Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

TIRE questions,sizes, mounting,pressures ANY tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Don't forget that heating up during driving is factored into the sidewall rating. In other words if a tire says 51 on the sidewall and it can really take a lot more than 51 lbs. Don't think the tire will pop either, a tiny bicycle tire can take 110 psi.

40 psi is perfectly safe, handles better (stiffer sidewalls), provides better mpg (lower rolling resistance), and wears more slowly (higher pressure tires run cooler as the tire has less heat producing flex - the heat is what makes a tire wear out faster).

The only drawback is a harsher ride.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
I was using 38 up front and 36 in the back. I put them to 32 all-around, and enjoy the ride much better now.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:48 PM
I have 40 all around now. I think it will be fine.

As I said earlier I ran for over 600 miles with 51PSI all around. Nothing bad besides getting my first tank at 38mpg. (I have filled up more than once just this was the first tank that I reached the beloved 38mpg.)

Old 05-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Dunlop Direzza (sp?) 195-55-15.. awesome tire

-joe

Old 05-24-2006, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys,
I already bought a set of proxes 4. Will tell you
how they perform as soon as I get my Fit and my
lugnuts.

BTW Dougie, white on white is awsome, you realy know how to build a car...
How is the ride that low ??? I'm waiting on Megan Racing coilover, maybe next
month or so...

Philippe

Last edited by phil_qc; 05-24-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
BTW Dougie, white on white is awsome, you realy know how to build a car...
How is the ride that low ??? I'm waiting on Megan Racing coilover, maybe next
month or so...
Ride is good. Still trying to dial in spring rates with the spring purge setting... Once I get them locked in it will be even more deadly in the turns

Old 05-25-2006, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
I just read somewhere a "rule of thumb" for setting the best pressure for gas milage vs. wear vs. safety: half way between the maximum recommended cold pressure (32 PSI for Fit) and the maximum safe pressure (51 PSI as marked on tire - may be different for some tires - I think that is a number used when installing the tire on the rim.) That calculates to be 42 PSI COLD. There is also the term: "Maximum Permissible Inflation" that some manufacturers spec which is different from that 51 PSI number.

I have also heard a good test is to check cold pressure against hot (after 10 miles or so driving) if there is about a 5 PSI rise that is good. any more or less means you need to reset the cold pressure. Searching the internet on tire pressure questions is lots of fun. Everybody says under-inflation is worst! Check this site:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=73

HOWEVER - all of this is not a proven rule and if you blow a tire or anything it is not my fault!!!!!!! Follow the Honda Way ;-)

BTW, Did you read your Fit manual or stickers enough to notice that the MAXIMUM LOAD is actually 850 Lbs? That is passengers and cargo combined, total. So 5 big guys and a couple of full kegs is way too much - even if they fit!

As they say, YMMV (Your Milage May Vary...)

Old 05-25-2006, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
To all those who posted that they run their tires over 40 PSI, reset them to a lower pressure!

A too high tire pressure will cause premature wear down the center of the thread.

Car makers post the tire pressure on the car (usually on door frame) for a reason. They have done the testing for you with much better expertise than you think you have.

Follow the recommended tire pressure people. Check them cold and often.

Do scheduled tire rotation also.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by Virtual
A too high tire pressure will cause premature wear down the center of the thread.
Actually the center does not wear any faster - the edges just wear slower. It also depends on the vehicle. I run 40 psi and I have pretty even wear - I take care of the sides in other ways.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
stock rims weight

Can anyone tell me please the stock rims weight?

If I would change the stock rims will do it only for a really light ones, so I need the info for comparo. And for the size......well 16's the most that I would say. Big rims are pretty, but the beauty of this baby (fit) is the handling............

Old 05-26-2006, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DRum
Actually the center does not wear any faster - the edges just wear slower. It also depends on the vehicle. I run 40 psi and I have pretty even wear - I take care of the sides in other ways.
So... Basically you're saying that you know better than the Honda engineers. I don't think so.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't think he's saying he knows better than Honda engineers. I doubt they individually test each car for proper tire pressure guildelines. They most likely use the same psi guildelines that have been around for decades and are quite out of date imho.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
I don't want to start a war here but I have my experience w/ overinflate
tire by not that much and yes it does worn the middle of the tires. On my CR-V, it was 29 PSI, ran 34 and the center is cupped. Same thing w/ my Civic, but only in front... Yes I know, I like front tires w/ more PSI...
What Honda recomend is a mix of MPG/road handling/confort/security.

