Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Some clarification for my first mods. Help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 05:12 AM
Some clarification for my first mods. Help, please!

This is a LONG post. PLEASE help a newcomer out and read the whole thing. You were all in my shoes once.

Hi, I've been trawling the site since shortly after I bought my '07 Fit Sport A/T (I drive in a lot of traffic) about a year ago, but this is my first post, and I'd appreciate a little help... I've finally saved up $800-900 to start tinkering and I'm looking at some suspension upgrades. I have exactly zero interest in making my car louder, and I have no where near the money for a k-swap or forced induction, so "power" mods are on the back burner for now (I'll settle for introducing the gas pedal to the floorboard). Appearance-wise I'm fine with only a slight drop - 1"-1.5" range. The Red Menace is my DD, and will likely remain so for a year or two at least. The roads here are good, not great, so I need some clearance. I don't track my car, but I do my best ambulance driver impression on the way to work every day, and I take curve speed limits as a personal challenge. Suffice it to say, I'm looking for improved cornering/handling without shattering my tailbone when I hit a smallish pothole.

OKAY, after that extended intro (you guys [I should probably say "y'all" since I'm from Texas] do tend to ask for more details) here's the fact checking portion:

1. Coilovers, while they provide optimum handling and adjustability, tend to be a little too harsh for a dedicated DD that sees little or no track time.
2. Linear springs are more track friendly, while progressive springs fare better on open roads.
3. KYB dampers are basically OEM replacements, and Tokico blues are a very short step up.
4. The only other widely available aftermarket dampers are T1R's (about which I've heard very little).
5. If the springs are stiff in the back, but noticeably softer in the front, the FIT, which tends to slightly understeer stock, will be more prone to oversteer, which is fun on the track, but requires caution on the road. (I'm willing to exercise that caution)
6. High spring rates will likely overwhelm stock dampers and result in a harsh/"bouncy" ride.
7. A rear sway bar promotes oversteer, but won't significantly stiffen the straight line ride, because it only really comes into play while cornering.
8. The Progress RSB is a solid and widely available choice. While there were initial fitment issues, they have been more or less dealt with.
9. A front strut bar, while helpful, is probably overkill, since the Fit is lightweight, has good stock rigidity, has a very short front overhang, isn't very powerful, and I won't be taking it to the track.

Aaaand... now the questions portion (bear with me; it'll be over soon):

1. Is there a better RSB available at a comparable price to the Progress?
2. What are the best springs if I'm looking for a relatively even drop (1.5F, 1.2R would be great, 1.8F, 0.9R not so much), and rates not too much stiffer than stock? (Leaning towards Progress again - the numbers add up, and I'm a sucker for uniformity.)
3. Is there a reasonably priced strut bar that makes sense for a glorified DD?
4. I'm keeping the stock 15" alloys until I can afford some lightweight 16"'s (PF01's?) and sticking with the 195/55/R15 tires, but the RM came with some pretty decent Bridgestones instead of the stock crap, and I'm leaning toward Kumho Ecsta 4X's for the next set - no $$ for multiple set-ups, so I need A/S's - unless you know of some summer's that'll actually grip in a downpour?

If you've stuck with me this far THANK YOU!! Now, PLEASE give me some constructive feedback. Thanks again, and in advance.

-Jesse

Old 10-18-2012, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blurred Visionary
This is a LONG post. PLEASE help a newcomer out and read the whole thing. You were all in my shoes once.

Hi, I've been trawling the site since shortly after I bought my '07 Fit Sport A/T (I drive in a lot of traffic) about a year ago, but this is my first post, and I'd appreciate a little help... I've finally saved up $800-900 to start tinkering and I'm looking at some suspension upgrades. I have exactly zero interest in making my car louder, and I have no where near the money for a k-swap or forced induction, so "power" mods are on the back burner for now (I'll settle for introducing the gas pedal to the floorboard). Appearance-wise I'm fine with only a slight drop - 1"-1.5" range. The Red Menace is my DD, and will likely remain so for a year or two at least. The roads here are good, not great, so I need some clearance. I don't track my car, but I do my best ambulance driver impression on the way to work every day, and I take curve speed limits as a personal challenge. Suffice it to say, I'm looking for improved cornering/handling without shattering my tailbone when I hit a smallish pothole.

OKAY, after that extended intro (you guys [I should probably say "y'all" since I'm from Texas] do tend to ask for more details) here's the fact checking portion:

1. Coilovers, while they provide optimum handling and adjustability, tend to be a little too harsh for a dedicated DD that sees little or no track time.
2. Linear springs are more track friendly, while progressive springs fare better on open roads.
3. KYB dampers are basically OEM replacements, and Tokico blues are a very short step up.
4. The only other widely available aftermarket dampers are T1R's (about which I've heard very little).
5. If the springs are stiff in the back, but noticeably softer in the front, the FIT, which tends to slightly understeer stock, will be more prone to oversteer, which is fun on the track, but requires caution on the road. (I'm willing to exercise that caution)
6. High spring rates will likely overwhelm stock dampers and result in a harsh/"bouncy" ride.
7. A rear sway bar promotes oversteer, but won't significantly stiffen the straight line ride, because it only really comes into play while cornering.
8. The Progress RSB is a solid and widely available choice. While there were initial fitment issues, they have been more or less dealt with.
9. A front strut bar, while helpful, is probably overkill, since the Fit is lightweight, has good stock rigidity, has a very short front overhang, isn't very powerful, and I won't be taking it to the track.

