Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

07 fit sport lowered on Tein springs not happy with the rake

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 AM
07 fit sport lowered on Tein springs not happy with the rake

Morning everyone, last night I lowered my '07 fit sport with tein springs. I havent got to drive it enough yet to review the ride but so far it seems to ride pretty good, and I havent rubbed anything yet. I am however not happy with the rake. I havent measured the height so I do not know how much of a rake it has ( I will measure when I get off work and post results)

Is there anyway to raise to the front or lower the rear to reduce the rake? It looks like about .5" would be enough to even it out.

Before and After pic I took with my cell phone
Name:  PhotoGrid_1363830010870_zps513baf58.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  377.3 KB

thanks in advance for your help!

-Gibson

Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Also is it possible to install the front spring incorrectly? I am 99% sure I installed them correct, looking back I think the spring could only go one way but when I am comparing my car to pics of other cars lowered on these same springs the front of mine looks lower.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like you did it correctly. Unfortunately, springs really do not offer that much drop. I think the most drop I've seen from springs will be with the Eibach Sportlines F2.0" R1.8". I am on Skunk2 springs and mine only dropped a little.

Hopefully yours still settles a bit, try driving it around for a while. Or if you're still not happy, just save up for coilovers. That's what I'm doing.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:02 PM
You did it right. According to the specs, Teins have 0.6" of rake front to back, which is on the high end for springs. My Swifts only have 0.2" (1.2"F and 1.0"R), but the drop overall is less. The sportlines do look to be the only springs with a big, almost-level drop. (I consider 2" a lot if your car is a DD).

Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 PM
jmsplitfyre - I am actually really happy with the drop in the front.. I would not want to go lower but the back just has too much rake. I want to get the rear to come down .5" if I can.

Blurred Visionary - when I looked into the teins I knew they had the most rake but looking at pics of them installed on cars the rake did not look that drastic, now that I have installed them on mine it looks pretty dang drastic. I agree with you I would not want to go with 2" springs I dont think, These 1.8" springs put the tire half an inch from the plastic wheel well. that is plenty close for me! Just have to figure out something with the rear spring situation

Old 03-21-2013, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
If you feel comfortable, You could trim one coil off of the rear. This is on both of the fits in my household. Here is the GD:

Name:  6DE9B8B0-8088-43D0-A848-B6B073FD3375-8784-000008F1D3FF3308_zps086c5773.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  74.0 KB
Name:  5FEEE5A0-9279-466D-AC45-2CFF8A0012F2-7810-00000936F29EE544.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  126.8 KB

Old 03-22-2013, 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by maroon88iroc
jmsplitfyre - I am actually really happy with the drop in the front.. I would not want to go lower but the back just has too much rake. I want to get the rear to come down .5" if I can.

Blurred Visionary - when I looked into the teins I knew they had the most rake but looking at pics of them installed on cars the rake did not look that drastic, now that I have installed them on mine it looks pretty dang drastic. I agree with you I would not want to go with 2" springs I dont think, These 1.8" springs put the tire half an inch from the plastic wheel well. that is plenty close for me! Just have to figure out something with the rear spring situation
Besides the sportlines, you have the option of Eibach prokits (1.6", 1.3"), H&R (same as prokits), or Sprints (1.7", 1.7"). The Sprints seem closest to what you want, but given the low price (~$140 BNIB) and lack of brand recognition, i'd definitely double-check before i installed them.

::loud whistle:: anyone heard anything about the sprint springs???

also, i wouldn't cut a coil unless form is more important than function to you... just my $.02...

Last edited by Blurred Visionary; 03-22-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by pearl
If you feel comfortable, You could trim one coil off of the rear. This is on both of the fits in my household. Here is the GD:

My old wagovan has tein springs that I trimmed front and rear and it still road great so I dont mind trimming the coil BUT I didnt think that was possible on the Fit because the spring diameter is smaller on each end. My thought was if you cut a coil the diameter would be wider therefore not fit. My old wagovan did not have this issue as the spring was the same diameter from top of coil to bottom of coil.

Can you elaborate a little? any chance you have a picture of the cut side of the spring sitting in the perch?

BTW your fit looks great!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Could the upper perch be modified at all?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
I didn't do the work, I bought them both used from the same member on this board. It looks like he cut one coil off and put some heater hose around it. Here is the thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...r-springs.html

Old 03-22-2013, 01:20 PM
I didn't do the work, I bought them both used from the same member on this board. It looks like he cut one coil off and put some heater hose around it. Here is the thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...r-springs.html

thanks for the info, I am going to mess with it some this weekend and try to get it down a little bit.. going to try some different options before I cut the spring.