Now do what you want but don't tell me it's better than what Honda
recoment please.

Philippe

Old 05-26-2006, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Tire pressure -- does it affect road noise?

My mechanic said the softer tires tend to make less noise, but of course won't hold up as well. Anyone know how the air pressure affects the tires' noise on the road surface? I was also told that most of the Fit's road noise is due to the alloy wheels.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
So... Basically you're saying that you know better than the Honda engineers. I don't think so.
First of all the engineers don't make all the decisions. Many are made by marketing, and they probably don't want a harsh ride. Building cars is also about compromise, and Honda does not want to compromise the ride.

Secondly, the engineers never said it was dangerous to run at 40 psi. There is just a reccomendation for 32 or whatever.

Third. All tires are different. Some take higher pressure and others don't. If your tire says 35 psi max on the sidewall , then don't inflate it past 35.

And finaly, I said nothing about my level of knowledge vs anybody elses. I do know that the more you think you know, the less you probably do, and the more you do know, the more you realize there is to know.

Also, keep in mind that the latest problems with bad tires revolved around underinflation. Remember Firestone and the Explorer? Ford has engineers too (more than Honda probably) and they made that horrible mistake because they wanted the ride to be soft to make up for the truck suspension.

Underinflation is what kills tires. As a tire rotates it is constantly going from compressed (the part touching the road) to uncompressed (the part not touching the road). If the tire is underinflated this movement is greater - thus producing more heat. More pressure (within the design limits of the tire - remember the automobile engineers are not tire engineers) means less movement and less heat. This means the tires last longer.

Another thing to remember. Engineers always work with a factor of safety. So if there is a working load, the maximum load is always much higher.

I welcome any logical explination for the dangers of 40 psi in a tire that is designed for 51.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
there are so many things that go into picking the OEM tire on cars and so many variants. i will always run what the car specifies.

I co-op'ed with honda and I am no expert in the field but there are so many natural frequencies and harmonics that go into play picking the tire and what not.

if you hit the right frequency you it will resonate through the body of the vehicle.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Someone that Posts too much
This might be a question tirerack rep should answer.

In fact this thread is in the wrong forum.

Old 05-27-2006, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
btw for your information the ford explorer vs firestone thinge

firestone wasn't at fault but it was the scape goat for Ford. there were just as many if not more deaths with the various tires that they replaces the firestones with.

I will explain to you where the problem was. as soon as the tire failed, (not only firestone tires failed) the explorer entered into an oversteer type of situation.

Cars designed in the US are designed to understeer, yes there is a mathematical way to calculate understeer. Ford designed their explorer closer to neutral steer than most other SUVs in order for it to handle like more like a car.

well the problem came in Ford's design, since they were close to neutral steer the de-treading put the car into an oversteer situation, other SUV's still remained slightly understeer.

most fatalities if i remember right were when the right rear tire blew out this was because once the driver felt the de treading they tend to pull over to the left. but since the SUV would now tend to oversteer so the inexperienced driver would fishtail back and forth until ultimately rolling it over.

/off topic

Old 05-27-2006, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
If Honda Engineers have picked the right inflation and tire for the fit why can we select two different sizes. Base and sport sizes. Actually three with the 16 inch Honda accessory wheels. Wouldn't this indicate one tire that is best and two compromises? Which one is the best and which two are the compromises? I agree with the guy that says the tire selection and pressure specs are a compromise. Many factors are invovled. If the very best tires were picked it might make the cost go up and final say could go to an accountant. This may also be why NA Fits are different from JDM Fits and Fits in other parts of the world. Pressure is up to the owner and whatever he wants to run. Safety should be your first concern, with MPG and tire wear second.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by moeye
Nitrogen is overrated. It's better than air just because it has no water in it (which is the biggest factor in pressure change due to temperature). The only application that really need to use it is on racecars where a quarter PSI can really make a difference on a long circuit.

I stay with the cheap route and just keeping checking the pressures, and keeping them a little higher than recommended to save gas and more even wear (with my kind of driving).
well, if over rated is +2-3 MPG,increased tire wear, and perfect tire PSI, then OK over rate me,bring it on!

Quick Reply: TIRE questions,sizes, mounting,pressures ANY tire questions