Aaaand... now the questions portion (bear with me; it'll be over soon):

1. Is there a better RSB available at a comparable price to the Progress?
2. What are the best springs if I'm looking for a relatively even drop (1.5F, 1.2R would be great, 1.8F, 0.9R not so much), and rates not too much stiffer than stock? (Leaning towards Progress again - the numbers add up, and I'm a sucker for uniformity.)
3. Is there a reasonably priced strut bar that makes sense for a glorified DD?
4. I'm keeping the stock 15" alloys until I can afford some lightweight 16"'s (PF01's?) and sticking with the 195/55/R15 tires, but the RM came with some pretty decent Bridgestones instead of the stock crap, and I'm leaning toward Kumho Ecsta 4X's for the next set - no $$ for multiple set-ups, so I need A/S's - unless you know of some summer's that'll actually grip in a downpour?

If you've stuck with me this far THANK YOU!! Now, PLEASE give me some constructive feedback. Thanks again, and in advance.

-Jesse
Hello fellow Texan.
I do have a set of lowering springs that I have not used in a long time and is collecting dust somewhere. They are Tanabe GF210's which provide a comfortable ride yet responsive. The lowering rates are within your range if I remember 1.5" front 1.0" rear.

The RSB does have a tendency(for me) to break loose in the rear turning too hard. So if you need to jerk your car for whatever reason, just know that there is a chance the rear will get loose and may send you in a direction you probably dont want to. Scared me the first time and I went sideways O.O
I still use it, just more careful around fast cornering, but it still definitely helps.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Swift springs + Tokico HP + Progress RSB + Kumho 4x

That's what I would do if I had a GD daily driver anyway.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks, guys. I was starting to wonder if I was ever going to get any replies. Wanderer, you've pretty much nailed my current plan, except I'm going to try and grab some HTS's instead of HP's while Tokico is having their sale. That, and hopefully some lighter 15" wheels. As for sway bar-induced oversteer, my first car was a '93 240SX - I can manage some oversteer.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, guys. I was starting to wonder if I was ever going to get any replies. Wanderer, you've pretty much nailed my current plan, except I'm going to try and grab some HTS's instead of HP's while Tokico is having their sale. That, and hopefully some lighter 15" wheels. As for sway bar-induced oversteer, my first car was a '93 240SX - I can manage some oversteer.
Sounds like you have everything sorted

lite weight 15's, better tires, springs + dampers, RSB. In my opinion, that's the order you should try for the most noticeable results You will not be disappointed in the Tokico HTS!!!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm trying to chase down a set of 15x7 +41 RPF1's for <$700 right now. A guy was selling some a little while back, and I'm trying to see if they're still available.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Great rims and an awesome price! I know several people who stock those wheels for a reasonable price if you need another source, PM me

Old 10-18-2012, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Swift springs + Tokico HP + Progress RSB + Kumho 4x

That's what I would do if I had a GD daily driver anyway.
This seems to be the recommended setup - I've heard all these repeated over on the forum. Does anyone ARGUE with these choices?

I don't know about 100% of the stuff you wrote for fact checking, but what I do know about, I don't argue with anything you wrote. Seems like you've done the HW and are relatively up to speed. No harm in asking though right? Welcome.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
I'd get the J's Racing, Mugen or Spoon fixed height/damping shock/spring combo.

Drop is the height you wanted, the springs and dampers are perfectly matched, the build quality is OEM+, if I didn't have a desire to tuck tyre I'd be all over one of those setups.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 AM
just bought the Tokico HTS's. Stupid-anxious for them to arrive... Thanks, Tyler.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Let us know how it goes after installation. Sounds like a great place to start! However, you know once you start modifications - you can't stop!

Old 10-21-2012, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cat
Let us know how it goes after installation. Sounds like a great place to start! However, you know once you start modifications - you can't stop!
Haha, some one's got the bug for sure! Even if it's just on OEM springs, you'll notice the difference in ride!!!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Cat
^^ so very true, I was only going to lightly mod my Fit, lol.

I was ver happy with the progress lowering springs when I had them. They felt very close to the OEM ride quality. Paired with the RSB the car was a lot of fun. h

Old 10-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Yeah, the bug has bitten, for sure. The dampers haven't even arrived yet and I'm already doing paycheck math to see when I can get the RSB...

Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Quick question, do you have springs already? Because the dampers have to come off to do those...

Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 AM
not yet. no $$ for them, currently. i may wait to install the dampers until i can get the springs too. thoughts?

Old 10-23-2012, 12:24 PM
not yet. no $$ for them, currently. i may wait to install the dampers until i can get the springs too. thoughts?
Yes, do this unless you enjoy doing extra work. You have to remove the dampers to install the springs. Well, you can get away with just removing the bottom shock bolt to do the rear springs but that's the easy part anyway, it's the front that more of a pain.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
^+1

Not to mention, when you install the Progress RSB you have to remove the rear springs as well.... Haha, at least that is super easy!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:47 AM
thanks for the input, everyone. okay, i have to confess, i'm not a DIY guy... i probably could do the install(s) myself, but i don't have the equipment or experience - all of my tuner friends seem to have moved or gotten married/incarcerated.... whoops. so the timeline includes install price. i definitely WILL post pictures and opinions when everything is in place.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:52 AM
also, these are the prices i'm looking at right now, so if anyone knows a better (cheaper) source....

swift springs: $285 shipped
progress RSB: $150 shipped
rpf1's 15x7(new): $765 shipped

i'm trawling the classifieds, of course, but any help would be appreciated...

Quick Reply: Some clarification for my first mods. Help, please!