Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

To all you suspension have a question about the rear suspension of the 07-08 fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:17 AM
To all you suspension have a question about the rear suspension of the 07-08 fit

okay i have seen a fit i want to buy it was hit from the rear but not to hard only the hatch rear bumper needed to be changed and alittle pull needed by the right quarter panel nothing major where the quarter panel needs to be changed the damage mightve maybe slightly pushed the rear right suspension forward and maybe the right side where the tire is pushed forward a couple inches i don't know yet tell i buy the car but if it does... can the rear suspension just right side be changed like the knuckle or watever where the tires is.
i cant really tell from the pics i have to see it in person..but im just curious...

please let me know if only the right side can be changed because if it can't and i need a whole new piece suspension thats very expense and not worth to buy this car and fix it!!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:41 PM
The beam would likely have to replaced completely.

Our cars don't have a true independent suspension, it is really more semi-independent.

The two rear wheels are mounted on a large H shaped beam that locates them both in the side to side and forward and aft planes.

The reason I say semi-independent, is that though the a solid structure connects the two wheels, it is designed to twist and deflect, hence the name "torsion beam" suspension.

Because this beam is the sole means of locating the wheels, and it is shared by the two rear wheels, I'm almost positive that it should be replaced as a whole. Also, make sure the location point on the chassis is still fine, as there is only one hinge point per side of the car, so any impact would be focused on it, rather than dispersed through multiple locations points.

Image for visual learners

Old 06-17-2009, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
I was rear ended in my fit. luckily there was not any damage to the suspension. I just needed a new rear bumper/lip and part of the rear quarter. here is a pic of the damage:

Name:  0802081259-1.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  80.2 KB

I do not know what it would take to mess up the suspension but I am sure it would take quite a lot.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by pilosopo
The beam would likely have to replaced completely.

Our cars don't have a true independent suspension, it is really more semi-independent.

The two rear wheels are mounted on a large H shaped beam that locates them both in the side to side and forward and aft planes.

The reason I say semi-independent, is that though the a solid structure connects the two wheels, it is designed to twist and deflect, hence the name "torsion beam" suspension.

Because this beam is the sole means of locating the wheels, and it is shared by the two rear wheels, I'm almost positive that it should be replaced as a whole. Also, make sure the location point on the chassis is still fine, as there is only one hinge point per side of the car, so any impact would be focused on it, rather than dispersed through multiple locations points.

Image for visual learners
thanks alot for this information bro..

Old 06-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by mike410
I was rear ended in my fit. luckily there was not any damage to the suspension. I just needed a new rear bumper/lip and part of the rear quarter. here is a pic of the damage:

I do not know what it would take to mess up the suspension but I am sure it would take quite a lot.
oo i see bro you car is fixed pretty good..good thing u didn't change the whole quarter panel thats some major work..but yea the car im trying to get is very similar to your except the quarter panel looks alittle less.. i will find out if i buy it lol.. i hope the suspension is not missed up but if it is lol..big bucks!!