Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Center Caps on Stock Steel Wheels: DIY

Old 02-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Center Caps on Stock Steel Wheels: DIY

A while back I took off my hubcaps on my 2011 base Fit and didn't like the look of the exposed and rusty axle nuts. Surfing around I saw some people sporting old school Honda emblem center caps and wanted to do it myself. I thought I'd post up my results and what I learned along the way. Hopefully this will help other people if they also want to go the route of steelies and center caps.

The bottom line here is that you can use ANY center cap that came on a Honda with the following wheels specifications: 4x100 with a 56.1 mm centerbore. This link shows the honda vehicles and years which came with this specification. Our wheels have a measurement of 2 3/16" ID and 2 6/16" OD for the hole in the middle of them.

So I went on ebay and with a bit of luck was able to sift through a lot of garbage and find the correct center caps. The seller was even kind enough to measure the "tab-to-tab" measurement so that I could confirm that it would fit. See the images below for two shots of what I purchased for about $35. There are not too many sets of these in good condition available and I'm sure with a bit of junkyard surfing you could find them for less.

Here's a shot with a closeup of a ruler layed across the top of this. It's surprisingly hard to get a good shot of the "measurement" of something, so take my word for it that the outer edges of the tabs on this cap measured 2 2/16".

Installing these was the easiest thing in the world. Just line up the cap, angle one edge of the tab into the hole and give it a good whack with a rubber mallet. Or the palm of your hand if you haven't got a rubber mallet handy. Now go buy a rubber mallet.

Before:

After:

And one of the sideview so you can see what they look like in profile.

Rock on! Have fun and save those hubcaps for nicer weather (or the next owner).

Unless I successfully "kick the habit" I'll be purchasing a set of acorn style lug nuts to clean up the wheel look further.

Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 02-21-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
I am still waiting for somebody to get some brushed stainless steel moon disk wheel cover and put them on their steel wheels.... I increased the fuel mileage and top speed on a 82 VW diesel powered Rabbit doing it.... 54.7MPG tank after tank where it had been about 49MPG before and about another 6 or 8 MPH... I like the looks of your wheels and the idea of chrome lug nuts.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for heads up on the measurement. Mine are somewhat different. They are 76? I believe. They have a raise ridge all the way around and fit over(ie outside the wheel center) the hub. The neoprene lip was worn off most of them so I wrapped with electrical tape and pounded on with rubber mallet.

The black paint was marked quite a bit so I just soaked them in brake fluid and took it all off.

My wheels look like shit right now though. I did a poor job of painting them and a lot of it is peeling off. But is it Feb and who is checking out wheels eh.

Name:  0023.jpg
Views: 16487
Size:  39.3 KB

Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 AM
GM Chrome caps

These chrome GM caps fit my '09 base steel wheels with only a bit of modification and I like the looks. See this thread post

Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
tryin to find some center caps, lots of crap on ebay and they are expensive and don't even list the measurements. anyone have a good cheap source besides a junkyard?

Old 11-25-2013, 07:54 PM
oldschool center H caps look good! Was thinking about doing this as well, but I will wait and see if I decide to keep the steelies a bit longer or not.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
oldschool center H caps look good! Was thinking about doing this as well, but I will wait and see if I decide to keep the steelies a bit longer or not.
In the same boat and teetering on the edge of wheel purchase as we speak lol

Subscribed just in case.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Thumbs up I have some

Read from post #58 down (click here)

I painted my wheels, added steel beauty rings, and found these chrome caps that look really good.

I have since changed the wheels and no longer need these, so will sell them cheap to anyone who wants them.. pm me if interested.

I also still have several sets of the caps that haven't been altered to fit the FIT yet and you can PM me about them as well if you don't want the beauty rings too.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
pmed u 10 char

Old 11-26-2013, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doane2u
Read from post #58 down (click here)

I painted my wheels, added steel beauty rings, and found these chrome caps that look really good.

I have since changed the wheels and no longer need these, so will sell them cheap to anyone who wants them.. pm me if interested.

I also still have several sets of the caps that haven't been altered to fit the FIT yet and you can PM me about them as well if you don't want the beauty rings too.

Those caps are sold by Mr Gasket Part number 2486. I just did mine. Great idea.

Name:  005-12.jpg
Views: 18500
Size:  36.0 KB

Old 11-26-2013, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
With the chrome rings if you had a dome center cap they would look similar to the new Beetle Heritage wheels

Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 PM
CenterCaps.net - Cap Listing - Honda Details - Civic

Do these look right center caps for stock 15" steel rims?