Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

The Darkside of Adjustable Coil-overs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
The Darkside of Adjustable Coil-overs.

Here are a few things I wish I had known about coil-overs prior to purchasing them and installing them:

1.) No matter what anyone says, your ride will get stiffer...A LOT stiffer.

2.) They will make loud noises over even the smallest of road imperfections.

3.) Every rattle your car ever had will become amplified by the power of one million.

4.) Road noise; Your tires will become much louder. Stock suspension has something (rubber bushings? idk) that quiets the songs of the tire's native lands.

5.) When lowered even slightly the steering will become affected. (obviously because the geometry is not at oem spec.) I noticed with the modest drop that the steering has become substantially heavier and less linear at all speeds.

Now in all fairness, I didn't purchase a terribly expensive kit (T1R Basics). However. From what I've recently found out from quizzing owners of more pricy kits is that they all have the same vices.

NOW with all that being said.

Do I regret them? NO

I love the improvement in handling. I love the way the car looks.
I am not a teenager anymore so I opted to keep them as high as possible(without going too high to limit shock travel) (which is still a little too low for my taste).

The ride is still bouncy and as rough as before but the rear doesn't squat down as much...that was what made it feel like my spine was being compressed to oblivion with the stock setup.

Just wanted to put this out there. Seems everyone is always raving about coil-overs and how they are "better" than lowering springs. I'm not saying either is really better or worse; just understand that they both have their limitations.

Last edited by GoFits; 12-17-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:33 PM
+1

very well said!! You didnt mention durability though

Old 12-17-2013, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Anytime u alter a vehicle from OEM it is no longer gonna be the same. Its not just coilovers. Springs do the same. The spring rates are always stiffer.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Spring rates have to be increased well ... when we are talking about lowering springs, to prevent the shocks or whole setup from bottoming out.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Not all coilovers are created equal. Not all of them are significantly stiffer!!

Go read some reviews on various coilovers when shopping! Find ones that meet or exceed your needs!!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:13 PM
I literally laughed out loud at some of that on my balcony. Now my neighbors are looking at me, thanks. Even if you weren't trying to be funny.

T1R basic sitting high are probably pretty soft, so I'm surprised at this. Must be the dampers. Was thinking about getting this kit but will probably go with Bilstein now.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Dampers are magic when it comes to coils.

My friend is on RSR coils with no dampers and I swear they're smooth and he's lower than me. My Apex'i is shit compared to RSR,

Lastly, the size of the tires makes a difference too. I have low pros (205/40/17) and it makes the ride harsher than when I'm on 15s with 195/55 tires.

Just things I've noticed myself

Old 12-17-2013, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I literally laughed out loud at some of that on my balcony. Now my neighbors are looking at me, thanks. Even if you weren't trying to be funny.

T1R basic sitting high are probably pretty soft, so I'm surprised at this. Must be the dampers. Was thinking about getting this kit but will probably go with Bilstein now.
I would imagine everyone has their own opinion of what soft, firm, and stiff are as well.

I'm not saying the T1R is a bad kit. Some have been giving it excellent reviews. I've taken rides in quite a few cars with lowering springs and a variety of coil-overs and they all have similar changes in ride characteristics.

I'm just happy I could be entertaining.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
Dampers are magic when it comes to coils.

My friend is on RSR coils with no dampers and I swear they're smooth and he's lower than me. My Apex'i is shit compared to RSR,

Lastly, the size of the tires makes a difference too. I have low pros (205/40/17) and it makes the ride harsher than when I'm on 15s with 195/55 tires.

Just things I've noticed myself
How does he not have any "dampers?" Are you referring to something other than the shock tubes?

Currently on my winter set. 185/65-14 so they are fairly soft. (General Altimax Arctic) Mounted on BMW Bottlecaps they are fairly light (14.8lbs) considering how beefy they are.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoFits
How does he not have any "dampers?" Are you referring to something other than the shock tubes?

Currently on my winter set. 185/65-14 so they are fairly soft. (General Altimax Arctic) Mounted on BMW Bottlecaps they are fairly light (14.8lbs) considering how beefy they are.
I meant adjusting the dampers. My coils are pretty harsh, but that's the setup I wanted it to be. Before, it wasn't as harsh because it wasn't "slammed" and the damper setting was just right.

Nowadays, being slammed, damper be damned soft or hard; it's just always hard.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
After years of tuning cars this is why I don't run coil overs on the street anymore. You should add to the list they are a lot of maintenance too. Every time you make an adjustment an alignment/corner weighing needs to be done. That's a lot of work for a street car. Even though I can do my own alignments in my drive way, the loss of ride quality isn't worth it.

I have Eibach springs in my car, and my car handles fantastic with little loss of ride quality. Ok so I have more than just springs (sway-bar, braces...), but that's my point; you can still have a great handling car and the ride without going to coil-overs.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.

This x a trillion.

Your issue is cheaping out on low quality coilovers, not the entire range of coilovers.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
This x a trillion.

Your issue is cheaping out on low quality coilovers, not the entire range of coilovers.
I could have spent a grand more and still have all the same issues. These problems aren't exclusive to "low quality" coilovers.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
I kind of agree with Mike. If you got some rsr or hks coils, you might change your mind

Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoFits
I could have spent a grand more and still have all the same issues. These problems aren't exclusive to "low quality" coilovers.
How do you know, have you tested this 1.6-2k coilovers? (IE KW/HKS)

Old 12-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Always wondered why hks and mugens were 2-3k. Now I know.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Yea, just ask thevileone lol

Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Too bad hes gone missing

Old 12-19-2013, 06:13 AM
Is he gonna be restored someday.?

Tevida Side Effects

Last edited by RenatoAubert; 10-01-2018 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 AM
I bet well see him this summer. his Flickr is still active

Quick Reply: The Darkside of Adjustable Coil-overs.