Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Cut rear springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Cut rear springs

Im running skunk 2 springs on my gd3. I love them, but want a little lower in rear. Anybody cut rears? I want level

Old 10-04-2010, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
If you do better get shocks because it will make it more bouncy.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
i didnt notice much difference in the rear when i had mine cut 2 coils.

but

Old 10-04-2010, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
That just sounds really ghetto. Why not switch up for coilover? or at least trade it for someone rear springs that is lower.

~Robert

Old 10-04-2010, 07:48 PM
It may sound ghetto, but it works and it has worked since before most of us were born (Except Dee, but he doesn't count LOL) I cut my Skunk2s 1 full coil in the rear and it sat dead level. I was on stock shocks and it was VERY firm, not bouncy, you will feel EVERY ripple in the pavement. I didn't mind it at all, and loved the way it looked, just be aware of what you are getting into. Also, 205-55 tires on stock wheels wont work with the rears cut, this I know now from experience. HTH

Old 10-04-2010, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
laosifu is a track guru though.

-for us BROKE people, it worked well enough.

and really the only rear spring thats lower then that is the eibach sportline rears.

nobody is going to give those up heh.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:50 PM
So you really did notice a difference in the ride quality after cutting 1 coil on the skunks? I would like a little lower in the rear (maybe 1/2 inch) and I really have no problem right now with the ride quality of the skunks-had them about 18 months. I'm just surprised they didnt make them level when they designed them. I can't really afford coilovers right now-these skunk springs are the most expensive mod so far on my ride and i wouldnt mind keepin it that way :-)

Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
It may sound ghetto, but it works and it has worked since before most of us were born (Except Dee, but he doesn't count LOL) I cut my Skunk2s 1 full coil in the rear and it sat dead level. I was on stock shocks and it was VERY firm, not bouncy, you will feel EVERY ripple in the pavement. I didn't mind it at all, and loved the way it looked, just be aware of what you are getting into. Also, 205-55 tires on stock wheels wont work with the rears cut, this I know now from experience. HTH

Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 PM
So one coil is dead level. That is what I needed. Ive Been cutting aftermarket springs on civics for years now, but the fit is no civic. Didn't want to cut a whole coil and be below the front. Im going to cut 1/2 coil after work. I still want staggered drop, but skunks rear is too high. Typically with skunks on civics one coil is equal to one inch lower. Ill try 1/2 coil for 1/2 inch. Someone let me know if 1/2 coil wont work.

My real honda runs skunk pro coilovers as well as every other suspension piece they make for the ej1. My fit is my daily, she will not get the treatment sweetheart gets. Fit gets used and put up wet. I keep her simple, yet cleanly modified. She looks good now and will stay clean.

Ghetto is cutting stock springs to lower. Giving You that famous honda bounce we so much hate on ricers.

Correct me if im wrong, but skunks are like in the 550_650 spring rate range. Cutting one whole coil at worse will lower that to 450 on the street should be plenty stiff on a straight axle rear?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Edit skunks are 350 spring rate. 550_650 came out my ass. Duh. Still dont know stock, but oh well

Will update once cut.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:33 PM
You'll feel it!

Originally Posted by red08fit
So you really did notice a difference in the ride quality after cutting 1 coil on the skunks? I would like a little lower in the rear (maybe 1/2 inch) and I really have no problem right now with the ride quality of the skunks-had them about 18 months. I'm just surprised they didnt make them level when they designed them. I can't really afford coilovers right now-these skunk springs are the most expensive mod so far on my ride and i wouldnt mind keepin it that way :-)
Yes you will notice the ride firms up a bit with the rears cut. I never bottomed out, even with them cut. One thing you will need to do is wrap the bottom two turns of the springs in heater hose. Reason being that will prevent the springs from rattling on the perches and driving you up the wall. I kept my stock rubber isolators top and bottom BTW.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Never cut springs last night, forgot grinder and sawsal got laughed at by the spring. Anyway I did flip my rears upright so skunk 2 is facing upright. Got About 1/4 inch out of that. Why does the sticky on this site tell you to install upside down. Can anybody clarify this for me?

Pumpkin, if I knew how to give rep you would get some. Good call on splitting heater hose. Good to find a real honda guy, not a fit freak. With love for honda not sensibility. Fit is just the 2000 era ef hatch, with four doors. Mini odyssey if you will.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Reason they tell you to mount them with the script upside down is that leaves the dead coils at the bottom of the spring, closest to the road. The weight of the car then collapses the live coils at the top of the spring and leaves the dead coils to absorb excess impact. I'm not remembering why they call them dead coils though, and I may have that 180 degrees out from truth, but hey..... I may flip mine and see what happens, I still have some wheel gap with the taller tires. To add rep, just click on the little scale icon in the top right corner of my posts and it will prompt you! +rep LOL

Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Cut 1/2 coil today (been bullshittin). Grinder was no problem as usual. Spring did not sit perfect on stock rubbers, but rubbers still got installed. Will be using pumpkins heater hose idea if i hear any kind of rattle.Have not drove yet, im hungry. Will be driving after food to set springs. I took pics before i cut, and will post before and after pics tomorrow? Thanx for all the input.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Okay so i cut 1/2 coil off the springs. Sits nice, little higher in rear but not as bad as skunk made them. Also added Progress rear bar. Noise is bothering me, but I have no rattle. I can hear springs flexing? Im calling skunk2 tomorrow and will try to get an answer out of them as to how the rear springs are supposed to be installed, upright or upside down. Will be adding Pumpkins idea of heater hose on springs anyway for added cushion. Pics of after cut measuring. Did not measure before cut

Front

Back

Under

Side

Last edited by Bthasht; 10-25-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
^ did you paint your rear sway bar red or did it come like that?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:35 AM
I painted the bar Milano Red then cleared it. Im a shiney lover, can be seen if you stand behind car