Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

The Honda Jazz / Fit Suspension Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 04:08 AM
The Honda Jazz / Fit Suspension Thread

This article is Work In Progress

Introduction

This article will cover basic information about the Honda Jazz/Fit suspension system. I will look at various options out there for the car, as well as ways to upgrade and make better use of the suspension system. I will include links to manufactors and try to compile a list of applications with prices.

The Honda Jazz/Fit suspension system is a fairly simple one. Both the GD1 and thd GD3 suspensions use the same components, but the GD3 (The VTi and VTi-S) have slightly stiffer springrates.

The Jazz/Fit suspension system consist of Shock Absorbers, Springs, Bushings, Control Arms and Suspension Linkage.

Why Would I Want To Modify The Suspension?

The most common reason is lowering. Lowering the ride-height changes the way the car handles on the road, and gives a more direct feel to the steering and handling, simply because the distance the spring travels is shortened. Some drivers think it gives a "cooler" look to the car, putting it closer to the ground.

Handling is the primary reason for wanting to change the stock suspension system. The Honda Jazz/Fit is a city car, and meant to be a normal daily driver for the entire family. Its stock suspension, even on the VTi models, is pretty soft. This elevates the comfort of the ride, but sacrifices the handling. Like most stock suspension systems, it’s a compromise between comfort and handling.

Lowering Your Jazz

If all you want to do is to give your Jazz/Fit a lowering, you don't need to change anything but the spring itself. There are two types of springs to choose from. The normal spiral spring which is the same type that is used on the stock suspension, or Progressive Springs. Although the Jazz/Fit may be lowered up to 7 centimetres (cm), it is not recommended to lower more then 2.5 cm to 4 cm. If you lower the ride more then 4 cm, you will need to alter the angle of the camber to compensate for the change in ride height.

The most common choice is just the plain spiral springs. The reason is simply because they cost less, and offer easy lowering. The best choice is the use of a Progressive Spring, which in addition to lowering also improves the stiffness and handling of the car. A Progressive Spring will become harder and harder the more it is compressed. This way, it will feel soft on the daily driving road, but give a stiffer handling for the sportier driving. The Progressive Springs cost a bit more, but in my opinion it's worth the money!

Coilovers

The ultimate suspension upgrade for any street or track car is a Coilover system. A Coilover system offers a complete Damper/Spring package, and the system has been adjusted so that the Damper and Spring fulfil each others - thus giving the perfect ride height and stiffness. If you take your car to the track from time to time, or just like to have the best performing suspension regardless of street driving or track driving - this is the way to go.

Most Coilover Systems offers height adjusting - but the more exclusive ones offer adjustable stiffness as well. Coilovers offer awesome drivability and handling for your Jazz/Fit - but it is also the most expensive way to upgrade your suspension.

Manufactors of Suspension Upgrades for Honda Jazz/Fit

This is a list of producers and their systems for the Jazz. I will try to include as much information as possible, and add information as it presents itself.

Tein

Tein has been making suspension parts for Honda for ages, and have a well-earned repubtation. Read more about Tein Here!

S.Tech Springs

Tein S.Tech Spring is an excellent step towards suspension tuning. They offer approximately a 1.5 inch drop for a more aggressive appearance. Comes with a 1 year limited warranty. Spring length is guaranteed not to sag more than 5mm and to be clear of any manufacture defects (see limited warranty for more details).

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

GD1 and GD3: Part number SKA04-S1B00 - Springrate Front/Rear: ~ 2.2k / ~ 2.5k - Lowering Front / Rear: -40mm / -35mm - Retail Price: 250 USD

HIGH Tech Springs

High Tech is made from a new material called "Vanadium" which is much lighter then other spring and increases flexibility. All spring are designed specifically to fit each car for maximum performance. About a 3 cm drop for a more attractive appearance.

Offers slighly stiffer springrate and a moderate lowering compared to the S.Tech. These are high quality springs!

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

GD1 and GD3: Part number SKA04-G1B00 - Springrate Front/Rear: ~ 2.3k / ~ 3.4k - Lowering Front / Rear: -30mm / -15mm - Retail Price: 300 USD

Type Wagon Damper

Type WAGON is the coilover kit for recreational veicle and it provides comfort & fine driving stability even if you use upsizing wheels.Adopted single spring, it prevents a noise due to contact each spring wire. These coilovers are hight-adjustable, and include everything you need to get it up and running.

