Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Some clarification for my first mods. Help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
OUCH on the Swift springs, but being no longer in production your lucky to find some one with them in stock

AWESOME price on the RPF1's

If you were closer I'd do your installs! Maybe troll the section of the FF forums for your area? Ask if some one in your neck of the woods has a jack, jack stands, hand tools, EXPERIENCE and is willing to trade them for company and maybe a 6 pack or lunch Always works for me and my group.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
OUCH on the Swift springs, but being no longer in production your lucky to find some one with them in stock

AWESOME price on the RPF1's

If you were closer I'd do your installs! Maybe troll the section of the FF forums for your area? Ask if some one in your neck of the woods has a jack, jack stands, hand tools, EXPERIENCE and is willing to trade them for company and maybe a 6 pack or lunch Always works for me and my group.
I have all of the tools I need and a huge indoor work area to work in.. Abusing my body by being a wild and crazy guy when I was young and the medication I need to take to be able to not be in constant pain is making it all worthless to me now.... I wish some guys like you and your friends were around here...

Old 10-24-2012, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blurred Visionary
thanks for the input, everyone. okay, i have to confess, i'm not a DIY guy... i probably could do the install(s) myself, but i don't have the equipment or experience - all of my tuner friends seem to have moved or gotten married/incarcerated.... whoops. so the timeline includes install price. i definitely WILL post pictures and opinions when everything is in place.
What part of this huge expansive state are you located?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
What part of this huge expansive state are you located?
^One of the best FitFreak resources you could get pointed to

Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
^One of the best FitFreak resources you could get pointed to
Sorry, I meant the question for visionary... Are you also located in Texas?

Old 10-24-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm in Longview, TX. That's 125 miles east of Dallas along I-20 if you're unfamiliar with it. It would be awesome if someone in the area with the tools and experience (emphasis on experience) could help. I'd be willing to drive a couple hours to wherever they were and I'd happily trade LARGE quantities of food & beverage for the service.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in Longview, TX. That's 125 miles east of Dallas along I-20 if you're unfamiliar with it. It would be awesome if someone in the area with the tools and experience (emphasis on experience) could help. I'd be willing to drive a couple hours to wherever they were and I'd happily trade LARGE quantities of food & beverage for the service.
I was up Longview last month and bought a Cadillac... Everything you are wanting to do to your GD3 I've already done to mine... About all I could do is show you how to do whatever it is you want to do and provide tools, floor and bottle jacks, jack stands, shop manual and space inside my barn.. I'd want help with doing what I need to do to get my GD3 back on the road... I am old and getting to where I have mobility problems that I didn't have just a few years ago.... I'm located 45 miles south of Tyler 7 miles northwest of the Courthouse in Palestine out in the woods.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:44 PM
I was up Longview last month and bought a Cadillac... Everything you are wanting to do to your GD3 I've already done to mine... About all I could do is show you how to do whatever it is you want to do and provide tools, floor and bottle jacks, jack stands, shop manual and space inside my barn.. I'd want help with doing what I need to do to get my GD3 back on the road... I am old and getting to where I have mobility problems that I didn't have just a few years ago.... I'm located 45 miles south of Tyler 7 miles northwest of the Courthouse in Palestine out in the woods.
Does that offer have an expiration date? Like I said, I'm probably going to wait until I have the RSB and the springs, and then install everything at once. Might be a couple of months.... Thanks again.

Oh, and the HTS's just arrived today. pretty excited...

Old 11-01-2012, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
also, these are the prices i'm looking at right now, so if anyone knows a better (cheaper) source....

swift springs: $285 shipped
progress RSB: $150 shipped
rpf1's 15x7(new): $765 shipped

i'm trawling the classifieds, of course, but any help would be appreciated...
high stuff, dang, I was trying to pawn off my springs to you for a low price lol. 285 is high for the spring market.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
thanks for the input, everyone. okay, i have to confess, i'm not a DIY guy... i probably could do the install(s) myself, but i don't have the equipment or experience - all of my tuner friends seem to have moved or gotten married/incarcerated.... whoops. so the timeline includes install price. i definitely WILL post pictures and opinions when everything is in place.
Yep, you'll need a spring compressor to get the front springs off the dampers since they're all in a strut. The rear springs you can get away with since they're not installed along the same axis.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Yep, you'll need a spring compressor to get the front springs off the dampers since they're all in a strut. The rear springs you can get away with since they're not installed along the same axis.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.
I've installed a set of springs on a GD and a GD without needing a spring compressor... Just remove the top nuts on the shafts before raising the car... Actually if I recall correctly, just loosening the top nut almost to the top of the threads relieved all of the tension...

