Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Resetting TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 PM
tin
5 Year Member
Resetting TPMS?

I have an 08 Sport Fit, and just got a set of spare 08 Sport Fit wheels, is it possible to reset the TPMS in the new wheels to work with my car? In other words, if my rims got messed up somehow and I put on my spare set, can I drive it to Honda and ask them to make TPMS work?

Old 06-30-2008, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Cant see why the dealer cannot do that. I think though that only 1 set can be reset at a time. Curious so do you know how 2 sets of sport wheels and tires, and both with a full set of sensors? Would be interesting to try and swap one over at a time and see what happens.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 PM
tin
5 Year Member
Yea, I have two sets. I only wanted one for a full size spare, but who sells just one of their wheels? And to buy one new from Honda would have been $600+, so my second set was less than the price of one wheel from Honda.

Was hoping to sell the other three, but seems there is little interest in the sale section. So now I figure I'll just keep all of them and use them if I curb, mess up a rim on a pothole, or when my current tires are worn. That's why I wanted to know about resetting the TPMS to another set of wheels.

I read on the forums somewhere that if you have the car off (with no TPMS light) and remove the wheels and put them somewhere far away the TPMS light will not go on. If this is the case, I should be able to swap them one at a time with no problem.

Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
Cant see why the dealer cannot do that. I think though that only 1 set can be reset at a time. Curious so do you know how 2 sets of sport wheels and tires, and both with a full set of sensors? Would be interesting to try and swap one over at a time and see what happens.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned
This has got to be the most annoying subject on this board. You don't need to take the car to the dealership to have the sensors "reset" all you do is let the car run, and if that doesn't pick it up, go for a mile or 2 drive. This is all the dealership is going to do for you and they're going to charge you your left testicle to do it.

Do a search for TPMS and I guarantee this has been answered.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yeamans17
This has got to be the most annoying subject on this board. You don't need to take the car to the dealership to have the sensors "reset" all you do is let the car run, and if that doesn't pick it up, go for a mile or 2 drive. This is all the dealership is going to do for you and they're going to charge you your left testicle to do it.

it is very annoying indeed. I think you are the only person so far though that has said they dont need to be reset. You are just talking about swapping them over though right? What about a new set of sensors? Those do need to be reset, or whatever you call it, is that correct?

Old 06-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned
They indeed to not need to be reset, as a former Acura tech, these are the same style sensors ran on them. All the Honda/Acura techs are doing is the swapping them in and driving them til the light goes away.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Thats funny... i had to take my 08 sport back to the dealer twice right after i bought it because the car had some issue with the fact that the sensors in the rims had been removed from the car, reinstalled into stock rims and put back on the car. My car didnt like it and i had to have the dealer use "their tool" to tell my car to "relearn" the sensors. After the second time it finally took and i havent had a problem since. I doubt the car will just fix itself by driving around. I drove my car around for over a week both times the light came on and the TPMS light never went off until after i took it to the dealer.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Sloto200
Thats funny... i had to take my 08 sport back to the dealer twice right after i bought it because the car had some issue with the fact that the sensors in the rims had been removed from the car, reinstalled into stock rims and put back on the car. My car didnt like it and i had to have the dealer use "their tool" to tell my car to "relearn" the sensors. After the second time it finally took and i havent had a problem since. I doubt the car will just fix itself by driving around. I drove my car around for over a week both times the light came on and the TPMS light never went off until after i took it to the dealer.

Theirs a possibility that there was an issue with the sensors themselves. THERE IS NO TOOL at the dealership for "learning" the TPMS sensors. I know I used to do it for a living. Theres a possibility that they replaced your sensors, but theres no tool to fix it.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Theirs a possibility that there was an issue with the sensors themselves. THERE IS NO TOOL at the dealership for "learning" the TPMS sensors. I know I used to do it for a living. Theres a possibility that they replaced your sensors, but theres no tool to fix it.
i work at a chevy dealership and there is a tool that we use. we have been doing them since '99 or so.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:40 PM
tin
5 Year Member
I've also never heard of this being a non-issue. But I have read other folks saying even doing a rotation requires a "reset" by the dealer. I'll give this a try when I get a chance. It would be great if that's the case, it's how the system SHOULD be designed.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Previc93
i work at a chevy dealership and there is a tool that we use. we have been doing them since '99 or so.
If that were applicable to the discussion I may have given you a + rep, however we're talking about the TPMS sensors on a Fit, not a Cavalier.

Originally Posted by tin
I've also never heard of this being a non-issue. But I have read other folks saying even doing a rotation requires a "reset" by the dealer. I'll give this a try when I get a chance. It would be great if that's the case, it's how the system SHOULD be designed.
Please try it and see what happens, and report back and maybe some people will understand how simple it is.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
yeamans17 I am not doubting what you are saying, but I'd love to see at least one more person say they had the same experience. I still have my stock wheels and tires just without the sensors in them. For the winter would be nice to have sensors in them and be able to swap those on without issue.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Banned
yeamans17 I am not doubting what you are saying, but I'd love to see at least one more person say they had the same experience. I still have my stock wheels and tires just without the sensors in them. For the winter would be nice to have sensors in them and be able to swap those on without issue.

Heres a test then. Put them on and make sure the pressure is set, go for a drive around the block. Then come home and let the air out down past 27 psi and see if the light comes on. If so then you're good to go.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Heres a test then. Put them on and make sure the pressure is set, go for a drive around the block. Then come home and let the air out down past 27 psi and see if the light comes on. If so then you're good to go.
I only have one set of wheels with sensors in them, so hard to really do a true test.

What would be cool would be if some of the folks on here that do get togethers, would you guys be willing to swap wheels, even just one or 2 of them, go for a short cruise and see what happens. If 2 guys have sport wheels and swap 2, and if they both have sensors in them, that would be a fullproof way to know.

that being said, does anyone know the part number of the OEM sensors for the Fit? If I could get a used/cheap set I'd get them installed in my Sport wheels and find out for myself.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Banned
I only have one set of wheels with sensors in them, so hard to really do a true test.

What would be cool would be if some of the folks on here that do get togethers, would you guys be willing to swap wheels, even just one or 2 of them, go for a short cruise and see what happens. If 2 guys have sport wheels and swap 2, and if they both have sensors in them, that would be a fullproof way to know.

that being said, does anyone know the part number of the OEM sensors for the Fit? If I could get a used/cheap set I'd get them installed in my Sport wheels and find out for myself.

Be careful picking them up used, if the seller happened to put fix-a-flat though the sensor its ruined.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
I've been babysitting a leaky tire. Plug is on the outside row and it doesn't want to perfectly seal. (Tire shops don't want to fix it. Tires are still in good shape and I don't want to get an "odd" one.)
Got to where the system wouldn't reset, even with pressure equal in all 4 tires.
I aired-down then refilled the bad tire.
Then I shut off the blue tooth on my phone.
Then I reset the system and it has worked fine since.
Keeping my fingers crossed.