Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Skunk2 Lower springs- NOT for 15" rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs down Skunk2 Lower springs- NOT for 15" rims

This is my personal opinion. I realize that many members of this list have these springs and are happy with them, but I wish someone had told me the following before I bought and installed the Skunk2 Lowering Springs.

I have a '07 Fit Sport. The stock Honda Alloy rims have Yokohama AVID V4S 205/55/15 tires mounted on them. If I had to do this over again I would NOT buy these springs because:

a. The wheels rub on the fender when turned tightly.
b. The bottom of my car scraps when driving at slow speeds over dips or driveways. I even raised the air presure to 39 pounds to raise the car up as much as possible.
c. There is a big difference between Firm and Harsh and the ride over any surface other than a very smooth road is Very Harsh! At times it is jarring because there is very little movement, suspension with these springs. You are bounced around real good on bad roads.

Unfortunately, the roads I drive are not smooth and these springs transmit all road varitions thru the car.

The lowered spring gives the car a nice look when parked, it's just terrible when you are driving with them.

If you have 15" rims and don't drive on the track these are NOT the springs for you IMHO

Old 10-20-2006, 02:29 PM
mwr
5 Year Member
Why would 15" wheel make a difference? Seems like it would be a problem no matter what diameter wheel you use, since you will usually end up with a similar o.d.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
I can only talk about my experience with my rims and tires. I agree with you and I was surprised no one else has written about having any problems. my springs were professionally installed so I don't understand why my fit does NOT have the "Extra Smooth Ride" that Skunk2 advertises.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the review.
I'm holding out for the swift springs they only drop 1".
Hopefully they won't rub.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Jo2
Originally Posted by mwr
Why would 15" wheel make a difference? Seems like it would be a problem no matter what diameter wheel you use, since you will usually end up with a similar o.d.
in short, wheel size has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's the wheel offset that's the problem. A couple of solutions would be to roll the fenders, or to run a tire with more of a narrow width.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:15 AM
mwr
5 Year Member
Seems hard to blame the offset of the stock wheels.. The wider tire explains the rubbing while turning, but not the harsh ride or dragging over speed bumps.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:45 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
i like how it is...yeah the ride is more stiff, but when changing springs this happens...i would say that you should get the tanabe GF210s if you want a better overall ride plus a an aggressive stance...i want to see how it will be with 15x7 with a +40 offset when i get the money to buy rims, but for i am happy with them...it does look lower then what they say it drops...1.5 inch front 1 inch rear, looks lower... i like it, but my friends that sit in the back seat dont

Last edited by Paulo107; 10-21-2006 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
the reason why i is harsher is b/c it is a linear spring and not progressive like the tanabe's. That was the only reason why i did not go for the skunk 2's and went for the tanabe gf210's. They have the same drop and stance as the skunk 2 but they are progressive (means that during regular driving it feels like a normal spring but when u get on the freeway or drive the car hard, the springs stiffen up and give u a stiffer ride) plus progressives are safe to use w/ stock shocks.

If you want a nice drop get the gf210's. If you want a little bit smoother ride but don't want a huge drop go for the df210's. If you want ur car SLAMMED then get the nf210's (when they come out).

Old 10-23-2006, 03:13 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
you said you have 205/55/15 tires on your wheels. isn't that a different overall diameter from the stock tires? so that could be another reason for the rubbing. Also, your speedo readings could be inaccurate.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb Your correct

Originally Posted by doctordoom
you said you have 205/55/15 tires on your wheels. isn't that a different overall diameter from the stock tires? so that could be another reason for the rubbing. Also, your speedo readings could be inaccurate.
Answer: Yes, Yes

Old 10-23-2006, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
I drive a sport stock. It still hits the pavement all the time. So let me get this straight, you lowered a car... and didn't expect to be hitting the pavement all the time?

Old 10-23-2006, 09:31 AM
I can't speak for the ride quality, but going one size larger on the tire (from a 195 to a 205) probably contributes to your running issue. I got on the same 205/55r15 size on the stock 15in wheels and it's NOT dropped. I noticed the turning clearance and fender clearance are pretty tight! I think if you went with the stock size again, your rubbing problem should be solved, but it would still ride harsh... hope you figure it out. good luck

Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks all for the non-progresive info.

