Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Tire problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Question Tire problems?

I have an '08 Sport Fit that I just got in June. It only has 8400 miles on it and the front tires are down to the wear line. I called thew dealer and they said they should be 40-50,000 mile tires so bring it in. It's going in tomorrow but I was wondering has anyone else had this happen. I've had no other problems and love my car. I realize that these strange things happen sometimes but I don't like taking a dealerships word without other knowledge. Thanks for any info.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
sounds like the toe settings are out of spec

Old 10-12-2008, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by scroogie
I have an '08 Sport Fit that I just got in June. It only has 8400 miles on it and the front tires are down to the wear line. I called thew dealer and they said they should be 40-50,000 mile tires so bring it in. It's going in tomorrow but I was wondering has anyone else had this happen. I've had no other problems and love my car. I realize that these strange things happen sometimes but I don't like taking a dealerships word without other knowledge. Thanks for any info.
Naturally your toe can be incorrect, likewise camber, so that your tires are wearing on the inside or outside depending on the alignment but I know of no one who got 40 to 50 k out of the front tires. And my 205/40x17's are wearing evenly across the tread but they will be worn out at 15,000 miles and I have winter tires I use for 2 months and hipo tires for track use.
And the OEM Dunslops are not particularly noted for long wear.
If the dealer finds an alignment problem OK but don't bet on getting real long life out of the Fit's front tires.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 PM
I doubted that they were that great of tires on a fit. They are wearing evenly across the whole tire on both front wheels. The back are showing some wear but not even close to the front's amount. What amazes me about this is I've only had it since June 1st and they need to be replaced already. If they tell me it's just normal wear fine but I will be getting much different tires from these when I pick them.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
If the tires only have ~8k miles on them and need replacing already, it's likely that the alignment is out of spec; and the stock dunlops lasting 40-50k miles is very reasonable if you don't beat on them.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:39 PM
define beat on them please.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:45 PM
HID Addict
im thinkin of this kind of scenerio

so your in the city and lookin for a spot to park, paralel park, and you find one
-turns the rear in and the front in, still goin in.. front right tire scrapes the curb!!-
Mutha [bleep!!!] them some mutha [bleep]ing giovanis! come on!

i think thats beatin on it lol

Old 10-12-2008, 11:50 PM
That would be my version of beating on them too but I also drive on dirt roads regularly. Real county roads just still dirt not paved. Some may consider that beating on them too.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:07 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
That would be my version of beating on them too but I also drive on dirt roads regularly. Real county roads just still dirt not paved. Some may consider that beating on them too.
Hmm, I didn't have dirt roads in mind when I said that. Would dirt roads put more wear on tires? I dunno actually haha, but I'd guess yes. When I said "beat on them" I was referring to ripping around turns and making the tires scream, even once in a while. I guess generally just driving the way you wouldn't drive if a cop was watching you.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:13 AM
HID Addict
How tire wear happens

1) friction between the surface and the rubber removes a layer of rubber

Asphalt pavement has more friction since the surface is stationary and the dirt road has at least some "motion"

Old 10-13-2008, 12:19 AM
well there goes the beating on them idea out the window. Squealing wheels is one thing I have never learned to do and at this point in my life I can't see gaining that skill now. Generally the worst habit I would need to hide from a cop is a lead foot,

Old 10-13-2008, 04:42 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
How tire wear happens

1) friction between the surface and the rubber removes a layer of rubber

Asphalt pavement has more friction since the surface is stationary and the dirt road has at least some "motion"
the reason i'm not sure about that is because friction is caused by materials moving against each other, or rubbing right? so if a tire is rolling along over asphalt, there should be minimal rubbing (or friction) since the points of contact are quite stationary while the tire rolls. but if rolling through sand/rocks, the sand/rocks are free to move around and rub against the tire, which i think might actually lead to more wear. i really am just theorizing though.

i think if you were doing a burnout on asphalt vs. in the sand, the burnout on the asphalt would put more wear on the tires than one in the sand, since the sand is able to shift with the tire's movement. like rubbing an eraser through the sand vs. rubbing one against the sidewalk. but if just rolling along, i think maybe the sand will cause more wear. hahah i just tried googling for some answers but couldn't find anything. maybe you're right.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
I doubted that they were that great of tires on a fit. They are wearing evenly across the whole tire on both front wheels. The back are showing some wear but not even close to the front's amount. What amazes me about this is I've only had it since June 1st and they need to be replaced already. If they tell me it's just normal wear fine but I will be getting much different tires from these when I pick them.
I was afraid of that. If your tread wear is even across the tread and there's no 'cupping' or waviness in the tread (caused by poor shocks) then you are experiencing the normal front tire wear on a light front wheel drive car. Just as brakes up front do 75% of the work and wear out twice as fast, likewise for tire wear.
Unfortunately, the dealer is going to take this as an opportunity to charge you for an unwarranteed cost. He's not being a crook, he just wants your car to be right and if he makes money, too, thats alright, too.
I wouldn't sign up for any cost-to-me service if visually the tires aren't wearing unevenly. Instead I'd hang on to the cost to pay for better tires later. Michelins or something warranted for mikleage at Discount Tire Direct or by the manufacturer.
PS did you get any kind of tire warranty with your car? most sales include something that refers to road hazards and some have mileage warranties that only come out at the tire dealer.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Not sure about the tire warranty but I did sign the paper at the drop box that said don't do anything to my car that will cost me more than 25 dollars. I had already decided that if they say its normal wear I will be going to Merchants tire or somewhere like that and picking tires that I want, not what the dealer likes. And I know what you mean about the brakes. I used my RHD Subaru to deliver mail for years. I changed the front brakes about every 3 to 5 months. Often enough that my daughter was the only kid in her 5th grade class that could identify a brake rotor on career day and at 13 she can at least tell someone how to change brakes if she can't loosen everything. But back brakes once a year 18 months. They don't wear near as bad. That is also why I put the tire question on here. Its been 13 years since I drove a front wheel drive car regularly. My Subaru was all wheel drive. (BTW I'll take front wheel over all wheel any day)

Old 10-13-2008, 10:38 AM
the results are in dealer just called. He's shocked but it is absolutely normal wear. The good thing is my car is fine. The bad thing is now I need new tires. I will probably have the only fit around with mud and snow tires on it.
btw... light car front wheel drive and dirt roads combination is probably the combo that did them in.
Thanks to all who replied.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MarkyMark
sounds like the toe settings are out of spec

+1, i think so too.