Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

I heard that rota rims are no good from a tuner shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:56 PM
I heard that rota rims are no good from a tuner shop

I am just wondering I was looking at getting either Work rims or Rota rims I live in calgary and was talking to a reputible shop about rims and they said that the Rota rims are not that great at all, they pretty said that they are garbage and dont hold up like rims such as Work rims, and also that the paint comes off of the the wheels I am just wondering if this is true and what is your feedback on your rota rims. Also I was looking at either 15"-or 16" what do you think suits a lowered fit best.

Thank you:

Mark

Old 06-07-2007, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
sounds to me like that shop is full of shit and wants you to overspend on wheels.

Rotas work just fine,I have never heard of any paint coming off.IMO paint on those Rota wheels hold up better than OEM Honda paint,haha.

Dont know what he means by "holding up",but all wheels are destructable.Just depends on you on how much money you want to spend on it.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
haha they've been good to me???? that shop may be lying??? lol like sam21 said, prob wants you to over spend???? If you like the style then buy them, if not and you want baller points, spend the money

Old 06-07-2007, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
Rotas are pretty cheap and quality are decent, and I think they are not as bad as the shop says they are.

But then again, they are replicas.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:23 AM
yeah that is what this guy was saying that they are made in the phillpens compared to Work from Japan but I like the look of the Work Emotion CR KAI but I also like the look of a few of the Rota wheels such as the slipstream, plus when I said that I am looking at either 15" or 16" he was pretty much making fun that I was even looking at 15"

Old 06-07-2007, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grandam
yeah that is what this guy was saying that they are made in the phillpens compared to Work from Japan but I like the look of the Work Emotion CR KAI but I also like the look of a few of the Rota wheels such as the slipstream, plus when I said that I am looking at either 15" or 16" he was pretty much making fun that I was even looking at 15"

yea i jus got mine for temp wheels, getting some baller rims later. why are you thinking about getting 15's!? thats weak! get 26's! haha jk

Old 06-07-2007, 04:13 AM
I am just wondering I was looking at getting either Work rims or Rota rims I live in calgary and was talking to a reputible shop about rims and they said that the Rota rims are not that great at all, they pretty said that they are garbage and dont hold up like rims such as Work rims, and also that the paint comes off of the the wheels I am just wondering if this is true and what is your feedback on your rota rims. Also I was looking at either 15"-or 16" what do you think suits a lowered fit best.

Thank you:

Mark
If you are a baller rotas are garbage, but if you are just an average joe rotas are alright to use. if you just use it for everyday driving it's fine but once you do hard racing with them, they dont really hold up as well as other wheels, I've seen some pictures of rotas with spokes sheared off the hub because there was so much load on it. light racing is fine though. Not all wheels are made the same, the big baller wheels are forged as compared to rotas they are casted, so the forged wheels can handle more load. but to the average joe we dont really race or do anything crazy enough to put enough load on a wheel to destroy it. overall they are good wheels for their price

Old 06-07-2007, 05:35 AM
5 Year Member
I have seen BIG horsepower cars running rotas, particularly the Spoon replica slipstream wheels.

Digging around on the internet showed that Rota had some problems with some 'attack' model rims cracking and they were recalled. That may be the source of the bad rep.

One anti-Rota thread lists lots of broken wheel brand experiences:
5zigen,work,weds, racing hart, rays, OZ, Piaa, SSR, with pictures of broken Advans, Work Meister, etc.

Sounds like you can crack anything.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:51 AM
I've had several high end wheels such as HRE etc. I've also owned rotas and found that there is no problem with them. I put the Slips on my S in 16x7 and 16x8 with no problems. Now as far as wheels being copies almost everything nowadays is a copy for example...SSR SP1s that everyone loves and says this is a great multipiece wheel blah blah blah is a damn copy......

My advice, go to another shop.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Retired Moderator
My guess is that you hit up Tunerworks. They deal with high end cars and parts and don't like cheaper brands. The Enkei's I ended up getting from them were basically the cheapest thing you could get. If you want to get some Rota's go talk to JDMish and Honda West.

Honestly, I think Tunerworks is one of the very few shops in Calgary that is trustworthy. They are never out to screw you, they just tell you what they think. They deal with BMW's, Merc's, Audi's etc. and on the odd occasion Lambo's and other high end cars. They are not interested in anything cheap and only sell top quality parts. Just go check out Bobby's STi...it is SICK!

Old 06-07-2007, 10:28 AM
I was also wondering which looked better on a lower fit: 15s or 16s?

Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 AM
last local carshow i went to most are rockin Rotas... Rotas i'd say are affordable, lightweight and reliable plus its got the respect of tuners ey man watever works for u, its all good... if i had the cashflow i would not hesitate to spend alot for my baby

Last edited by sirhc; 06-07-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
Some Enkeis are also manufactured in the Philippines. They have a plant there but does not sell to the local market.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:21 PM
i have a ROTA JSPL on my fit since 4/18/06(one of the lucky early fit owners )and i never had problems,its 15 x 6.5,offsett is +38,and its only 12 LBS,I got them last year for $ 380 shipped.If budget is not an issue get what makes you happy,if budget is an issue ROTAS are not bad for daily driver,heres some pictures.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:31 PM

Old 06-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Retired Moderator
[quote=boyetssilverfit;146715]i have a ROTA JSPL on my fit since 4/18/06(one of the lucky early fit owners )...quote]

nice you took delivery of your Fit on my birthday I took delivery of mine a week after...

Old 06-07-2007, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by boyetssilverfit
So tell me, pleaase, where or rather from what company did you buy them from?? Wesite? email address? etc. Thanx!!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by fittmann
So tell me, pleaase, where or rather from what company did you buy them from?? Wesite? email address? etc. Thanx!!
its www.racinglab.com,its more than a year since i bought it so definitely youre not gonna get it at the price when i bought them,plus i got them on limited time special deals that their giving,be patient on shopping & good luck.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
I have Rota's on my WRX and and had them on a Civic Si and they are fine....light, strong and inexpensive. I never had them fail and I live on some rough New England roads. The finish is not the greatest however but there must be a sacrifice somewhere to get the cost down.....

Old 06-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Banned
plus when I said that I am looking at either 15" or 16" he was pretty much making fun that I was even looking at 15"

That right there, I would have either walked out or opened a can of well...You know.

To be honest, I was going to with Rota's but ended up with the Work wheels just because I am weird and like the real thing. But in hindsight, the Rota's would have been just fine.

As for 15's...Less rotational mass and lighter wheel. You be the judge on which is better depending on your needs. Also a more aggressive tire and a drop really fills in the fender well's.

Good luck but bail from that shop.

Kris

Quick Reply: I heard that rota rims are no good from a tuner shop