Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

NEED HELP! wheel stud torqued out (GD3)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
NEED HELP! wheel stud torqued out (GD3)

i torqued down one of the wheel nuts and it felt different from the other three so i removed it and out came the entire stud!

has any one replaced a stud on the Fit before? what kind of work am i looking at here? i've replaced the wheel studs on my brother's ef and it was a PIA, will the Fit be any more or less time consuming?

any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chaaree
i torqued down one of the wheel nuts and it felt different from the other three so i removed it and out came the entire stud!

has any one replaced a stud on the Fit before? what kind of work am i looking at here? i've replaced the wheel studs on my brother's ef and it was a PIA, will the Fit be any more or less time consuming?

any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Daaamn... costco did this to my parents' integra but they had it done by a shop down my street, so idk. I guess you don't know you're own strength huh?

Old 01-25-2009, 05:21 PM
should be similar to most hondas.. have fun

honda wheel torque isnt that much, by the way

Old 01-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
A search could have helped. If its a front lug stud, ENJOY.
Ive broke 3 or 4 lug studs on my car. Currently driving with one broken one and a REALLY short one on my passenger front.

I just dont care. All my lug studs need to be changed.

For the fronts a slide hammer is needed. Youll have to pull it ALL apart.
And youll need an impact gun to put it back together.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
A search could have helped. If its a front lug stud, ENJOY.
Ive broke 3 or 4 lug studs on my car. Currently driving with one broken one and a REALLY short one on my passenger front.

I just dont care. All my lug studs need to be changed.

For the fronts a slide hammer is needed. Youll have to pull it ALL apart.
And youll need an impact gun to put it back together.
thanks ray. i was in a panic when i pulled off the stud and didn't even think to search first. i found what i needed, you can close this thread if you'd like

two studs on the front driver's side are effed, one torqued off. i'm going to try and use iheartjdm's process and hope i don't have to remove the entire hub to replace these studs.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:01 PM
if you have access to a press it might make things easier

Old 01-30-2009, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
i have access to a shop that has access to a press LoL

i'm not going to eff with the un-mounting and mounting of the stud, i don't have the right tools for that job so i'm going to take it to someone who does

Old 01-30-2009, 05:13 PM
that always works lol

Old 01-31-2009, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
just finished! let me just say that with the right tools, this job is as easy as changing brake pads.

i mentioned that i would have a DIY put together, but i didn't take enough pics for a decent one. just shoot me a PM and i'll do my best to help - by phone if necessary.

first, the wheel came off (duh) i knew which lugs had the cross threaded studs so i torqued them off without breaking a sweat. but, SURPRISE, i actually effed THREE studs instead of the two i had already mentioned. [sigh] called honda to see if they had one more in stock, they did so i picked up two - bought one extra just to be safe.

back home. i un-bolted the caliper and secured that away from the working area. removed the brake pads and the brace so i can get the rotor off. USE AN IMPACT SCREWDRIVER TO REMOVE THE SCREWS HOLDING THE ROTOR IN PLACE. i knew this before hand so it was off without any problems.

i tapped out the bend holding the hub-nut in place then went to town. it took a lot of cursing to get this damn nut off. even PB blaster didn't make the job any easier. i just kept at it, carefully torquing down on the nut until it eventually broke free. it scared the shit out of me because it made a loud cracking noise when it released its bite - i thought i effed that up too

i said i would take the hub to a shop to have the studs pushed out but the shop i usually go to was closed today. they're usually open on saturday but i guess they had to cut operating hours because of the state of the economy. instead, i secured the hub and tapped out the broken studs with a ball-peen hammer and punch. a few light taps and they fell through.

when the broken studs were out i aligned the new studs into place and sucked them up with an open lug nut and a few washers. pulled them all the way through until they were flush on the back side.

reassembled everything and tripple checked to make sure everything was tight. then i VERY CAREFULLY put the wheel back on and made sure the lugs were COMPLETELY on the studs twisting them on until they were hand tight. righty-tighty. busted out the torque wrench, set it to 80lbs. and tightened all the lugs using the 1-3-2-4 method.

i taeu yu, sao simpao! would've only taken me an hour and 15 minutes if i wasn't taking my time and didn't have to drive back to honda for the extra studs.

moral of the story.. fcuk condoms

Old 01-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Our wheel bearings are sealed right? After I posted what I said the next day a friend told me he thought they were. So they dont need to be re-packed.

I need to do ALL my lug studs.
My passenger front is missing one and another one is so short (keeps breaking) that I have 2 turns left on it.
*LAUGHS!*

Bad thing is those 2 have been replaced already.
I replaced mine without removing the hub. Yes, magic.

How much were OEM studs? I was told they werent cheap.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
Our wheel bearings are sealed right? After I posted what I said the next day a friend told me he thought they were. So they dont need to be re-packed.

I need to do ALL my lug studs.
My passenger front is missing one and another one is so short (keeps breaking) that I have 2 turns left on it.
*LAUGHS!*

Bad thing is those 2 have been replaced already.
I replaced mine without removing the hub. Yes, magic.

How much were OEM studs? I was told they werent cheap.
yes, the bearings are sealed.

damn, i was afraid of running on just three studs. you're practically just running on two - GANGSTER

i bought four studs and only paid $7.13

Old 01-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Ehh, so they arent expensive. Weird. This shop next to where I work gets me deals on anything.
He called and Honda was listing them as $5-6 a piece. CRAZY!
And they claimed the rears were different.

But yea.. I live on the edge. I drove to work for a week on 2 lug studs. At least they were across from each other.
Im still basically driving on 2. That one with 2 turns on it aint doing nothing. Just holding my pretty lug.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:31 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
i took my studs off and put new ones on without taking off my hub. i just notched my spindle so in the future, if i need to change them, its not such a big deal.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:16 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
any pictures of that notch kelso?

im thinking arp extended studs are next on my list.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Yes, notch pics please.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:29 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
I couldn't figure out how to remove studs without taking the wheel hub off. Pics and DIY would mucho helpful.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:15 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
heres the pic of my notch. you need to grind down just enough for the studs to slide out. too much grinding and it may comprimise the structural integrity of the spindle.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:13 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
thanks kelso. that is a clever idea.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:51 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
All I needed was that extra inch to clear the stud. That's a great idea!

Old 02-01-2009, 03:33 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
oh also, if you do this, after grinding, spray it with some black rustoleum because that bare steel will rust faster than you can say shit!

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! wheel stud torqued out (GD3)