Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Replacement Tires - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Replacement Tires - suggestions?

Hello everyone - have watched this forum for a year since purchasing my 15 Fit, and now decided to join.

I bought my Fit last July, and after 23,500 miles, it's close to needing new tires. I'm disappointed in only getting this many miles out of the OEM Firestone FR740's, as well as the approx. $115/tire price to buy new versions of these that might only last another 23,000 miles.

However, I've gotten 39.5 mpg (by my calculations) since I bought the car, and don't want to compromise that by switching tires. A previous car that I owned saw a 4-5 mpg drop from a different brand of tires under similar driving conditions.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on tires other than the OEM that anybody has put on their Fits, but have seen similar performance and MPG.

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2015, 12:00 AM
Go with Pirelli, they are really good. I'm gonna write up about it now.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:17 PM
There are many tires that are better than the OEM tires. Especially on a relatively inexpensive car like the Fit, they are frequently selected to be relatively low cost to the manufacturer rather than for the utmost of performance or life.

I replaced the OEM tires on mine with some house brand tires from a local store. They've been just fine—a little bit better ride, at least as good traction, and longer life. Milage did drop a tiny bit, about 1 mpg (40 to 39), which might partly be because I went with ones that are a notch wider due to better availability. I think the price a couple of years ago was about $65 or $70 per tire installed.

(As an aside—when I was getting the new tires, the guy in the store was enquiring what tires I had on it that I was replacing and I guess whether I wanted to get the same thing. I replied that they were the OEM tires, and that they were made of rubber, and were round...which was about all the top positive things I could say about them. He understood perfectly.)

For the best milage, look for "low rolling resistance" tires (often abbreviated "LRR"). The OEM tires I think are LRR tires, and the replacements I got are not. Do be aware that the LRR tires usually have some compromises in other criteria—handling, ride, and/or traction. Maybe that's important to you, maybe it isn't.