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

GD1 and GD3
: Part number DSA04-U1AS2 - Springrate Front/Rear: ~ 4.0k / ~ 6.0k - Lowering Front / Rear: -50mm / -40mm - Retail Price: 800 USD

Type Super Wagon

This is the Type Wagon systems big brother. The quality has been raised to handle more beating from the streets or the tracks using harder and stronger alloys.

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

GD1 and GD3: Part number DSA04-91AS2 - Springrate Front/Rear: ~ 3.0k / ~ 6.5k - Lowering Front / Rear: -45mm / -35mm - Retail Price: 970 USD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoon Sports

Spoon Sports is one of the world's leading Honda tuners and race teams. With direct support from Honda Japan, Spoon participates in endurance races all over the world. Spoon then passes this experience to Honda enthusiasts through its lineup of high quality performance parts.

Spoon Sports offer some of the best suspension systems there are today for the Honda Jazz - and for the serious tuner this is the definitive way to go!

SS: Fixed Dampeners & Progressive Springs

Offering a 4 to 5 CM drop in rideheight - this system is a killer for its price. This damper and spring combination offers a great upgrade to your suspension at a decent price.

GD1 and GD3: Part number 51600-GDA-000 (dampers) and 51400-GDA-001 (springs) - Springrate Front/Rear: ~4.4k / ~ 5.0k - Lowering Front / Rear: -50mm / -50mm - Retail Price: 550 USD (dampers) / 280 USD (springs)

SS: Complete Custom Coiloverkit (A K A The SHIT)

This is the bomb. There really isn't any other way of putting it. This system offers fully adjustable rideheight along with a wide viarity of springrates to go with the system. It also allows you to adjust the stiffness of the damper itself. The system is designed so that you may get the core coilover system, and swap out the springs depending on your use. A soft set for the street, and a hard set for the tracks. And it's easy!

Springrates go from 8k all the way up to 24k in 2k steps.

Coilover Partnumber:
[b]51600-GD3-G20
Straight Springs Partnumbers:

8K: 51400-65-08K
10K: 51400-65-10K
12K: 51400-65-12K (.. and so on)

Swift Springs

Swift Lowering Springs: Progressive Springs. Comes with 3 years unlimited mileage warranty on the springs for defect or sagging if install by qualify technican.

GD1 and GD3: Part number 4H017 - Springrate Front/Rear: ~ 3k / ~ 5.6k - Lowering Front / Rear: -1.18" / -0.98" - Retail Price: To be set

History of Swift Springs:
http://216.105.56.102/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=91

The Spoon Sports Honda Fit that race in this country use the Swift Springs for their coil-overs and if it is good enough for Spoon Sports, certaintly it is good enough for the rest of us.

prices will be set at a later date. Available from ICBMotorSport.com

http://yhst-1408381693991.stores.yah...pfitgd3lo.html

Last edited by dacalac; 08-18-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Updated With Spoon Sports stuff... If there is anything missing, let me know!

Old 08-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Very nice written article, however how about the other "lowered" price springs such as Eibach, H&R, etc...

Old 08-08-2005, 10:53 AM
I will get to it DejaVu, all in due time

Old 08-15-2005, 04:34 AM
I'll patiently wait for your review ....

ps: as previous owner of DC2 and EG, what did you change to FIT? I love those two, I have a FIT right now, but thinking of buying another EG, since no DC2 here

update: nevermind, I found the answer to my question

Last edited by DeJaVu; 08-15-2005 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Nice thread! What do you prefer if I'm goin' to buy a coilover suspension, Tein Type Wagon or Super Wagon? Or any brand that is cheaper to Tein but made in Japan coilover suspensions? Will it fit to my GD1 Jazz?

Old 08-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Other than Tein being mentioned as coilovers, I'm sure there are other options like D2, JIC, Eibach, H&R and Koni that haven't been covered yet or still awaiting to be produced. The option to have other coilover brands for the Jazz/FIT are endless.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Unfortunately Eibach and H&R only have lowering springs for the Jazz.

Koni doesn't have an application for the Jazz yet. A friend of mine Jjmichaels(also a member here) had his koni dampers modified to fit the Jazz.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by ken1279
Unfortunately Eibach and H&R only have lowering springs for the Jazz.
They may only have lowering springs for the Jazz/FIT right now but they do make adjustable threaded coilover systems for other cars. Hopefully they get on the ball soon and make one for the Jazz/FIT.

