Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Swift Sport Springs Review thread (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
All four tires went back where they came from. I keep my tire pressure at 30 front and back because the Eagle GT's are stiff as hell and the low pressure makes them tolerable. I noticed after I installed the swifts that when I hit a dip that really loads the suspension the rear seems to lack rebound damping and tends to get a little bouncy.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
If it is bouncing lowering the rear tire pressure isn't going to do much good... You might want to take a look at the Tokico shocks and struts also... I have seen pretty decent pricing at Amazon.com on the KYB shocks.. I have gotten a few items from them at prices that never were beaten by more than about 4% and most items ship for free.. Hope you get a decent deal on some shocks and that they work well for you...

Old 04-24-2011, 12:50 AM
Hey bean those wheels look good yea I got 16x8 +20 205/45 they rub on big dips but that's it lol

Old 04-24-2011, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by willy65000
Well, I ended up installing the swifts today and it took me around 5 hours give or take. the only thing I had trouble with was loosening the top nut on the fronts. I'm pretty sure I almost striped one of them with the allen wrench. Then I ended up clamping the allen wrench into a bench vice while it was in the top of the strut. The strut was resting on the work bench like this so I could hit the combination wrench with a hammer for a little impact action.

Initial impressions are good but the rear shocks are definitely under damped for rebound. I emailed KYB and asked them if there GR2 shocks for the fit have the same valving as oem and without really answering the question they said that most of there replacement shocks are valved around 15 percent stiffer than oem. If I decide to try them I'll report back.
hum... maybe I'm not as sensitive to notice it as you do.

but, my GE doesn't bounce. Are you sure you put them in correctly?

Pardon the accusation... are you sure your shocks in the rear are re-mounted and working properly? Maybe your shocks have busted.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
Well, that's good news that KYB has dampers out for us. GR-2s, or the equivalent Excel-G would be an excellent match for the Swift springs, as the change in spring rate from stock is about that much.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
hum... maybe I'm not as sensitive to notice it as you do.

but, my GE doesn't bounce. Are you sure you put them in correctly?

Pardon the accusation... are you sure your shocks in the rear are re-mounted and working properly? Maybe your shocks have busted.
I believe I read somewhere that he had 90,000 miles on his car. I don't know if he has the OEM shocks or replacements though.. The Tokico shocks I really like have adjustable damping and sell for just under $1100.. I still need to spend bunches of money elsewhere on my car and other projects first so hopefully I can find them cheaper by the time I am ready for them which actually was a couple of weeks ago... I prefer better rear dampening over an anti sway bar for the way I drive.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 04-24-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I believe I read somewhere that he had 90,000 miles on his car. I don't know if he has the OEM shocks or replacements though.. The Tokico shocks I really like have adjustable damping and sell for just under $1100.. I still need to spend bunches of money elsewhere on my car and other projects first so hopefully I can find them cheaper by the time I am ready for them which actually was a couple of weeks ago... I prefer better rear dampening over an anti sway bar for the way I drive.
I'm inclined to think he has his original OE shocks... so that's where I'm putting the virtual bet on. don't most shocks have a 50k miles replacement cycle?

All I know is, one rear shock sprung a leak at 100k+ miles on a Nissan Pathfinder... and when I went to replace it, I found out the other shock was "flat"... and since I never saw that shock covered in anything but rain and dust, I have to assume it blew long before I got the truck. Which doesn't surprise me, since my sister and her husband... well, I'll just leave it at that.

Now that I think about it... it makes perfect sense.

One side went flat... they just liked that the car rode "smoother" . But with the SUV relying on one remaining shock in the rear... the lower bolt that the shock mounts onto, took far more impact forces than it was designed to... causing it to slowly bend downward. When I put the new shock, the bolt was no longer in the correct position. Proved to be rather difficult doing the installation, trying to get around a bent bolt. Then, driving around like that caused it to slide off the grommet, smacking itself against the rear axle, while the grommet was shoved far enough to encase the attachment nut (glad it didn't slide the other way!). I then, with the help of my father on grinder, had to jury rig the replacement for THAT shock with "cut" washers so it wouldn't happen again. If you're asking why I couldn't just replace the bolt... well, that's cause the bolt is part of the rear axle!!! The mechanic I talked to wouldn't recommend attempting to straightening it out either. It's already fatigued by single handedly doing the work of TWO shock bolts... If it broke... I'd have to replace the whole freaking axle. LOVELY, isn't it?

