Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Rota Haters Read This

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by MNfit
The problem I have with rota and other companies like them is they rip of the designs that legit companies spent time and money R&Ding. they rename it, sell it at half the price and take sales away form the original company. By the way cost are cut some where that's why they are alot cheaper, its not going to be made the same way, with the same material or quality control that the original company made
Have you considered that maybe the original companies just have an insane markup? You see it all the time. Grocery stores, clothing companies, cars in general.

Its all about the name. You pay for the NAME.
There is no ADVANtage () to being in the JDM wheel club, other than getting more 'oohs' and 'aahs' by your buddies.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
Quality in construction that is visible to the eye but doesn't affect function is worth something to some people. To say that it and a prestigious label makes the huge difference in price worthwhile is a pretty long and superficial stretch in my opinion... I have known a lot of people that demand form over function and the acceptance and approval of others that think the same way... I see it as the social insecurities of people that are being exploited by clever marketing as the primary reason there is an interest in a lot of products being sold and it isn't just car parts where this is evident.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:09 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
The same argument can be made about Honda Vs. Kia... you have to look at it in other ways as well. Both have 5 star crash test ratings. Both of their competing models are relatively even.. but fit & finish and name is what makes Honda the better, and more expensive company as well as it helps hold its resale value... just like "real" wheels.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Styles change and people are always ripe to go for whatever new trend comes along except hard corps old Harley and BMW riders.... I have real wheels on my bicycles.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GrocerySnake
Its all about the name. You pay for the NAME.
There is no ADVANtage () to being in the JDM wheel club, other than getting more 'oohs' and 'aahs' by your buddies.
I'd agree with this point, except when it comes to forged wheel construction. Those are particularly enticing for low-powered cars like ours due to the benefit of low unsprung weight helping a lot of aspects (performance, fuel economy, ride quality)...but they're so damned pricey.

I had read a few years prior that Rota was looking into forging technology for their wheels, but apparently it didn't push through and they stuck with the gravity casting process. I wonder how much they would have charged for their forged wheels if they did.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
I like the idea of forged wheels and always freak when I see what they weigh. When you have heavy wheels you also need heavier brakes, suspension, drive train and steering components than you do with light weight wheels or you will have a crappy driving car but it will also be slower.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
The same argument can be made about Honda Vs. Kia... you have to look at it in other ways as well. Both have 5 star crash test ratings. Both of their competing models are relatively even.. but fit & finish and name is what makes Honda the better, and more expensive company as well as it helps hold its resale value... just like "real" wheels.
I agree to this point. But you have to draw the line somewhere. What advantage do (for example) a set of te37s have over their rota counterparts, that makes it worth paying twice, or even 3 times the price? Sure, slight variations. Color/paint quality. But nothing major.(that I know of.)

But hell, if I had the cash, I'd buy the real thing anyday. Who wouldn't? Lol

Old 09-16-2010, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GrocerySnake
I agree to this point. But you have to draw the line somewhere. What advantage do (for example) a set of te37s have over their rota counterparts, that makes it worth paying twice, or even 3 times the price? Sure, slight variations. Color/paint quality. But nothing major.(that I know of.)

But hell, if I had the cash, I'd buy the real thing anyday. Who wouldn't? Lol
The fact that the TE37s are forged, lighter wheels versus the cast knock-offs being a bit heavier. Even if only 2lbs (usually more than this), that 2lbs of unsprung weight per wheel makes a big difference to somebody that actually drives their vehicle versus the person buying parts to show others.

Forged versus cast is MAJOR in my opinion.

EDIT: Not saying that everyone that buys the knock-off doesn't drive their vehicle and only buys to show, but a good majority do, but that goes both ways, I have seen way too many cars done up with all real parts and all they do is go from show to show and never been beat on like there is no tomorrow. My opinion on that...PHUCK THESE VEHICLES!!!

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 09-16-2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
The things to be concerned with is run out, balance, true and light weight... I'd just as soon have a wheel with a sandblasted finish if it has the above mentioned things and is most of all light in weight. I haven't seen a new cast alloy or forged wheel driven on the street that haven't had the first 3 qualities in over 35 years and those wheels were made in the US and had to have inner tubes in the tires because they also leaked air. I picked up a deal on a 67 GTO with Crager SS wheels when in my early twenties.. They were the hottest looking wheels being made at the time but heavy enough that they caused that wonderful beast to accelerate quite a bit slower than steel wheels.. I have to admit I did get a good price when I sold them but only because I got a good deal on the car..... Parts is parts some better than others but all parts are real. The wheels I have on my car are gravity cast, weigh 9.5 lbs, have been through hell on neglected back roads at in some cases 2 and 3 times the legal limit and are doing fine.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 09-16-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
The fact that the TE37s are forged, lighter wheels versus the cast knock-offs being a bit heavier. Even if only 2lbs (usually more than this), that 2lbs of unsprung weight per wheel makes a big difference to somebody that actually drives their vehicle versus the person buying parts to show others.

Yep it is. Just a 2 lb drop in unsprung weight is very very noticeable. I had to downgrade from cast 16s to cast 15s to feel this, and apart from slightly dorkier looks, it's brought a huge dynamic improvement all around.

What more for forged wheels?

Only if money were no object though, for me...

Old 09-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive

EDIT: Not saying that everyone that buys the knock-off doesn't drive their vehicle and only buys to show, but a good majority do, but that goes both ways, I have seen way too many cars done up with all real parts and all they do is go from show to show and never been beat on like there is no tomorrow. My opinion on that...PHUCK THESE VEHICLES!!!
Ok, my argument is invalid lol. You win. But I STILL understand.....and side.... with the op. If you are someone who takes every little detail/advantage seriously, get the real thing. If you are me, or someone who doesnt think a couple lbs is worth the extra investment, then this dude's findings are very interesting.

Props to the op for doing something cool for class...

Old 09-16-2010, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
^x2! i don't really like fake wheels (ok i do have a pair of königs) because they steal intellectual rights... hopefully, it also keeps real wheel prices more down to earth and it forces manufacturers too offer a better quality product... but i think that they both have an important role in the market... one other reason for rota wheels being so cheap is they mostly use recycled scrap metal, ther brands use more virgin materials and most of the time rota's can't withstand powdercoating...