Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Please Help. Fit or EP3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:46 PM
dsk
Please Help. Fit or EP3?

Hey Fit Owners,

I am currently looking into trading my car in for another car. Something thats a little more alive and fun to drive. I am coming from a 04.5 GTI 1.8T with minor bolt-on mods including a reflash. It currently puts down ~195-200whp and 240-250wtq. I love my VW, but to tell you the truth I have been getting too many reliability issues with it, especially when i commute ~100 miles a day to work and back.

So now I am turning to you guys to see if i could get some opinions and pointers. Here is a list of what i am looking for out of the car....

1. Reliable
2. Fairly good gas mileage. (Above 25mpg)
3. Great potential to become quick. (Daily Driven low 13's high 12's)
4. Great Handling as i want to join track events.

Now i understand that there aren't too many cars that fit my expectations stock, but who drives a stock car now-a-days =P. Im kidding, but i won't be keeping my car stock as i am an enthusiast for cars. I am a turbo freak, however i wouldn't mind giving NA or SC a try.

So here are some cars that i came up with. The cars I came up wtih are the cars that really floats around in my head and I feel as if these cars would be great.

1. Honda Fit (Very interested in k20a2 swap and keeping track of skunk2s Turbo Fit.)
2. Honda Civic Si EP3 (Have always wanted 1, came close but no cigar. Also interested in slapping a k20a2 in there.)
3. Mini Cooper S (I love the twincharge kit they have in the market for the Cooper S. 300whp easily done)
4. Audi S4 V6 Twin Turbo (Not really in the reliable category, but what an awesome car it is.)

Feel free to inform me about any car that i haven't mentioned. Thank you all in advance.

-Duston

Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 PM
dsk
hrmmmm, no opinions?

Old 10-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
1.Fit- As much as i love my fit your gonna need alot more then just an engine swap, you'll need to deal with the body roll to.

2.Ep3- Slap a K-Hybrid in there+ boost.

3.Mini- um no.

4. S4- i also considered this before i got my fit (only reason i didnt was it was the insurance would sucked) fast, sexy and drives like its on rails. but every time you have to go to Audi service dept. your check book will be saying BOHICA

Old 11-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Get the EP3. It's got one of the best FWD chassis' out there and you can easily crank out 230 hp without any forced induction. It's also a hatch, and is relatively light and flingable. It's also got decent gas mileage and looks sharp in vivid blue pearl. It's also relatively rare as a tuner car as it was rather lame duck stock and turned people off. Surprising people with a car that looks like a fast goldfish would be fun, and the fact that you can out handle just about anything on the road (with the stock suspension) is a bonus.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm I faced the same problemo:
But here's what influenced me....
EP3- Overtly sporty! nice engine but needs more power and i-vtec...RSX really screwed this car over in North America. Breat seats, plenty of room, great shifter...handling pretty good. Fuel economy not great average I've heard from owners seems to be around 25mpg mixed. Over all a great car but 2dr. Not really fast...7.6 0-60 15.8 quarter mile (Road &Track July '02) Where as the Fit does the same in 8.2 and 17.810@78.010mph respectively...these times are of course just for comparison because these do not tell you how fun a car is to drive.

Overall if you're also in the market for a S4 biturbo then a Fit isn't going to have to brute performance you seem to crave...the Si is a little disappointing from the stand point that it doesn't really preform as well as it should. Even though I still love it I went with the Fit Sport m/t...the 4 doors were really the deal breaker and the fact that the SI just didn't feel that much faster when I test drove them back to back.
Plus 34mpg is pretty darn nice to!

Old 11-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by Ricepuddin
1.Fit- As much as i love my fit your gonna need alot more then just an engine swap, you'll need to deal with the body roll to.

2.Ep3- Slap a K-Hybrid in there+ boost.

3.Mini- um no.

4. S4- i also considered this before i got my fit (only reason i didnt was it was the insurance would sucked) fast, sexy and drives like its on rails. but every time you have to go to Audi service dept. your check book will be saying BOHICA
any practical reason for saying no to the mini?

it handles better, has more power and is more fun than the fit.. if i didn't need 4 doors it would be my #1 choice

-joe

Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by GoFits
EP3- Overtly sporty! nice engine but needs more power and i-vtec...RSX really screwed this car over in North America. Breat seats, plenty of room, great shifter...handling pretty good. Fuel economy not great average I've heard from owners seems to be around 25mpg mixed. Over all a great car but 2dr. Not really fast...7.6 0-60 15.8 quarter mile (Road &Track July '02) Where as the Fit does the same in 8.2 and 17.810@78.010mph respectively...these times are of course just for comparison because these do not tell you how fun a car is to drive.
I had an EP3 for 2 years - Real easy to get more power. A good intake, headers, exhaust combo will put you around 150 at the wheels. A more agressive cam setup will net you 10-15 more hp if you don't mind cracking the engine. Very under rated. Easy to launch, fun to drive. I ran consistent 15.5 at the track stock with different tires and got 34mpg on the highway if I was taking it easy. Excellent chassis. Just needs a little more power as you said... This car really got the shaft by media and press IMHO.

My has been long sold but, was supercharged and a party to drive!

Hope this helps...

Old 11-28-2006, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
If you dont need the space of the Fit, it makes a lot more sense to get the EP3 IMHO.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:11 AM
ep3 cost more than a fit doesn't it?