And yes, I think KYBs are stiffer than OEM (granted, it's two new KYB shocks vs one remaining OE shock). Though, I don't think I'd like it over the current shocks in the Fit. Can't stand some of these bumps as it is.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Goobers... As cold as the weather gets up where you live I'll bet the shock fluid becomes nearly solid especially when you first start the car and take off after it has been sitting all night. Of course your tires are going to be stiff as well under the same conditions I was driving on the 195-45-16s during the winter and they wouldn't hook up at all on dry pavement after driving on them at over 100MPH for 4 miles and the ride was rough with a 450Lb load in freezing weather.. My van and pickup are like pogo sticks when it is hot yet ride and run beautifully when it is cold where my Fit feels slightly less dampened but with the Swift springs more controlled than the trucks... I think for the weather extremes and the need for winter snow tires with heavy steel wheels for so much of the year that adjustable dampening shocks would be a joy to have as they would here when triple digit temperatures are common off and on from May through mid September... It was a bitch going to school before they started putting air conditioning in them and little kids had to come inside and take naps after eating lunch and go back out around 6:00 or 7:00... Today it was well over 90 outside and my intake air temperature with the sensor in the inter cooler was over 145 degrees and driving with the A/C on in second and third gear mostly up hill at 20MPH to not kick up dust took the water temperature up to 197 by the time I had pulled in the barn .. The stock shocks work surprisingly well considering but I do have to drive slower when off of pavement or the shocks being a bit squishy will allow the bottom of the car to scrape when returning home after a 25 mile drive where it wouldn't on the same surface after it was first started and taken out of the barn... I have a little under 38,000 miles on my car so the shocks are still working OK but when they start getting bad I'm going to splurge.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member
Adjustable dampers eh? I'll have to read much more about that.

The way I'm going, my shocks might give out before yours does!!! I already put just under 16k miles in 10 months (on my way to passing 18k by June, aka, 1 yr after purchase). Wait, didn't you have aftermarket air shocks? Did you put your stock shocks back on?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Adjustable dampers eh? I'll have to read much more about that.

The way I'm going, my shocks might give out before yours does!!! I already put just under 16k miles in 10 months (on my way to passing 18k by June, aka, 1 yr after purchase). Wait, didn't you have aftermarket air shocks? Did you put your stock shocks back on?
I haven't changed back to the stock shocks but I might in time... The air shocks are too long with the Swift springs and if I was to get airborne the springs could fall out off of the mounts onto the ground like they do when I jack both rear wheels off of the ground.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Yea, everything is mounted up good guys. I think the mileage on my car may be a factor but the shocks definitely weren't leaking.

If money was no object I would probably try the Tokico HTS but the price is pretty outrageous for a set of mediocre shocks. $1100.00 is more than a set of Bilsteins or Konis.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

I chose Swift Mach Sport springs for my GD3 based on all the favourable review here and on other forums of various cars. The common theme seemed to be improved performance above just looks or drop. And for me, that was what I was looking for my DD. My car was just under 60K km and at this time I only wanted springs that would be compatible with the stock shocks.

I found that Swift delivers. I'm satisfied that my Fit looks lower but even more satisfied about the ride & performance. I was hard pressed to tell much of a difference in ride comfort. No jarring or bounciness. But handling IS improved. Less roll, squat and taking highway on & off ramps are a joy. An absolute blast when they're free of traffic and I actually get to speed up thru it. The car just feels so planted, balanced and relatively neutral. At that's on my stock Bridgestones! I'm getting better tires and lighter wheels soon and can't wait to see what that does.

BTW, I did before & after measurements. The front drop was 30mm but the rear was only 6mm. It seems that my particular GD3 had sagging OEM springs in the back.. Also, I have checked after a couple months and no change in drop.

After:

Last edited by Juan2Six; 08-30-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juan2Six
I chose Swift Mach Sport springs for my GD3 based on all the favourable review here and on other forums of various cars. The common theme seemed to be improved performance above just looks or drop. And for me, that was what I was looking for my DD. My car was just under 60K km and at this time I only wanted springs that would be compatible with the stock shocks.

I found that Swift delivers. I'm satisfied that my Fit looks lower but even more satisfied about the ride & performance. I was hard pressed to tell much of a difference in ride comfort. No jarring or bounciness. But handling IS improved. Less roll, squat and taking highway on & off ramps are a joy.
Yeaaaaa! Another satisfied Swift owner! The best mod for a Fit if you do nothing else.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
any recommendations on where i can get cheap swifts?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Santiad
Evasive Motorsports has them for $254

Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Santiad
2nd on evasive. There's also set in the forum classifieds.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...t-springs.html

Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
Not sure if i'll get a reply since this is an old thread but is it a good investment to have Swift mach springs with OEM shocks?

Old 02-21-2013, 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by Bluflu
Not sure if i'll get a reply since this is an old thread but is it a good investment to have Swift mach springs with OEM shocks?
I got my swifts and Tokico HTS's at the same time (and love it) so i can't say for sure, but everything i've read says yes. with the moderate drop and reasonable spring rates you should (somebody tell me if this is BS) still get a noticeable improvement on stock shocks/struts. too bad the tokico factory sale is over... get the swifts, seriously, and start saving for some HP's.
Just my opinion...

Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
thanks for replying so fast!

im wondering what are Hp's?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Bluflu
thanks for replying so fast!

im wondering what are Hp's?
Tokico Blues. Get the HTS's if you can afford them, otherwise the Blues or some KYB's would work.

I waited until I had the cash for shocks [I]and[I] springs, and recommend that, but it's up to you.

Quick Reply: Swift Sport Springs Review thread (pics)