Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Rear springs being a real PITA!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
Rear springs being a real PITA!

That's the second time i try to loosen the bolts to install my rear springs and my RSB... and still nothing... I tried PL100, with bigger tools, with the car jacked up and the wheels removed, with the car on level ground... NOTHING! even with an air impact and it won't move a bit... the only thing i did'nt try so far is a torch... Before i do that does anybody have a suggestion??? I know that for most people everything went well, but i guess that with the tougher winters in Canada it might be a factor...

Is there a position where the bolt is'nt subject to any force?

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2010, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
Well good luck. I did not have any problems other than forgetting to undo the ABS sensors and broke one.

My car had been undercoated so maybe I had some on the nuts that made it easy.

In this pic the shock bolts came out easy. How about going to Midas and have them loosen them? Heck they would likely even put the rear springs in for not very much

I had mine done at my local Dodge dealer for $80. That was all 4 after I had removed the wipers etc.

Link here for pic https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ge8-fit-2.html

Old 08-07-2010, 05:27 AM
Try a Lil bit off heat.. careful not to melt it.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
So nobody can tell me at which point the bolt will have the least pressure?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Which nuts are you trying to get off anyhopw? The nuts on the end of the bolt going through the end of the shock should loosen regardless of how it is supported. A bit of support then under the whole assembly and then knock the bolt out gently.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
mmmh seriously i gave it a lot... it did'nt move one bit... unless this is left hand thread... i might try with a longer wrench... but again the air impact did'nt work, soooo...

Old 08-09-2010, 07:15 PM
You are putting a wrench on the bolt on the opposite side correct? If you don't that nut is just going to spin all day long, the impact wrench won't spin it fast enough to break it free unless the bolt is held fast.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
mmmh... you're talking about the round nut right? well i'm not crazy about using a pipe wrench or vise grip on these... and anyways nothing seems too move... and i'm almost certain about that... I almost thought of drilling the head and then pushing it out... but not crazy about this either... plus i can't afford any down time...

Old 08-10-2010, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cr4zy3lgato
mmmh... you're talking about the round nut right? well i'm not crazy about using a pipe wrench or vise grip on these... and anyways nothing seems too move... and i'm almost certain about that... I almost thought of drilling the head and then pushing it out... but not crazy about this either... plus i can't afford any down time...
What round nut? Why am I getting the feeling you are trying to remove the wrong nut?

See this pic the bolt is laying onthe floor it Has a hex head that will fit a wrench nicely.

If you still cannot get it off go to Midas and spend $20 to have them loosen them. They deal with them all the time.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
LOL... don't worry, we're talking about the same bolt... The nut on GD3 are round... and the bolts have a pointy tip... well i think i'll try one more time... then i will go to a garage...

Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cr4zy3lgato
LOL... don't worry, we're talking about the same bolt... The nut on GD3 are round... and the bolts have a pointy tip... well i think i'll try one more time... then i will go to a garage...
Whew. Those pesky GDs. Trade it for a GE -). Then it is a Grand Experience not a Gawd Damn one. Well at least when changing springs.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Whew. Those pesky GDs. Trade it for a GE -). Then it is a Grand Experience not a Gawd Damn one. Well at least when changing springs.
pfft... let me tell you something, i helped user dela install his GC sleeves and that was a Gawd Damned experience lol!.. we don't have to remove our weather cowl to install springs/coilovers on the front end.. we also have more space for installing headers. what's it like on the GE, o wait..
/GD and GE friendly banter

@ cr4zy3lgato
have the bolts been removed before? there's a chance that whomever reinstalled them may have cross threaded the bracket -- that would suck. if not, try spraying some pb blaster on there and letting it settle for 10 min. then tackle it with a breaker bar + cheater bar combo and that should do the trick.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
pfft... let me tell you something, i helped user dela install his GC sleeves and that was a Gawd Damned experience lol!.. we don't have to remove our weather cowl to install springs/coilovers on the front end.. we also have more space for installing headers. what's it like on the GE, o wait..
/GD and GE friendly banter

@ cr4zy3lgato
have the bolts been removed before? there's a chance that whomever reinstalled them may have cross threaded the bracket -- that would suck. if not, try spraying some pb blaster on there and letting it settle for 10 min. then tackle it with a breaker bar + cheater bar combo and that should do the trick.
Hey we get to see how the cowling goes on and how to break a clip or two. Headers? Who needs headers? We don't got those so we save a lot of money. And our nuts are more user friendly. Well the ones on the shocks for sure

I think OP will be playing with his nuts for awhile til he gets them off

Old 08-10-2010, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Hey we get to see how the cowling goes on and how to break a clip or two. Headers? Who needs headers? We don't got those so we save a lot of money. And our nuts are more user friendly. Well the ones on the shocks for sure

I think OP will be playing with his nuts for awhile til he gets them off

you, good-sir, owe me a new keyboard. this one is now soaked in coffee lol

Old 08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Something has gone horribly wrong in this thread. LOL Those nuts are NOT round when the car left Honda my friend, someone may have screwed yours up previously. Use vise grips on them, and get new ones to replace, you won't want to use the old ones regardless. Mine were tight, but nowhere near the ordeal you are describing.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Well cr4zy3lgato you still got you nuts or did you get them off?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
No still have'nt had time to get back under the car... i will try to get a breaker bar...
Just to answer a few things, these bolts never been touched, i'm the only owner of the car, unless a japanese cross-threaded the bolts...
As for the nuts i garantee you that they are round, and not because they've been rounded... a guy at honda told me they are welded...
LOL since everybody seem too think i'm nuts (sorry for the bad wordplay) i'll try too take pictures next time!

Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Oh no pictures of his nuts.

Instead of a breaker bar try a hooker.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
I know this may sound crazy, but it has been said to work very well when dealing with frozen on bolts, nuts, etc. It's an old school trick.

Heat the bolt/nut using a torch or W/E you may want to use. It doesn't have to be glowing red hot, just heat it up considerably.

Once heated, use either a candle stick or a crayon (wax crayon that is) and let it melt onto the bolt/nut so that the wax would seep through the threads and act as a lubricant to loosen things up. Try to melt the candle stick/crayon at the side of the bolt head or at the center of the nut where you would see the bottom piece of the bolt that's protruding so that the wax would seep in as quickly as possible.

I'm not sure how much needs to be melted, but I would assume don't skimp. If using a crayon, I guess just use the entire crayon (by this I mean 1 piece).

It sounds crazy but if you're going to try one more time, there's nothing to be lost by giving this a shot.

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 08-19-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
This does'nt sound crazy at all... this should expand the hole while the bolt should shrink... thanks for the tip! lol... but did you try it yourself?

Quick Reply: Rear springs being a real PITA!