Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

front under brace or front strut tower

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
front under brace or front strut tower

I am in a bind on which to order.. i know i will be getting both eventually but i just need to pick one for the time being. I tried to search to figure which i should get first but i had no luck finding a solid answer.

What im running : Rear strut bar, Rear sway, D2 CO's.

Any suggestions would be a great help

Thanks in advance

Daniel

Old 05-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Personately, i would take the Underbrace!!

Marko!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i'd get the underbrace too

Old 05-23-2009, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
underbrace for sure.

Fit strut tower brace do nothing to be honest...but other car strut bar is actually stiffen on the coilover top mounts screws.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:04 PM
well i dunno cause i have both and can tell difference. from just one to both

Old 06-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Tanabe makes a nice front underbrace.

Tanabe Racing Development USA /inc.#

Old 06-17-2009, 07:19 PM
i love college
i would sell the rear sway bar and get both.. on our cars, the rear sway makes it worse when the car isnt on stock springs and shocks.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
^^ Really i had no idea this was true. So remove the sway and get the 2 up front.. could you explain to me why this would make the handling better?

and i still have yet to order any bars for the front.. i have a tattoo coming up and i plan to get them after that But as for handling goes, i just drove 2000 miles of pretty much highway driving over the weekend and the CO's and bars felt like they held the road great. Cruising the vermont curves at 75 was easier than ever before. But i feel as though i am missing something in the front.

Last edited by Bragi; 06-18-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:06 PM
i love college
PM JDMchris.com he's the one that explained it to me. but if you want a noticable improvement, buy both those and sell the rear sway to fund it

Old 06-18-2009, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't get rid of my rear sway....

get the underbrace.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
I wouldn't get rid of my rear sway....

get the underbrace.
Same here!! With my Rear Sway Bar the car handles better then ever and i have a Vogtland Sport Suspention! If you have problems with oversteer, just try to play with tire pressure a bit or install that beefier Blox bar up front!

Marko!!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
if you want a front strut bar get the ultra racing FSB.

one piece

Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't understand the guys who get rid of their rear sway because they have coilovers. I don't mind the extra harshness driving around NJ's weather/truck-destroyed roads, because on the rare occasion that I find a decent road to open it up, I'm glad I have it. I just bought t1r c-pillar and weapon r trunk cage, so it's definitely time to start focusing on the front. Lower arm bar + strut tower.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
I don't understand the guys who get rid of their rear sway because they have coilovers. I don't mind the extra harshness driving around NJ's weather/truck-destroyed roads, because on the rare occasion that I find a decent road to open it up, I'm glad I have it. I just bought t1r c-pillar and weapon r trunk cage, so it's definitely time to start focusing on the front. Lower arm bar + strut tower.

everyone has there own opinions on the Rear Sway Bar. personally i like it and the set up im running now i wouldnt change it at all. Never breaks loose and super solid.

im on coilovers and i dont have any issues.

Last edited by redrumm; 06-19-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
i think that if you get the rsb then upgrading the front to a larger one wouldnt hurt either. I wouldnt think you need to remove it, like people said just make adjustments and add some front stuff to balance it out.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
my son and I drove VW Rabbits in the 80s with lowering springs and both of us were convinced by our experiences that we'd never go that route again. Good tires, light wheels and possibly some braces for improving the structural rigidity and let the well engineered stock stuff do its thing..... Maybe stiffer shocks..... Yeah, I am an old man with aches and pains, but my dash doesn't rattle and neither does my teeth.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:28 AM
If your suspension is set up properly, a sway/roll bar isn't necessary.

It's often assumed that a sway bar prevents body roll, but in reality, it prevents suspension movement. What I mean by that is, when turning to the left for example, a rear sway works by picking up the inside rear wheel, or form a different perspective, prevents it from dropping. This occurs because a sway is essentially a torsion spring tying together both suspension arms.

Because a car ultimately would prefer to be on all 4 wheels, the car "moves" back towards center, keeping all 4 wheels planted.

Many perceive this as limiting body roll, in reality it's the limiting of suspension movement and the decreasing of traction.

Really, under perfect conditions, a car that leans too much is a reflection of less than stellar suspension geometry, and too soft a spring.

Coilovers could in essence provide enough spring to limit roll, and lower the car enough to change the roll center, negating the need for a sway. Additionally, if the sway is not needed to fine tune the balance, the car will work better over the bumps as every corner of the car is now working completely independent of the other.

Miata guys have been known to use really crazy spring rates without sways. Though it may seem like the ride would be too punishing, the removal of the sways actually allowed the suspension to work that much better. In the case of the Fit, the rear suspension corners are already tied together by the torsion beam inherent to the design, so even without adding a sway, the car already kind of has one.

I myself would prefer a softer, slightly higher setup, that is fine tuned with sways as really, everything I just wrote is really only applicable to smooth tracks.

Last edited by pilosopo; 06-20-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:30 AM
i love college
what he said.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:22 AM
eh...I'm gonna leave it on until I get all the strutbars and braces that I want, then when I'm done I'll decide if I still want it. I probably will though. In my view, the more bars the better lol