-joe

Old 11-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Shoot, i say go with the mini s, if you dont need the 4 doors that is, freakin small and quick, and handles like a go-cart. PLUS nobody expects you to smoke them off the line (once you get a twin turby or other engine mods)

Old 11-29-2006, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
EP3 out of that group. Have you considered the new Si? Unless you really want a hatch, I would think an 06/07 Si would meet your needs.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by sillypuddy
ep3 cost more than a fit doesn't it?

-joe
My neighbor just sold his spotless 2003 EP3 with 20,000 miles for $11,200. I don't think you can find Fits for that yet.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 AM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Whatever your preference is, but go with the Fit. An overall combination of all 4 choices. Fuel efficient, less expensive, roomy, horsepower, and the best part... tuner friendly.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by peepod
My neighbor just sold his spotless 2003 EP3 with 20,000 miles for $11,200. I don't think you can find Fits for that yet.
you comparing a used 3, going on 4 year old car with a brand new fit

-joe

Old 11-30-2006, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sillypuddy
you comparing a used 3, going on 4 year old car with a brand new fit

-joe
That is true, but the OP shouldnt have TOO much trouble finding a late model EP3 for well under 15k. I know of several people who paid less than 16k for EP3s new.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
Don't wanna be a dick, but dude wasnt posted here in awhile i dont think we're realy helping

Old 12-01-2006, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dsk
Hey Fit Owners,

I am currently looking into trading my car in for another car. Something thats a little more alive and fun to drive. I am coming from a 04.5 GTI 1.8T with minor bolt-on mods including a reflash. It currently puts down ~195-200whp and 240-250wtq. I love my VW, but to tell you the truth I have been getting too many reliability issues with it, especially when i commute ~100 miles a day to work and back.

So now I am turning to you guys to see if i could get some opinions and pointers. Here is a list of what i am looking for out of the car....

1. Reliable
2. Fairly good gas mileage. (Above 25mpg)
3. Great potential to become quick. (Daily Driven low 13's high 12's)
4. Great Handling as i want to join track events.

Now i understand that there aren't too many cars that fit my expectations stock, but who drives a stock car now-a-days =P. Im kidding, but i won't be keeping my car stock as i am an enthusiast for cars. I am a turbo freak, however i wouldn't mind giving NA or SC a try.

So here are some cars that i came up with. The cars I came up wtih are the cars that really floats around in my head and I feel as if these cars would be great.

1. Honda Fit (Very interested in k20a2 swap and keeping track of skunk2s Turbo Fit.)
2. Honda Civic Si EP3 (Have always wanted 1, came close but no cigar. Also interested in slapping a k20a2 in there.)
3. Mini Cooper S (I love the twincharge kit they have in the market for the Cooper S. 300whp easily done)
4. Audi S4 V6 Twin Turbo (Not really in the reliable category, but what an awesome car it is.)

Feel free to inform me about any car that i haven't mentioned. Thank you all in advance.

-Duston
The turbo S4 is a blast to drive but a total piece of junk. There's a reason it was so quickly discontinued.

The Mini, especially with that kit you want, will also be a money pit.

If you really want an upgraded K20 I'd get the EP3. It's going to handle the engine much better than a Fit will, not to mention how much easier the swap will be.

The Fit is an outstanding car for the money. Not as fast as an EP3 (even stock) but still fun to drive. The interior is much more useful too. Of course, the EP3 is still very practical, just not quite as excellent as the Fit.

Last edited by watermelonman; 12-01-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by watermelonman
The turbo S4 is a blast to drive but a total piece of junk. There's a reason it was so quickly discontinued.

The Mini, especially with that kit you want, will also be a money pit.

If you really want an upgraded K20 I'd get the EP3. It's going to handle the engine much better than a Fit will, not to mention how much easier the swap will be.

The Fit is an outstanding car for the money. Not as fast as an EP3 (even stock) but still fun to drive. The interior is much more useful too. Of course, the EP3 is still very practical, just not quite as excellent as the Fit.
you do relize the Ep3 has a K20 in it. all it would need is a head swap

Old 12-01-2006, 01:55 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
if this guy ever comes back to see our opinions here are my 2 cents...

Honda Fit: I drive one and love it...if i had better credit than i would be in a Civic Si (the new one)

Civic Si EP3
: my friend had one and i did like driving cause when we go out to a club i would be the DD...it did get dissed alot from the media, but overall i thought it performed well.

Mini S: great car good handling and speed...have not heard anything about reliability.

S4: my buddies drive Audis (S4, A4)...if reliabilty is an issue they dont care they have their own shop to fix things.

My point is that you are looking at 4 different vehicles that are not in the same category...Audi S4 and Fit different in many ways...Mini S is alot more $$$ and you get a pocket rocket and it will beat the Fit...the Civic EP3 is the least amount $$$ you spend on any of these. So i would say the EP3 since you want some to go faster in between the Fit and the others...but i dont know how much you a willing to spend

Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
it depends on what u're looking for. as stated before, the fit's going to need alot of work and customization to get it rolling faster than an ep3. i would say that the fit is a car to get if u're looking for a SEXY looking gas saver with tons of fun!!

but as for the ep3, it wont get u the great gas saver that's in the fit but the direct swap of any k20 and or boost would be much simpler!! i currently have an ep3 and i love the damn thing, but being the person i am, not being able to keep a car for more than a year, i'm looking into getting a fit to replace it!!

scott

Quick Reply: Please Help. Fit or EP3?