Old 08-16-2005, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Yes they do make those for other cars and I hope release one for the jazz soon.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Someone that Posts too much
I see all the manufacturers making all sorts of strut braces but noone making aftermarket sway bars?

I've always found sway bars to provide the most economical handling improvement particularly when not wanting to sacrifice ride height or comfort. In fact sways actually improve comfort with less movement inside the vehicle with the vehicle flatter in corners.

Old 08-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Spoon's custom coilovers...s h i i i t...how much does it cost?

Old 11-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Tanabe product...

I believe tanabe also have been releasing a lot of cool stuff for FITs. Used the coilover and it improve the performance, handling and even now my GF ride is much2 more smother.

I believe the quality of its suspension, exhaust, strutsbar etc sometime even better then SPOON.

HKS also buil many cool product for FITs. I heard that they produce the best TURBO kits ever for Honda FITs.. Too bad the price are also $$$

Old 11-23-2005, 10:22 PM
TAnabe Nf

Originally Posted by KingRichard
I believe tanabe also have been releasing a lot of cool stuff for FITs. Used the coilover and it improve the performance, handling and even now my GF ride is much2 more smother.
I have tried several lowering springs and highly recommend whiteline or tanabe. Bang for the buck the best springs for our hamsters. You dont really need to buy coilovers not unless you race and a good lowering springs should work out fine. Now with TAnabe NF its got a nice drop 1.5" and the ride is soo smooth I love it.

Last edited by alanranch; 11-23-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by alanranch
I have tried several lowering springs and highly recommend whiteline or tanabe. Bang for the buck the best springs for our hamsters. You dont really need to buy coilovers not unless you race and a good lowering springs should work out fine. Now with TAnabe NF its got a nice drop 1.5" and the ride is soo smooth I love it.
Trust me bro.. the NF coil over is one of my bang 4 a buck investment. I try changing the spring only, but the coil over make our hamsters a 100x better. Also u can drop the car all u like. In my case I can drop it till it touch 1mm inside the rims

Old 11-25-2005, 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by KingRichard
Trust me bro.. the NF coil over is one of my bang 4 a buck investment. I try changing the spring only, but the coil over make our hamsters a 100x better. Also u can drop the car all u like. In my case I can drop it till it touch 1mm inside the rims
You bet man, coilovers are the way to go but its not practical coz its expensive plus our road conditions here are really bad. Lowering your car would make it look good but here in out streets it will just be a big problem. For me the best compromise is 1.5inch drop over than that its going to give you a headeache but hell if I had money to burn I am for coilovers even If I dont slamn it that much just for performance alone its definitely worth it. Always been a big fan of tanabe, they just make good products. ITs a brand worth investing on. From exhausts to suspension kits theyre just awesome.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by alanranch
You bet man, coilovers are the way to go but its not practical coz its expensive plus our road conditions here are really bad. Lowering your car would make it look good but here in out streets it will just be a big problem. For me the best compromise is 1.5inch drop over than that its going to give you a headeache but hell if I had money to burn I am for coilovers even If I dont slamn it that much just for performance alone its definitely worth it. Always been a big fan of tanabe, they just make good products. ITs a brand worth investing on. From exhausts to suspension kits theyre just awesome.
Trust me bro.. nothing beats Indonesian street
However with less drop on my 17" wheels it drove just like a standard hamster + it give u the best ride overall. The new shock give you a better and less bouncy ride. Oh I know its more expensive, but hey you are getting a new set of shock + springs.

P.S. When a friends recommend this setup, I say the same thing. But after getting it, I'll say its one of my best investment ever!!

Old 12-09-2005, 02:20 AM
Hi... This is my first posting... This is a great site... I am a Jazz/Fit owner in the land of potholes and speed bumps road (Malaysia) hehehe...

Currently I have change my set of tires to 16 inch... The trouble I have is that if there are people sitting behind my car, going through those killer bumps really hit my back tires wall.

Currently I am looking at a set which can maintain the car height and not lowering it... which one will be a better combination?

Thanks again in advance...

Savien
Blue JAZZ

Old 12-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Just changed to the TEIN Super Wagon coilovers. Now driving is much more fun when cornering. Previously was using the TEIN S.TECH springs. Should have just changed to the coilovers immediately.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Hiya.... sorry for the late reply... hmm... using TEIN Super Wagon Coilovers eh... hmmm... ok thanks for the recommendation... will try to source out the pricing first before i decide....

Thanks again...

Savien
Blue JAZZ

Quick Reply: The Honda Jazz / Fit Suspension Thread