Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Lightest wheels for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Lightest wheels for the money?

I've done some homework and so far for the money:

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 = $380 shipped
Rota Slipstreams 15x6.5 = $422 shipped

For a bit more quality (I guess?) but weighs heavier/costs more you can go with Kosei K1s at slightly wider 15x7. = $570 + shipping

My goal is easy on the wallet + better mpg + great style.

I'd probably choose Konig vs the Rota name..

Any other wheels I should be considering for the cost?

Old 11-18-2014, 12:36 PM
For the cost, that's about where you're at. There's a few other Konig and Rota wheels of similar weight, but if you like those ones you posted there's no real advantage other than looks imo, which is subjective.

Pretty much any wheel at that price range is going to be a cast wheel made in Thailand or China. Even Kosei and Enkei (some other designs to look at though) lower end wheels in that price range are all made in China now, which is why they're cheaper than they used to be.

Tire Rack Motorsports wheels are pretty light, same deal as above.

Honestly, it doesn't matter that much as long as you like the design and it's a known and reputable company with QC.

FWIW my Heliums have held up fine and I have not treated them nicely.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
For the cost, that's about where you're at. There's a few other Konig and Rota wheels of similar weight, but if you like those ones you posted there's no real advantage other than looks imo, which is subjective.

Pretty much any wheel at that price range is going to be a cast wheel made in Thailand or China. Even Kosei and Enkei (some other designs to look at though) lower end wheels in that price range are all made in China now, which is why they're cheaper than they used to be.

Tire Rack Motorsports wheels are pretty light, same deal as above.

Honestly, it doesn't matter that much as long as you like the design and it's a known and reputable company with QC.

FWIW my Heliums have held up fine and I have not treated them nicely.
Thanks that's encouraging.. I figured the QC/quality of the cast is subpar but i'm not tracking the car and i'm driving it like a grandpa.. I don't expect them to stand up to abuse but I do enjoy the Helium wheel look a lot so I think i'll go bronze on my SSM Fit!

Do you know if I can use the stock tire size (stretched) on the Konig 15x6.5s or not recommended? Was just trying to save some cost but either way I can put fresh rubber on the new Konigs.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:54 PM
the stock tire size in not stretched at all on a 15x6.5.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by 2poler
the stock tire size in not stretched at all on a 15x6.5.
Awesome! I think I decided against Heliums and now I want Slipstreams but not sure in Bronze or Full polished on SSM.. Hmmm decisions decisions.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
I've had good lock in the past with Rota on my Civic. 13lbs on the slipstreams isn't bad. What are you planning for the wheels? Race, DD, etc?

Old 11-19-2014, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by Diversion
I've done some homework and so far for the money:

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 = $380 shipped
Rota Slipstreams 15x6.5 = $422 shipped

For a bit more quality (I guess?) but weighs heavier/costs more you can go with Kosei K1s at slightly wider 15x7. = $570 + shipping

My goal is easy on the wallet + better mpg + great style.

I'd probably choose Konig vs the Rota name..

Any other wheels I should be considering for the cost?
Jay so from my reading on why Honda dropped to 185 tires on 2nd gen FIT. I was to keep the mpg's as close to the previous gen's mpg. That said...I'd do 16x6.5. You're going way lighter that stock so the reduction of rotational mass means a lot more power (especially low-end torque) to the wheels while staying 195 w/ lower profile. you will still see good gains in mpg because of the engine having less rotational mass as well as less un-sprung weight means better braking and suspension response. chat with u in the morning.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
I've had good lock in the past with Rota on my Civic. 13lbs on the slipstreams isn't bad. What are you planning for the wheels? Race, DD, etc?
Daily driving only..

Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
Jay so from my reading on why Honda dropped to 185 tires on 2nd gen FIT. I was to keep the mpg's as close to the previous gen's mpg. That said...I'd do 16x6.5. You're going way lighter that stock so the reduction of rotational mass means a lot more power (especially low-end torque) to the wheels while staying 195 w/ lower profile. you will still see good gains in mpg because of the engine having less rotational mass as well as less un-sprung weight means better braking and suspension response. chat with u in the morning.
I'm not sure I like how 16s look on the GD3, the car almost seems perfect with 15s.. and there's a respectable difference in weight when you go from 15" to 16".. For example, the 15" Rota Slipstream is 11.9 lbs.. whereas the 16" Slipstream is 13.9 lbs.. 2 lbs probably isn't a lot.. and even then, stock is around 17 lbs so anything lighter is a benefit..

