheels of the stroller to match my OEM Fit wheels. ROFL! White OZ's currently on my Fit will have to go back on the CRX when I start working and start hitting Infineon, Laguna Seca and AutoX. OEM's and stock tires are softer ride for my baby too.

Sorry to take the thread in the wrong direction guys!

Ivan
hey, congrats to you and your wifey on the first one!!! we
had our 2nd one like 7-8 months ago and life's been great (very noisy,
but great. )

and yah, i too am not a fan of real low riding cars and stiff suspension
for street. i've been noted that im a bit too spammish for the c/o's i
have so wont post the name here , but it's a very comfy setup for
daily driving. no harshness at all and even with the current ride heigh
(about -1.9" front, -1.2" rear) it still feels very smooth and plenty of
sus stroke left. both front and rear are linear rate giving very accurate
feedback throughout the stroke. i have absolutely no worries even if
my little one came along for the ride. it's that smooth on 195/50/15's.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Injundon
I have Tein basic coilovers. and I used a hydraulic jack

If you jack the rear using the center jack point (triangle in the trunk floor) it's a not-issue.

with the fronts, jack one side at a time and get the car on jackstands.

cheater~~! you said factory jack in your first post.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member

I am in the same predicament! Dagul is giving you the best solution. I am looking into pouting some spacers. Instead of just ordering something without seeing it, I plan on finding a local 4X4 place and inquire with them.
Use your OEM springs to measure inner and outer coil diameter (Eibach Pro's and all other aftermarket springs should have the same specs roughly), and then bring a tape measure to the shop. Measure any spacer they give you to be sure. If they are too expensive make sure you note the brand and model number and shop on the web!

Ivan

Thanks for the credit...

Due to situations like these, I'm still somewhat on the fence between a spring combo and a full coilover. As much as I like the adjustability of a coilover kit, I can't justify the cost for the kind of daily driving I do now.

However, if koni did modify an existing application to fit the GD3, I might be swayed on a koni/gc setup as that's what I used to run on my previous daily drivers EJ7/8 which was really nice on mountain roads back in SoCal.

OP,

If your hunt for spring spacers doesn't fair out for you, another member here recently reported swift springs lower 1.25" front and 1.1" rear which is about half an inch less all around than the drop on the pro-kit. That could be another option to consider.

here

Old 04-27-2008, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member

Ivan
Thanks Ivan, I've let me know how that goes, I don't know of any 4X4 places near by here in Chicago so I'm pretty much dependent on you for that info. This is my best option cause it's cheapest.

Originally Posted by dagul
OP,

If your hunt for spring spacers doesn't fair out for you, another member here recently reported swift springs lower 1.25" front and 1.1" rear which is about half an inch less all around than the drop on the pro-kit. That could be another option to consider.

here
Thanks for more advice dagul, I looked into swift and they seem like a good decision for ride quality and practicality, but are probably too expensive as I am now broke.

by the way everyone who said I got ripped by the installer - yes I did, I am fixing the problem hopefully because they charged me more than 4 times what they estimated and installed new parts without my consent. And these guys are recomended installers from tire rack. Assholes.

Quick Reply: Help Please!