I haven't realize. Now As much as they are fair in price, and have a good name, they won't be for me since the roads here are PRETTY BAD.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
lower ur tyre pressure..increasing it will just make ur car even more bouncy.

a to c as menitoned by u is essentially wat u'll come to expect from lowering ur car. if it isnt wat u've prepared for..u shudnt even consider lowering the fit.

mind u ..i dun even think the Skunk2 springs are low at all

Old 10-23-2006, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Skunk2 advertising copy describes their lowering springs for the '07 Fit" as delivering:

* SUPERIOR HANDLING
* AGGRESSIVE STANCE
* EXTRA SMOOTH RIDE

Skunk2's three design objectives (see above) , is what created my expectations. My experience is that Skunk2's springs FAIL to deliver Skunk2 design criteria.

Skunk2 claims "EXTRA SMOOTH RIDE" is only true if you are traveling on an extra smooth road, and then it really doesn't matter what springs you are using.

The 205/55/15 tire size should not be what is causing the harsh and sometimes jarring ride. I asked the party I purchased the springs from if my tires would cause a problem with rubbing and I was told that there was plenty of room, and there would not be any rubbing.

The spring rates are just way too stiff for this car, and the drop does not allow the tire to travel in the wheel well. I feel that the springs are poorly engineered for driving on normal roads.

I purchased the springs based on Skunks advertising of how they would effect my Fits suspension.

Has anyone installed these springs and felt that the resulting ride is "Extra Smooth"?

Old 10-24-2006, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by dave92029
Skunk2 advertising copy describes their lowering springs for the '07 Fit" as delivering:

* SUPERIOR HANDLING
* AGGRESSIVE STANCE
* EXTRA SMOOTH RIDE

Skunk2's three design objectives (see above) , is what created my expectations. My experience is that Skunk2's springs FAIL to deliver Skunk2 design criteria.

Skunk2 claims "EXTRA SMOOTH RIDE" is only true if you are traveling on an extra smooth road, and then it really doesn't matter what springs you are using.

The 205/55/15 tire size should not be what is causing the harsh and sometimes jarring ride. I asked the party I purchased the springs from if my tires would cause a problem with rubbing and I was told that there was plenty of room, and there would not be any rubbing.

The spring rates are just way too stiff for this car, and the drop does not allow the tire to travel in the wheel well. I feel that the springs are poorly engineered for driving on normal roads.

I purchased the springs based on Skunks advertising of how they would effect my Fits suspension.

Has anyone installed these springs and felt that the resulting ride is "Extra Smooth"?
by increasing the tire size, you increased the circumfrence by 1.3inches and the diameter by .5in. Should be no problem with the stock ride height. It's obvious that your setup w/ the Skunk springs rub as you're indicating that it does. The tires won't cause the stiff/jarring ride..that's all springs...
there's no way that the installers mixed up the springs when installing right? they matched them up before installing right?

Old 10-24-2006, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dave92029

* SUPERIOR HANDLING
* AGGRESSIVE STANCE
* EXTRA SMOOTH RIDE

Ride quality is pretty subjective....It you ride around in a covered wagon all day then hop into a Fit with 19" rims and cut springs you'd probably feel like you're riding on a marshmallow.....

But the larger tires are going to be the source of the rubbing...

P.S- What did you expect? Skunk2 wouldn't sell any springs if they advertised them as "EXTRA SHITE RIDE".

Last edited by GoFits; 10-24-2006 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:25 PM
do you have any pics of your car with the springs on?

Old 10-24-2006, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Harry_Fit
do you have any pics of your car with the springs on?
These were taken at the shop were they were installed by the installer:

http://jack-the-cat.smugmug.com/gall...75/1/105127415

Old 10-24-2006, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Try some coil spring spacers, say 1/4-1/2" on top & bottom of each spring.

Quick Reply: Skunk2 Lower springs- NOT for 15" rims