Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Why do people hate Rota?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
So because theres a picture of a broken rota wheel, that means that if I put rotas on my 100whp Fit and drive to the grocery store, that they will fail like that? Please...

Old 02-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
So because theres a picture of a broken rota wheel, that means that if I put rotas on my 100whp Fit and drive to the grocery store, that they will fail like that? Please...
If that is all you got out of this thread I would highly reccomend going back bad re-reading members posts

That picture to me clearly shows a wheel failing due to pro-longed metal fatigue, not hitting a curb. You can even see the concrete where the rim scratched the ground when it broke from being overstressed.

I made it pretty clear that the risk of breaking a rim like that is next to nill, however I added that Rota's are of a lower degree of quality and the likelyhood of something that happening is probably exponentially higher.

So to clarify once more:

Odds of that happening to a Rota Wheel = >0.01%
Odds of that happening to the Spoon wheel Rota copied =>0.00033%

Originally Posted by 1WayFit
forged wheels are strong, light, and expensive.

but not all cast wheels suck, for example the enkei rp-f1 is casted but it's damn light, and inexpensive.
I was careful to leave my statement about Rota open ended; "generally speaking Rota's are cast versions of the forged wheels they copy". I totally acknowledge there are some exceptions.

Originally Posted by bangdango
AT THE END OF THE DAY>>> ....i dont want to spend all this damn cash only to say fuc(*k! i just curbed an $450 rim!!!
lol, I found this pretty funny. That is true, curbing a rim worth that much would SUCK!

I don't blame anybody for buying cheap rims or expensive ones, peoples cars are an expression of who they are. Some people value having the most retardedly expensive rims in the world, others on the quality, others on function and other just on looks.

To look down on people for that reason is stupid and selfish IMO, the fact is not everybody can afford the most expensive rims (even if they save up for 2 years) and not everybody values it that much either. But at the same time anybody who looks down on people who can afford it and buy the name brand ones out of a passion for thier car is just as big of an asshole.

There is way too much controversy around rims, can't people just get over themselves and not hate like crazy?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-25-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Daemione
Really? You gotta tell me where you're shopping . . . :laugh: Take the Slipstream/Spoons for example. A 15" set of Spoon SW388's will run you at least $1,600. The Rota equivalent . . . $400. That's $1,200 that can be put to far better use, in my opinion.

That logic doesn't make sense to me. Anyone can afford anything they want, as long as they save up longer . . . I mean, why did we bother buying a Fit when we could just save up longer and buy an M3? Sure, maintenance & gas will cost a lot more - but hey, just save up longer, right?
Again that was my opinion. I know everyone has different income. Not saying I am rich or not. I know on my forum that with almost 200 vendors and roughly 20 of them are wheel vendors the price we get on rims is very good thanks to the competition. I can tell here that it took me forever to get one quote.

And just in case the price of Volks will be going up again in March.

It does make sense. If you really want something just work hard for it. Nothing comes free unless you have a rich parent that spoil you. Again that’s me, my parents didn’t really give me anything except a roof over my head (which I am thankful for). I have to earn everything I own. I know I purchased the Fit to save gas, and transport people. I can’t speak for everyone else.

~Robert

Old 02-25-2009, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
The poor qualilty. I know... I'm Filipino.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
The poor qualilty. I know... I'm Filipino.
: rotfl:

^ sorry I need 10 characters to post

Old 02-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
sorry bangdango, my wife actually likes my wheels.....so i am one man who cares what someone other than a guy thinks

the wheels i chose for me have a nostalgic meaning.....takes me back to my street racing days in 93.

and no, i dont think the "lesser" brands are junk. I have actually wanted many sets, just never bought them. I buy for me

Old 02-25-2009, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
If you think Rotas are bad...you obviously haven't wheel-shopped in the Philippines and bought Concept Ones or Silverwind rims. Out of those three knock-off rim makers Rotas are by far the best - either in terms of durability or lightness (at least Rota doesn't make Spoon SW388 knockoffs that weigh as much as a tank).

I have no discrimination whatsoever for people who run Rotas. Over here, original WedsSport, Advan or RAYS/Work wheels pretty much cost an arm and a leg, and the road conditions mean bent or cracked rims are pretty much a driving hazard anyway. If you bent or cracked any of your precious JDM genuine aftermarket wheels on the notorious highway called EDSA, you'd probably wish you got Rotas instead.

Besides, Mugen stopped making MF10Ls a long time ago and they don't come in 16". Rota makes 'em and with correct offset for GDs too. I'm happy with my white Circuit 10s.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
There is way too much controversy around rims, can't people just get over themselves and not hate like crazy?
Best thing written on this thread by far.