I'm guessing yours are cut 1/2 coil as well? how is the ride?

Old 03-22-2013, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
The ride is great. I couldn't be happier with it. No need for coilovers with my wheels (which I was happy about) with my spring setup.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:19 PM
op can you take better pics on the side for reference?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Ok so Friday after work I removed the rear springs and trimmed exactly half a coil off, and I am happy with the results. I could feel a little difference in the ride in the rear it feels a little more bouncy but not much.

I took the car on a 400 mile trip this weekend so I can review the springs a little better. The drop on the Tein's in my opinion is too low in the front. I RARELY ever say something is too low but this is my vacation (road trip) car and with this drop and a 205/50/15 tire I rub the inner fenders on most bumps. I may be able to modify the inner fender a little to prevent the rubbing which I will try and do this week.. I love the look, and it sits great after I trimmed the rear springs but I wish the front sat about .2" higher.. that way I would not rub and my wife would nag me less. If I am able to modify the inner fender enough so it will not rub I will be alot happier. I wanted a good stance but still have no rubbing due to the constant trips we take in this car, thats why I went with the 1.8" drop with tein over the 2.0" sportlines. If I was on the sportlines the tire would be touching the inner fender while sitting still.. right now I have barely 1 finger gap between the top outside edge of the tire and the inner fender. The ride is pretty firm compared to stock but I do not believe it is due to the springs I used I believe it is because of the suspension setup. On my honda wagovan when I lowered it I also added extended tophates so the strut kept the stock travel while the car itself was lowered. This is not possible on the fit and when you install lowering springs, no matter what brand, the strut operates semi-compressed at all times. That is my logic on it but I could be wrong. I have had alot of lowered cars so take my opinion for what its worth. My daily driver sierra is lowered 5 inches front and 7 inches rear.

anyways onto a picture. this is the tein s-techs with the rears trimmed half a coil on the bottom side of the spring. also installed some GSR Blades let me know what you think.

Name:  PhotoGrid_1363986238044_zps42c5bd05.jpg
Views: 2668
Size:  398.0 KB

Last edited by maroon88iroc; 03-25-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Looking good!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
looks great. check out the fender liner tuck, should solve all your problems.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 AM
looks great. check out the fender liner tuck, should solve all your problems.
thanks for the help man! I am going to try that tonight and hope that cuts out alot of the rubbing issues I am having.

I also have noticed a little clunk in the front end, sounds like the spring is unloaded or that it is moving around on the seat. going to take a peak tonight and see if I can pinpoint the problem.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
looks good man! im on sportlines and i dont rub at all. im on stock gd wheels w/ 195/50's. the reason why your rubbing is the tire is to wide.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:27 AM
shook- thanks man! and I agree the tires are not Ideal but they are almost new so I'd like to make them work. Also these blades are .5" wider and I believe have a little more offset b/c the wheels sit closer to the fender than the stock wheels.

I tucked the fender liner in last night (see the pic below). I drilled a small hole on each side of the mounting holes in the fender liner, then I tucked the liner in behind the mounting tabs on the fender and zip tied them together. This was harder than it sounds because I wanted the bulky end of the zip tie on the topside of the liner so that it would not strike the tire. To do this I had to basically remove the whole fender liner and starting at the hole by the front bumper attach and tighten the zip tie then work my way back towards the door. After I got the liner secured I used a body hammer to "roll" the fender. A fender roller would have worked alot better but this did the job and didnt chip the paint except at a spot where the paint was already chipped. It feels like I have alot more room now but I havent driven it enough yet to see if I rubbed. I did do a couple u-turns both Right and Left and I didnt rub (I rubbed before doing this) so that makes me feel better. Its getting there! Going on another trip this weekend so I will be able to tell if what I did helped with the rubbing. also fixed the clunking issue I think.. sway bar end link was a little loose, barely loose but hopefully that fixed the issue. I didnt hear the noise driving to work this morning.

Name:  IMAG0456_zps81132434.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  59.7 KB

Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Just wanted to report back that 99.9% of the rubbing is gone after tucking the fender liner and rolling the lips in the front. Very happy with the setup now! Thanks everyone for your input and assistance!

Quick Reply: 07 fit sport lowered on Tein springs not happy with the rake