Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Why do people hate Rota?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:27 PM
I've run a set of 16" Slipstreams for close to 100k miles now . . . they've made it unscathed over roads that have seriously bent several different 15" steel wheels I've gone through.

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
I highly agree with this here. I am checking the difference between Rota and the brand names that they copy and the price IMO isn’t that much of a difference.
Really? You gotta tell me where you're shopping . . . :laugh: Take the Slipstream/Spoons for example. A 15" set of Spoon SW388's will run you at least $1,600. The Rota equivalent . . . $400. That's $1,200 that can be put to far better use, in my opinion.

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
]Anyway back on the subject, the main thing I dislike Rota is that they just can’t come up with their own design.
I agree with this. I wish Rota had some simple original designs, offered at the same price level, and with the same reliability & performance (which in my experience, is excellent).

Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
EVERYONE CAN afford legit WHeels. you just have to save up longer.
That logic doesn't make sense to me. Anyone can afford anything they want, as long as they save up longer . . . I mean, why did we bother buying a Fit when we could just save up longer and buy an M3? Sure, maintenance & gas will cost a lot more - but hey, just save up longer, right?

For the money I spend on my car, I have to think of my priorities - where I'll get the most enjoyment for the money I spend on my car. When a set of name brand wheels cost 400% more than a good looking & reliable imitation . . . I have a tough time justifying those dollars going towards my wheels. I'd use the extra $1200 on stereo & carpet/upholstery in a heartbeat - that'd be something I'd get far more enjoyment out of on a daily basis than wheel bragging rights and 3 pounds less of unsprung weight.

Or if raw acceleration is your thing, that $1200 would go a LONG ways towards a forced induction setup . . .

Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
thats why you buy rims that rota/konig cant copy

like advan rg

i dont know, rotas can make a car cleaner.

i just hate seeing an expensive car or a car that has all this expensive parts and then they rock rotas.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
yessir my logic still stands.

i didnt have to buy the fit. i could have "saved" for an extra 6 months and i could have put a nice down payment on a si?

but i didnt want an si at the time so i bought the fit.

patience is the issue. if you want something, dont you wanna purchase what you want.

for example i bought my advans for 1200. the second gen knock offs Rg2 were going for 600 without tires. then you buy tires so your looking at another 400 for a set of good tires.

for 200 dollars more you could have bought some USED in Great condition rim that arnt knock offs.

or say you are buying used rotas. they normally go for what? 500bucks with some decent tires.

it really comes down to patience. modding a car is a hobby?

people who track their motorcycles always say. "cheap tires are more expensive"
same concept. save up for the better shit.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
the impact that breaks a "fake" rim will break an expensive rim, and an oem rim. a picture like that is bullshit.

The picture doesn't look fake to me, that would have to be be one a hell of a photochop. There are no tells in the picture to show otherwise.

For the record it is not my picture; however the way the metal sheared it looks like it broke under stress from pro-longed metal fatigue rather than from an impact. If the originals were forged and the copies were cast... then the picture is not bull-shit.

Forged aluminum for instance is typically 300 times stronger than cast aluminum.

Think about it, the picture shows Rota Slipstreams I believe... they are 12lbs. The Spoon SW388's are only 9lbs. There is no way that you could get a wheel that light without forging it!? I bet that the Rota's are cast.
EDIT: Just checked it out online, is true. Rota's are cast... the SW388's are forged.

It would completely and utterly depend on the materials used and process of which the wheel was constructed. Cheaper wheels have to cut corners somewhere, cheaper grade metals and alloys and a cheaper construction process would most definitely increase the odds of this happening.

Now I would like to throw in a disclaimer to this, even cast wheels are very strong. I would say instances like this are rare and anybody considering Rota's need not worry.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-24-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
The picture doesn't look fake to me, that would have to be be one a hell of a photochop.
I am pretty sure he is talking about the wheel being "fake" a.k.a. Rota < Spoon SW388

Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gimme
I am pretty sure he is talking about the wheel being "fake" a.k.a. Rota < Spoon SW388
Yeah but the fact remains that where a "fake" rim will fail a real one will not... especially in the case of a Forged Spoon & Cast Rota

Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
YES IT WILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

LOOK AT THE RIMS I POSTED. one is an OEM rim, and the other two are high end wheels off a m5

Old 02-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah but the entire basis behind the photo is the fact that the Spoon is 300 times stronger than the Rota... I don't mean to say the Spoon is indestructible but it certainly wouldn't fail under the some of the same situations that the Rota would.

That is why the Spoon is more expensive... that is why most original wheels that are produced by top manufactures are more expensive. It isn't just a brand name that drives the price up.

