Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Improving steering feel with wheels

Old 06-19-2011, 02:35 AM
Improving steering feel with wheels

Hi everybody!

I recently bought an used Jazz/Fit (GD1 with a 1339cc i-DSI engine) to which I have been very pleased. However, after some weeks the nearly complete lack of steering feedback and feel still keeps annoying me slightly though it was not a surprise. Because the tires are worn and need to be replaced anyway, I was thinking whether I should upgrade from the original size of 175/65 R14. Here in Finland the alternative OEM size is 185/55 R15, changing to which would require buying new rims. Also 185/60 R14 dimensions are close enough, giving under 1% change to speedometer reading, so this is a good alternative.

However, I have found very few comments of these tire sizes as most drivers here seem to use even wider tires.

In some point I will probably consider lowering car slightly (30mm) with Eibach springs or similar, but I guess this doesn't make great change to feedback from front wheels.

My question is, has anyone actually got decent steering feedback from a 1st generation Fit, with any wheels? I have understood lots of the lack of the feel originates mostly from Electric Power Steering, which I am definitely not going to deactivate. From one thread I also read about "scrub radius" but couldn't find its OEM value and whether altering it could really make a difference, by changing to different offset rims or slightly varying tire size.

As I like the ride quality, and fuel economy of 175/65's I would not like to spend extra euros for nothing.

Thanks for reading! Any advice and ideas are welcome.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:50 AM
I opted for 10mm more rubber on the ground and 10mm less offset to improve steering feel.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
The lower aspect ratio or smaller sidewall in relation to the tire size of the 185-55-15s will improve the feel of the steering... I have 195-55-15s on my car and for awhile 195-45-16s and the latter, though rougher riding, felt more responsive and connected to the road than the former size tire.. I haven't seen 185-55-15s on the market here but I wouldn't mind trying some out if my car wasn't supercharged.... You mentioned lowering your car and that is something I have done also.. I used Swift Mach springs more as a means to improve the ride and handling and dropped the rear about 19mm and the front about 33mm... Everyone that has used the Swift springs have been very pleased with them...If you do get different wheels be sure and get the lightest you can afford because the wheels are the best place to remove weight and doing so makes a great deal of improvement in ride, acceleration, handling, braking and longevity of the drive train, suspension, steering and brake parts. Lighter wheels have less offset as well and the extra width in the rear seems to reduce sway in the rear end when making quick directional changes.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 06-19-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
wider tires won't get you more steering feel by themselves...

things that will:

lower offset.
wider wheel with the same sized tire.
more air pressure in the front tires.
toe out.
camber.
poly control arm bushings.
higher spring rates in the front.
lowering the front.
larger front sway bar.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Many thanks for all advice! Maybe there is some hope... The list by apexanimal looks very comprehensive.

Looks like I first need to find lightweight 14-15" rims, preferably 6-6.5" wide with a low offset (35-38 or so? Original is 45 AFAIK), then proper tires for them, and then take it to wheel alignment to make sure settings are correct. I assume this means slight negative camber and a bit of toe out?

I must check the availability and prices of those Swift springs here, though I'm afraid that will have to wait for a while. Sounds interesting anyway. Btw. I have not noticed aftermarket control arm bushings being sold anywhere, though I've not especially looked for them (mostly sway bars, springs).