Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Conservative suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Conservative suspension mods

I got my 2013 Honda Fit sport with manual transmission 3 days ago.

Here is what happened:

I had 2012 Subaru STI, but I lusted for Mustang Boss 302, so I decided to sell my STI and buy the Mustang, lost a lot of money though.

I got myself a fun money saving small car, Honda Fit Sport!

My initial impression is, the Fit surprised me! I expected a boring small fuel saving car, but it is not boring!

Now here is what I need to do with it:
1) Get a set of 16 inch Enkei racing RPF1 wheels ( 13.7 Ib) with ExtremeContact DW(Max Performance Summer) tires ( 19 Ib) 205/50/16

Lighter and wider than stock!

2) Front Camber bolts to gain more negative camber to counteract the understeer

How much negative camber for street use and possibly some auto-crosses too?

3) Progress 19 mm rear sway bar to further fight the understeer in an attempt to neutralize the car handling

I am not intending to do springs, lowering the car or even coilovers, because it is my daily driver and I also have Mustang Boss 302 to take care of any enthusiast's needs.

What do you guys think? Is my list correct or am I missing something?

I appreciate your inputs

Thanks

Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 PM
We auto x or Fit monthly. 205 Dunlop Star Specs, -2.3 camber, Progress sway bar. Works just fine. We also have a 3.5 mile up and down dirt driveway.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Congrats on your new Fit and I'm also a Big Mustang guy I sold my 600hp Kennebell supercharged 2011 Mustang and got a 2012 Fit sport A/T

Sure I miss the Stang at times but I've had modded V8 Mustangs for the past 25 years or so and I can always build another one if I get the urge lol

You have some great mods in mind for the Fit and I've done the Swift springs,Progress rsb and 205 tires on the stock wheels.

I would also get the Swifts because they are perfect for this car and do not sacrifice comfort for the improved handling.The drop is very mild and they work perfect with stock dampers.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 PM
All looks good to me

As far as camber goes, just put as much as the camber bolts will allow, IIRC it is only ~1.5 degrees, which is fine for street as long as your toe is 0.

Like has been said Swift springs would be good, everyone says the ride is the same as stock and it's a very mild drop (~1"), also linear springs so even better. Would have got them myself except my Teins were a gift.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
It's sort of funny how there is a distinct set of "best practices" suspension mods for this car ... people are remarkably consistent in what they recommend

Which is nice, it makes things simple.
1) Enkei RFP1s
2) Swift springs
3) Continental tires (forget off the top of my head which ones)

I haven't done any of this but certainly Swift springs are on my wish list .. if I can ever justify the spend and the drop .. definitely had some scraping on the snow this winter .. which probably means I never will go lower than stock .. :/

Old 03-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Here is what happened today

I came off the highway through a curvy ramp and in the middle of ramp I started understeering so I lift off throttle and my front end gripped due to weight transfer and I ended up losing the rear end, hence I entered in a state of oversteer, I immediately counter steer and saved myself.

This was very scary! I did not expect that Fit would do that!

Thank God nothing bad happened, but I have to admit I entered the ramp hot.

After this incident, I started considering the following

1) If I stiffen the rear by adding progress sway bar, won't this make the car more tail happy?? Hence exaggerate the above scenario?

2) If I add more negative camber to the front, won't this make the above incident easier to happen?

3) Won't stickier wider tires and lighter wheels ( as mentioned in my first post) be the best thing to do?

4) Won't having stiff springs and may be lower car make everything more controlled and minimize the front/Rear and left/right weight transfer as well as lower the center of gravity, therefore turning our Fit to a civilized go kart?

Needless to say, how bad I feel to even try to push the car to its limits on public roads, even though that happened this Sunday morning at 7 AM where no one was there, however this should not happen at public roads.

I am glad to hear your inputs

Old 03-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Never just lift of the throttle. If your at 70% throttle and you oversteer just back off a little. What you did was create a situation where the front of the car was moving slower and had more grip than the back of the car. Don't forget that the fit is light in the rear and it leans like a SOB on stock springs.

Last edited by krunk13; 03-24-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 PM
The first thing you need to do is ditch the stock tires. Get some tires that perform decently.

Worry about everything else later. You can get wheels if you want, but not necessary. Learn to drive the car stock with decent tires first before you start messing with everything under the sun. You will see tires make a night and day difference.

Next time, don't let off completely when understeering unless you're trying to pitch the back end out.

Turn, lift, counter, throttle

Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 PM
DK does it

Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Conservative suspension mods.. when you contact the manufacturer make sure they support "traditional" marriage, defense contractors and pro-life policies?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by krunk13
DK does it
Feint left, right, throttle, counter, modulate?

Not quite the same in Fit but AccordGuyIntake has similar moves I saw on here

Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Feint left, right, throttle, counter, modulate?

Not quite the same in Fit but AccordGuyIntake has similar moves I saw on here
it was a joke

Old 03-25-2013, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member

Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rabee
4) Won't having stiff springs and may be lower car make everything more controlled and minimize the front/Rear and left/right weight transfer as well as lower the center of gravity, therefore turning our Fit to a civilized go kart?
YES.

As most people have hit the high points already ( Continental 205 DW, light wheels, rear sway bar) I will further stress this:
Originally Posted by zilla8
I would also get the Swifts because they are perfect for this car and do not sacrifice comfort for the improved handling.The drop is very mild and they work perfect with stock dampers.
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
All looks good to me

As far as camber goes, just put as much as the camber bolts will allow, IIRC it is only ~1.5 degrees, which is fine for street as long as your toe is 0.

Like has been said Swift springs would be good, everyone says the ride is the same as stock and it's a very mild drop (~1"), also linear springs so even better.
Best $ for performance modification after wider sticky tires and light weigh wheels.

Make sure to re align to above spec (at least -1.5 camber and 0 toe) after spring install with the help of one set of camber bolts.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wafulz

Fixed

His videos after it's boosted with skinny rear tires, especially the one at a drift event is even better

Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 PM
^^^
That wasn't a half-bad assdrag there someone should .gif that.

Originally Posted by krunk13
it was a joke
I took the F&F .gif serious

Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Never take anything F&F serious..... especially on a honda forum. CAUSE I NEVER NARC'D ON NOBODY.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Disrespected my family

Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 PM
lol you got it^^^

Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Trust me the difference is night and day once you do the tires,Swifts,RSB

also you really have to get to know the characteristics of these fwd cars and how they react.I found all the limits of my Fit within the first few days of owning it

Quick Reply: Conservative suspension mods