There are much better ways of wasting/using time and money without dipping any fingers into that jar called hate.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Um some just only have to have the real thing. Rotas are really knock offs but i think for the price difference i would get them. Hey i did i had the rota D2s. For me it depends on the part and price for what i get. Know these 2 rims look the same one cost $150 the other $500 one says works the other rota. I would go with rota but its all what u like. Every one mods to what they want there car to be at and what they like. The car i have now will stay stock

Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
^^^ Thats until you want an exhaust system. You know where to sell those mufflers..............

Old 02-25-2009, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
LOL yea i do its funny im on here more than any S2k site still

Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
i dont hate rota or people that buy them but i just cant stand it when people put those ILOVEJDM stickers on their car but then they are running rotas.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
rotas are made here in the PI. roads here are bad, asphalt patches, 2 feet diameter potholes, cracked roads... rotas are inexpensive, tough, and stylish. im guessing more than 60% of the tuners here use rota because of the facts given. they really are very very practical.

ive had 3 sets of wheels that are not knock offs...1 modia ks-05, 1 speedline mistral7, and the rare wedssport "kurage" wheels. i bent the sh*t out of the lip of the weds on a metal pole protruding 3 inches up on the inner lane of a highway (libis). got so pissed and swapped them..if they were rotas, id be ok.

Last edited by caloyski5; 02-26-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
For the money im still with rota

Old 03-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
just get the cheaper wheels that look good on the car
and enjoy grocery shopping... in style.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:58 PM
spelng > me
5 Year Member
[quote=iheartJDM;587527]a wheel is a wheel. any wheel will break, i just hate how people automatically assume a rota destroys itself just daily driving or on your avg random pothole.

I cant speak for everybody else but the only set I owned broke on me going down the high way at like 60mph and my car had never been to the track I prolly hit a few pothole's with them but not right at that moment, lucky when it did break the center did collapse onto the rim part and the tire just went in wards and I had to turn in the direction that pushed it in more. The car was ok but my rotor was alil lat in one spot and the cv boot was chewed up, Lucky I buy wheels in fives to have a full spare just in case but the left over four got sold but I could of wrecked my car or died even, I will never forget that and I will never buy another set from them because of that. So I dont hate them just dont trust there product or feel safe riding on them

Buy what ever you like, its your car your money. But you could save a little longer and get something better, or look to see if somebody got something good they tryin sell for cheap.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
I have no problem with Rota wheels until recently. I've never owned a set, but i still think they're cool looking wheels. Yeah maybe they look cool because most of them are knock-offs of a way more expensive wheel but thats what makes them look cool. But hearing about Hondajunkies story a while back about breaking a set from normal driving, it became more of a safety concern than a "fake wheels" concern. LOL

Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 PM
spelng > me
5 Year Member
This topic is the dead horse we all like to beat, I swear we all have this convo like once a month at least. I tried looking at my othe post about this but I guess after 09 the seach stops counting. So I will say this

If you drive slow like a old lady which I do now days and you only go to work and back plus a couple other place's and maybey have another car you drive and have good roads where you live, then you will prolly never have them break on you. But if you drive like a bat out of hell, pick on every car thats slower than yours until they race you, take every offramp like its the last corner of the most important race of your driving career, drive in a busy city with the most potholes ever. Then you will prolly be ok but if one cracks on you then you allready know why. But if you are setting you daily up as a weekend drag, gymkhana, solo1, solo2 scca car. Drive the piss out it on the street, plus use your car as mass transportation for your friends. Then they might hold up still but if they break then you allready knew better and what did you think was going to happen cause your obviously abusing your car. Plus if you race then you allread know that cheap wheels is not the way to go and you could of for sure bought something lighter and stronger. Now if your the JDM guru of your job friends etc...etc... but your really cheap and a lyer and you want to impress people with you rare hard to get wheels and your peers are stupid then rotas are right up you alley you poser. But dont think anybody who has been in the honda game for a while will fall for that. If you really like a set of jdm wheels that are really rare and hard to get, and you can neither afford or can find the set you want than rotas will work but dont fake them out like they the real ones you will be exposed. Now if you just like they way they look and dont care or dont know anything about Jdm then buy them its your money I hope you happy with them

Sorry for the long post I tend to do that alot on here

Old 03-09-2009, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
All the wheels on here have looked good whether Volks Rotas BBs Advans etc etc

To me it's what you want to put on your car. I would rock Rotas any day. I don't race my FIT (if I wanted to race I would have an SI). I just want to make it look good. And like some of you have said before. I rather buy rims and tires at a certain price and have the extra cash for suspension, exhaust system, and sound system

Heck the wheels that I'm planning to get have never been mentioned here. Which I like because I would be one of the only few rocking the wheel when I get it.

And no they're not that expensive but they do look good IMO!

peace,

Old 03-11-2009, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
i'd rock the rotas for a DD. i'm not into flashy expensive rims.

Quick Reply: Why do people hate Rota?