I quickly grabbed some quotes with a seach, links to the references are below them.

Forging uses intense heat and/or pressure to transform a solid slug of alloy material into the final shape of a wheel. During forging, a billet (piece) of aluminum is forced (forged) into the shape of a wheel by using a tremendous amount of pressure. Once the wheel is spun to the desired size and shape of the wheel, the design of the wheel is then machined into the face. Forged wheels are typically lighter and stronger than their cast counterparts; however they also tend to be more expensive do to the cost of the manufacturing and machining processes.
Motegi Racing Performance Wheels

Forged Alloy Wheels are manufactured using the spread-forged process. The spread forging process utilizes intense heat and extremely high pressure, which reduces variation in the composition of the material. The result is an extraordinary high strength wheel. A forged wheel can be up to 300 percent stronger than a cast wheel. Also, because the forging process requires less material to achieve greater strength, the wheels overall weight is significantly reduced. A lighter weight wheel allows for faster acceleration, better
handling and improved braking. The forging process also provides for an unsurpassed, high quality show finish.
PIAA

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-24-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by RickyGoshDarn
Yup..basically but I kinda wish I still had them, be kinda sick on the fit.
i dunno man.. your evo's are THE shit!!

*cough*i mean slips*cough*

haha jk jk

Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member

i doubt a spoon sw388 is 300 times stronger than a rota slipstream

Old 02-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
i doubt a spoon sw388 is 300 times stronger than a rota slipstream
Well you are welcome to do your own research, the Rota is a cast and the spoon is forged. Conventional wisdom tells us the factor is about 300 times.

If you can find the material specifications and design parameters you can probably do some calcs on the maximum yield strength and come up with a more accurate delta between them... maybe just 100 times stronger

Here is a site promoting forged truck wheels, there are clear and proven strength benefits for forged wheels.
https://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/eu...its_forged.asp
The Japanese JWL test simulates a truck hitting a high kerb at a speed of 50 km/h. A 910 kg weight is dropped onto the tyre and wheel assembly. The test is performed in the Alcoa technical centre in Pittsburgh according to the Japanese CHIGI-15I-15III specifications. While steel wheels show excessive deformation and cast aluminium breaks, the Alcoa wheels pass the tests successfully.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-25-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:12 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Anyway, not worth arguing about... we can at least agree on the fact that Rota wheels are of a lower quality than the ones they are copies of. Who knows what the real strength tolerance difference is, when somebody gets a machine press and buys rims to squish we will have our answer (probably not anytime soon, lol)

Like I mentioned before, I am picking up Rota's myself. They are way cheaper, reasonably light and I don't have any real concerns about the strength. I plan to beat the hell out of them, I just can't justify the huge cost attached the real deal.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
so your arguement isnt rota vs big name brand, but forged vs cast.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yes,

but generally speaking Rota's are cast versions of the forged wheels they copy

How else can Volk, Spoon & other big names get away charging 500+ per rim

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-25-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
i just got my set of Slipstreams in Full Royal Sports Bronze. i really dont care about these to be honest. these are my fun/winter wheels. My volks are the summer/show

Old 02-25-2009, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
forged wheels are strong, light, and expensive.

but not all cast wheels suck, for example the enkei rp-f1 is casted but it's damn light, and inexpensive.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:40 AM
AT THE END OF THE DAY>>> EVERYBODY BUYING MUGEN THIS AND MUGEN THAT> racing hart, starks, bullshit here and there thats running so much cash.

the hood "ghetto" or whoever made fake jordons and airforce ones and northface jackets etc etc gucci bags, fendi bags,made by the chinese an africans in manhattan sweatshops so people can actually afford to buy them. instead of paying arm and a leg. its illegal and no one will know the difference unless YOU PERSONALLY LOOK IT UP THAT the stitching on this and that are different.

your walking down the street. are you gonna be like....oh those are chinatown coach bags. i can tell from the stitching. shes a bitch.

you are just trying to represent something other than stock if you say have rotas.

people FOLLOW YOU TO YOUR HOUSE if you got good shizzle on your car. not everyone can afford $2500 on a wheel and tire combo to now need to worry that my car will be on bricks when i get out of the mall or movie theaters or when i wake up in the morning to work.
i dont live in the ghetto but the theives come to you..to the burbs knowing theres a sucker with 2500 wheel combo sitting like a duck or a bubble with a k20 who has k20 stickers and hondata stickers all over his car. spoon stickers and mugen stickers on the outside of your car JUST ADVERTISING FOR YOUR STUFF TO GET STOLEN..
WHAT ARE YOU STUPID!!
YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! i SEEN THE PICTURES ON THE THREADS AND I SILENTLY LAUGH AT MYSELF.