Old 11-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Diversion
I'm not sure I like how 16s look on the GD3, the car almost seems perfect with 15s.. and there's a respectable difference in weight when you go from 15" to 16".. For example, the 15" Rota Slipstream is 11.9 lbs.. whereas the 16" Slipstream is 13.9 lbs.. 2 lbs probably isn't a lot.. and even then, stock is around 17 lbs so anything lighter is a benefit..
CORRECT... My point exactly was going from stock to 16 youll still be loosing 16lbs of unsprung weight. Plus you'll fill in the wheel wells.Also Jay go with +40 offset. Doing so will put the wheels flush with the body with no rubbing now that you're lowered. im loving my cars cousin bro. I cant wait to get to JAX to see you of course but photo shoot all over town.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
CORRECT... My point exactly was going from stock to 16 youll still be loosing 16lbs of unsprung weight. Plus you'll fill in the wheel wells.Also Jay go with +40 offset. Doing so will put the wheels flush with the body with no rubbing now that you're lowered. im loving my cars cousin bro. I cant wait to get to JAX to see you of course but photo shoot all over town.
How would be be losing 16lbs with the 16" wheel?

Old 11-20-2014, 04:14 AM
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
How would be be losing 16lbs with the 16" wheel?
Bro,
Reread what I stated. 4lbs per wheel X 4 wheels= 16lbs less unsprung weight total. Which is a big difference when accelerating and braking.

I think we've decided on Slipstream.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
Best deal would be some track dude's used wheels.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:01 AM
Administrator
Why not Enkei RPF1's? 13.7lbs

http://www.enkei.com/size_chart/RPF1.pdf

I run 1-piece forged SSR Type-F's and they are only 11.5lbs

Old 11-21-2014, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Additional wheels to consider...

Advanti Racing Storm S1 - 10.6 lbs in 15x7 ET+35

Traklite Burn - 10.9 lbs in 15x7 ET+35 (SW388 Reps)

*Note: wheel offset MAY be a little aggressive for 205/50s on a daily driven car, 195/55s should be ok* Good Win Racing is a good place to look at these and other wheels.

Best BANG for BUCK new in my opinion: Tire Rack Motorsport C1 (non-M). 12.6 lbs at $100 per wheel. I have two sets of these, a daily and autocross set. The daily have seen over 50k "spirited" miles with no problems and the autocross set have been FLOGGED with 10 autocross days, a 2k miles round trip to The Tail of The Dragon, and again no notable issues with wheel quality as of yet other than the mediocre matte gray paint flaking around the center cap hole (and the crappy/ugly center caps).

Old 11-21-2014, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
Bro,
Reread what I stated. 4lbs per wheel X 4 wheels= 16lbs less unsprung weight total. Which is a big difference when accelerating and braking.

I think we've decided on Slipstream.
Actually with the 16" wheel depending on the tire chosen he would be saving he would be saving about 22.5lbs. The stock 15" Sport wheels weight 19.5lbs.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Additional wheels to consider...

Best BANG for BUCK new in my opinion: Tire Rack Motorsport C1 (non-M). 12.6 lbs at $100 per wheel. I have two sets of these, a daily and autocross set. The daily have seen over 50k "spirited" miles with no problems and the autocross set have been FLOGGED with 10 autocross days, a 2k miles round trip to The Tail of The Dragon, and again no notable issues with wheel quality as of yet other than the mediocre matte gray paint flaking around the center cap hole (and the crappy/ugly center caps).
The 16s I just picked up for my winter beaters come in at 15.2lbs and $128 each. I didn't even know they offered 15s as they don't show up for the GE8 chassis. Though I still don't know if 15s will clear my new calipers, still have yet to test fit my current circuit wheels.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:44 AM
Okay guys. I'm loving all the suggestion you're giving Jay but keep in mind, he just wants a light 15in/16in (i say 16 to fill the wheel well better) too add more mpgs. It's his daily driver to and from work i had him buy the 1st gen FIT to fill this job. For trips and evening dates with his g'f he just bought a BMW 335i with M pkg. He plans to leave the BMW stock so his weekend modding he does on the FIT. We're big in doing JDM conversions when they work then he put on K&N short ram intake, an exhaust, and Hondata. All in the name of mpgs and not power. Well he likes the power gains 2nd.

Again keep the comments coming. I'm here more than him even if hes the IT manager... lol.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
The 16s I just picked up for my winter beaters come in at 15.2lbs and $128 each. I didn't even know they offered 15s as they don't show up for the GE8 chassis. Though I still don't know if 15s will clear my new calipers, still have yet to test fit my current circuit wheels.
I believe you have in input for Spec Miata to find the 15" 4x100 TRMs

Old 11-21-2014, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
I'm running some 14" Kosei K1 TS wheels. 9.3lbs per wheel. Cheaper than the 15" Enkeis. Reduce the tire diameter with a lightweight tire for even better acceleration. That's the route I went with.

Lightweight wheel/tire!

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 11-21-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Lightest wheels for the money?