Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

different springs on coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
different springs on coilovers

so im thinking about getting these kbee coilovers from another user on here but the coilovers have swift springs on them. the coilovers are fully adjustable height and dampening. so will the springs affect how low the coilovers can go? so i think the swift springs will be more stiff than the stock kbee springs am i right?

Old 02-03-2009, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
my skunk2 coilovers springs are WAY smaller than the skunk2 lowering springs. idk how thatd work

Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
because coilovers are adjustable, the coils they come equipped with are much much shorter. They are shorter but stiffer as well. Unless he cut them they will not sit as low. If he DID cut them I can imagine them being way to soft and bouncy. Normally slapping different coils other than what they came equipped with is not a good idea unless he did some research if his own and decided thats what he wanted.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by junior40er
because coilovers are adjustable, the coils they come equipped with are much much shorter. They are shorter but stiffer as well. Unless he cut them they will not sit as low. If he DID cut them I can imagine them being way to soft and bouncy. Normally slapping different coils other than what they came equipped with is not a good idea unless he did some research if his own and decided thats what he wanted.
cutting coils will make the spring STIFFER!! soft and bouncy DO NOT go together
if they r bouncy it's because the spring is STIFFER than what the damper can handle (can't control or dampen the oscillations)
if the spring were too soft then the springs will be over damped and u will have a harsh ride

springs on coilovers seem to be of standard size, diameter wise (around 3") not length
i have bmax with different springs (megans)
it all depends on how much adjustability the damper sleeve has to compensate for different lengths, the length of the megan spring is different to the t1r that came with the coilovers but the bmax has so much adjustability (too much for most people) that it can handle roughly a 6" difference in spring length from shortest to longest
as for ride height the bmax adjustability range is way way beyond what the car can actually support

anybody switching springs for swifts to change the handling characteristics are intelligent enough to NOT CUT THEM since u can order them in any size/rates u want

Last edited by TheImmortal; 04-23-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by solbrothers
my skunk2 coilovers springs are WAY smaller than the skunk2 lowering springs. idk how thatd work
lowering springs ARE NOT COMPATIBLE with coilover springs but u can swap a different coilover spring for another coilover spring or u can get any size and rate from swift

Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 AM
eibach and gc sell coilover springs in any length and spring rates you want...