i dont want to spend all this damn cash only to say fuc(*k! i just curbed an $450 rim!!! damnit! and I HAVE ONLY set left in the united states!@!!!! i just dended my mugen m7 on a pothole!

i wouldnt want any but ID rather take an 600 dollar loss than a 2500 loss. if so that happened.

everyone ohhs and ahhs over everyone here on this damn site who has a-j racings whole honda fit catalogue on their fit. there is one person (who i personally dont know but i personally absolutely have NO problem with him on this site) everyone rides his cock and quotes copies of him and says OMG threads on fit freak picture threads example" bangdangohoto meet with lots of pics! OMG SOLBROTHERS IS IN THE PICS AS WELL!!! COME LOOK!

thats an example screech.

do you want me to look at your pictures of your car with rotas or do you want me to just open and click your link because some other member who everybody loves riding him just because he/she has rims that youll never have.

and most of us here are guys?.

i went to a car meet once...its pretty lame. thats why i dont go to them. thats why i dont post pics of my car here. for what? bc i dont have the fake abs aftermarket sideskirts and lip that doesnt flow with the car AT ALL!?or spend 4 thousand dollars on volks and tires and 2 grand on bride seats and 5 grand on a t1r turbo kit to make you just as fast as a stock b16.

this site is very repeatative. how MANY newbie pictures are here of the EXACT SAME PIC.
and everyone here is like "oh nice car dudee!"

wow i have rays lugs nuts. they weight a cunthair of an ounce total.
ok. lemme go to ebay. invest 50 dollars on a rays lug nut key. and have someone steal your rims and tires on a 50 dollar investment and make a comeup of at least a thousand dollars on MY new mugen rims. they arent yours anymore. your the sucker that spends your financial aid return and income tax return on something that youll eventually grow up and be..oh man. what was i thinking back then. i wish i saved my money and bought a house.

if you are naturally wealthy than so be it. but im sure if you were you would NOT be driving a honda fit.
im not gona be thousands of dollars in debt just because i want to look cool at a car show.

If you are a man. and like vaginas.... who are you impressing other fellow dicks at car clubs and your precious photoshoots on fit freak and honda tech next to abandoned factories and graffitis.
you think that girl you met at the club or at barns n noble gives TWO SHITS that you have a JDM whored out honda fit or da or ek or eg type are at all!?!!
who are you trying to impress? ME? every other cock!
on fitfreak. dont get me wrong. its nice... super nice cars.but you people really wanna impress guys? i sure as hell dont. i can care less for you who have smeat between your legs.
ladies dont get me wrong. but most of you dont know jack about cars.
i know of at least two girls who that cutie from florida that has the black base her modded hers tastefully and some other from cali who has silver fit with this hot phantom wheels. the majority AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT...OMG its a cute feminme looking car. its a cute car that chicks will dig OR NOT dig. and they wont care if you have mugens.
its NOT scion TC

but at the end guys expecially...you ARENT all going to make it to the cover of siphon magazine or whatever..yes some of you HAVE. but the most you going to make it with the 8000 dollars plus in debt youve made jdm whoring your car which is gonna get you where? a slap on the ass from a fellow collegue?

only to part out your car for over 4 grand less than what you purchased.

good luck when you get your shit stolen or nicked or curbed or purchased all this money and the fitment was wrong.

just drive and dont get tickets.
dont attract attention by the police wiith your resonator taken out.
wow I GOT RED RIMS ON MY HONDA FIT> WOOT WOOT
I WONDER WHY I GOT PULLED OVER.

i know im completely wrong. everyone can go flame me. i dont care.

i never speak my mind on this site.
before anyone corrects me while flaming. i CAN spell and phrase I just can care less for revising this.

peace

Last edited by bangdango; 02-25-2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: reasons
Old 02-25-2009, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
^^ well put

Old 02-25-2009, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kyle is raaddd
i dunno man.. your evo's are THE shit!!

*cough*i mean slips*cough*

haha jk jk
Yeah, I heart my evo's/slips.. I get alot of ppl asking me to sell the evo's to them. Even today a friend in ATL asked if I wanted to trade for his wheels. 1. I didn't want his wheels and 2. my gf would kill me, I think she likes my wheels more then I do, I'd think she would kill me if I got rid of them.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
a wheel is a wheel. any wheel will break, i just hate how people automatically assume a rota destroys itself just daily driving or on your avg random pothole.

i personally have owned a couple of sets of Rotas in the past, i just cant seem to pull myself to own another set.. idk why i just cant. i'd rather rock oem's

Quick Reply: Why do people hate Rota?