Old 11-01-2012, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member
I've installed a set of springs on a GD and a GD without needing a spring compressor... Just remove the top nuts on the shafts before raising the car... Actually if I recall correctly, just loosening the top nut almost to the top of the threads relieved all of the tension...
If its stock springs, there will be tension. Although you can take it off without a compressor. It wont be the case if new shocks and springs are bought because the new springs are already compressed enough to put on the top bolt.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:45 AM
So, this is a bit past due, but everything is installed now, thanks to my super-handy brother-in-law. Of note, I only needed (or maybe not - we were being careful) a spring compressor to remove the OEM springs from the OEM struts. Additionally, despite having given the "oh no, my axle popped out" thread at least a cursory read, that still happened, turning the front install from a two hour job into a four hour job and a trip to autozone. the results are, quite frankly, amazing. i'm only about half way between full firm and full soft (glorified DD, after all), and yet body roll is virtually gone, and feedback is ~1,000,000 times better. It's honestly a little bit too much fun to drive now. No tickets yet (knock on wood). I've never tried to link photos to a thread, but here goes:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...64342987_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...76268897_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...01931861_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...88155148_n.jpg
So... now just saving up for some RPF1's and some Kumho Ecsta 4X's...

Thanks again to everybody who provided input.
Also, opinion - silver or SBC finish Enkei's?

Last edited by Blurred Visionary; 02-06-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
The wheels and tires are going to make a huge improvement as well..

Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Yea.... I even had an axle pop out on a GE...

2-4 hours? Don't feel bad!!! On my first spring/strut install, mine dropped out. We though we had it all back together, then it slipped out during the test drive and ate it.... had to buy another axle...

Glad to hear you got what you were looking for!!! If you want to have fun with that setup, even on whatever tires and heavy OEM wheels, get thee to a local SCCA Solo event

Texas Coyote is also right.... once light weight wheels and sticky firmer side walled rubber is on there, it will be a whole new car again

My .02 is silver finish. Bright colors/finishes look clean and pop on red.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Yea.... I even had an axle pop out on a GE...

2-4 hours? Don't feel bad!!! On my first spring/strut install, mine dropped out. We though we had it all back together, then it slipped out during the test drive and ate it.... had to buy another axle...

Glad to hear you got what you were looking for!!! If you want to have fun with that setup, even on whatever tires and heavy OEM wheels, get thee to a local SCCA Solo event

Texas Coyote is also right.... once light weight wheels and sticky firmer side walled rubber is on there, it will be a whole new car again

My .02 is silver finish. Bright colors/finishes look clean and pop on red.
The wheels and tires are going to make a huge improvement as well..
What they said^^

Old 02-06-2013, 04:52 PM
So, this is a bit past due, but everything is installed now, thanks to my super-handy brother-in-law. Of note, I only needed (or maybe not - we were being careful) a spring compressor to remove the OEM springs from the OEM struts. Additionally, despite having given the "oh no, my axle popped out" thread at least a cursory read, that still happened, turning the front install from a two hour job into a four hour job and a trip to autozone. the results are, quite frankly, amazing. i'm only about half way between full firm and full soft (glorified DD, after all), and yet body roll is virtually gone, and feedback is ~1,000,000 times better. It's honestly a little bit too much fun to drive now. No tickets yet (knock on wood). I've never tried to link photos to a thread, but here goes:

So... now just saving up for some RPF1's and some Kumho Ecsta 4X's...

Thanks again to everybody who provided input.
Also, opinion - silver or SBC finish Enkei's?
Tadaaaaa

Just use the little button with the mountains and yellow background and enter the picture URL.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Tadaaaaa

Just use the little button with the mountains and yellow background and enter the picture URL.
I thought that was what I did... FAIL.

Sooo... $1175 for new Kumho's mounted and balanced on a set of new RPF1's, shipped.... fair price?
(195/55R15's on 15x7 +41's, btw)

Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
I thought that was what I did... FAIL.

Sooo... $1175 for new Kumho's mounted and balanced on a set of new RPF1's, shipped.... fair price?
(195/55R15's on 15x7 +41's, btw)
I paid $1200 for RPF1s shipped with same size Conti Pro Contact tires... If you got yours from Tire Rack they are probably coming from just down I-20 from you so your paying less for shipping. You may ask if you can pick them up there in Shreveport....The lady at the UPS store where I picked mine up told me my tires had arrived and couldn't believe it when I told her the boxes had wheels with tires on them. She insisted they didn't weigh enough to be wheels and tires.. The Kumhos are heavier than Contis because of the stiffer sidewalls.. You'll be cornering like you are on rails... You really should have someone with a camera with you when you take your first drive on them to record the joyous event... It's going to be a real eye opener.