Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Setting up Skunk2 Pro-C coilovers question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:31 AM
Setting up Skunk2 Pro-C coilovers question

Just a quick question which has also been bothering me.

I have got my suspension fitted which is a good thing and it has also been lowered (a bit too much now, so i'll be getting it raised by 15mm or so, when i next see my local garage).

Apart from that, when driving, i can hear sort of a jiggling/grinding noise which seems to be coming from the passenger side rear springs.

Now heres my question:

On stock springs in the rear, they sit on these rubber spring cushions, are my new springs meant to use those cushions to help support them.. as mine currently don't use them, which is why i assume without them, thats whats causing my springs to grind. Or is it another problem you can think of... suggestions and opinions welcome.

I have read in the other topic regarding Skunk2 coilovers, and already know that you have to reuse the bearings and damper cushion.. but thats for the front.

Edit: I have my rear springs set up same as jsensk in the other thread.. and if the original cushion is meant to be used... it it meant to be fitted at the top.. or on the bottom?

Last edited by revzero; 12-01-2008 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
tagged for interest.

i have the same sound coming from the same side. i thought adding some compression on the rear springs would fix the sound but that didn't work. IIRC, tein sold a polyurethane "bushing/cushion" that would get rid of this sound but i haven't been able to find it

::EDIT::
i forgot to add, i used the rubber cushions from the stock springs. the way my rear is set up is with the spring on top and the skunk2 perch on bottom. i have the top cushion at the top of the spring and the bottom cushion beneath the skunk2 perch. the tein bushing/cushion i was talking about is supposed to go between the spring and skunk2 perch. i'm positive the rattling/grinding is coming from this location because it's the only part of the rear suspension that makes any hard contact with each other - even with the paper thin polyurethane washer/bushing that skunk2 provides.

PS: i'm probably using the wrong terminology for the skunk2 spring perch, i can't seem to remember the correct term LoL

Last edited by GD3_Wagoon; 12-01-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:29 PM
i reused the cushions at both ends, i dont know if thats the correct way. i had a pop in the rear right spring when it compressed enough, i rotated the spring and it went away.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
TTT

i drove home from work with the radio off yesterday, the sound i'm getting kinda sounds like the spring or perch (or both?) is wobbling after i hit a bump. i had another member say that i should check if the spring is sitting in the rubber cushion correctly - i'm going to check that out on friday and report back.

revzero:
i thought about the noise you're getting and i remember having something similar to that when i had first installed my pro-c's. it may sound silly but check to make sure that the collars on the shocks have been "locked." the first time i just hand tightened the collars and they eventually wiggled loose. just get the spanner wrench on there, hand tighten, then give it a few taps with a rubber mallet to make sure it locks. hope that helps

Last edited by GD3_Wagoon; 12-02-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by randay
i reused the cushions at both ends, i dont know if thats the correct way. i had a pop in the rear right spring when it compressed enough, i rotated the spring and it went away.
question for you
how did you go by torquing down the top nut holding the rear shocks in place? when i try tightening it the entire thing turns - threading and polyurethane bushings all turn with the nut. i've tried holding it in place with an 8mm open wrench between the valve adjustment knob and the threading but i don't think it was enough to keep the nut from eventually loosening up again

Last edited by GD3_Wagoon; 12-02-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by chaaree
question for you
how did you go by torquing down the top nut holding the rear shocks in place? when i try tightening it the entire thing turns - threading and polyurethane bushings all turn with the nut. i've tried holding it in place with an 8mm open wrench between the valve adjustment knob and the threading but i don't think it was enough to keep the nut from eventually loosening up again
i think thats all i tightened it down. i remember thinking about how to tighten it further, I would use 3 nuts, the original, and then lock two together above that and use those to hold onto. i dont think i actually did this though. the instructions only call for like 20ish ft-lbs and once i rotated the springs there was no noises and everything seems fine so i left it alone.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by chaaree
TTT

i drove home from work with the radio off yesterday, the sound i'm getting kinda sounds like the spring or perch (or both?) is wobbling after i hit a bump. i had another member say that i should check if the spring is sitting in the rubber cushion correctly - i'm going to check that out on friday and report back.

revzero:
i thought about the noise you're getting and i remember having something similar to that when i had first installed my pro-c's. it may sound silly but check to make sure that the collars on the shocks have been "locked." the first time i just hand tightened the collars and they eventually wiggled loose. just get the spanner wrench on there, hand tighten, then give it a few taps with a rubber mallet to make sure it locks. hope that helps
Got my suspension properly setup by the garage today, and as you suspected Randay, the collar did wiggle lose, both at the back passenger side (driver side for you) and the front driver side (passenger side US).

I also reused the cushions, however they didn't seem to fit on the perch, so had to mod them slightly to get them to fit snuggly.

Now the wobbling noise has gone and i'm up and away.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by revzero
Got my suspension properly setup by the garage today, and as you suspected Randay, the collar did wiggle lose, both at the back passenger side (driver side for you) and the front driver side (passenger side US).

I also reused the cushions, however they didn't seem to fit on the perch, so had to mod them slightly to get them to fit snuggly.

Now the wobbling noise has gone and i'm up and away.
awesome, glad you were able to fix it!

your post just helped me out more than you might think!!
i think i know where my noise is coming from now. i gotta get the bottom cushion off the perch because i just kinda wedged it in there without modifying it -- it's probably causing uneven pressure on the spring so when i hit bumps i get that metal-on-metal "wobble" sound. woohoo! +rep for you