Lowering spring Install DIY help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Lowering spring Install DIY help!

To all my fellow fit owners in FL - I'm looking into getting lowering springs, just something with a mild drop, maintaining decent ride, and mostly for aesthetics. I can't justify coilovers - I don't plan on tracking the car, nor I do have the financial means for such a setup.
I have little to no experience with suspension, other then the old hockey puck tricks for lifting 4x4s, which is totally hick and not the safest way to go about it but my old ride was more for mud then the road, and it was fun, for a time. but I digress...

Anyway, I know everyone says lowering springs are relatively easy, but I've never done it, and I just don't know where to start. Regardless of the relative ease this can be done, there just seems like there's enough in it that could go wrong or I could mistaken do, that I'm not confident to undertake it.

I've made a similar post in the main suspension forum, but I thought I'd post here to to focus in on the regional folks...

So, if anyone can make some recommendations for springs, that'd be great, and if anyone out there would be willing to help, that'd be awesome. I have jack stand, a hydraulic lift, but no spring compressor (loan from autozone) and a decent array of wrenches and tools. I think I have the means of doing this but not the adequate "way" as it is.

I'd be willing to drive within reasonable distance (if you live in the Keys, for example I doubt that'll work) to you, and I can make some compensation for your time and help, maybe pizza/food, booze, fuel, whatever?

I can easily get to a shop and have them install it 100 bucks+ knowing its done right, but I'm thinking it'd be beneficial/fun/inexpensive to learn for myself.

Any help would be great - especially to all the guys I met at the recent Orlando fit meet - you really helped me decide to drop my ride - the stances you guys had on some of your fits was great and it's just what our cars need I think. like a Lowered facelift!

Thanks to all who read and reply/help

Old 12-20-2007, 11:50 AM
I wish someone would reply to this one

Old 12-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I JUST installed Tein S-tech lowering springs on my friend's Honda Fit yesterday morning. I just so happen to live in South Florida too haha

Use this how-to, I found it with a quick google search and it gave me ALL the info I needed.

How To: Install Skunk2 Lowering Springs for Honda Fit

The install was very easy, and it went very quickly with myself and my dad doing the work in our driveway. The front takes a little longer because of the strut assembly but other than that, it's very straight forward. The rears were done in a few minutes practically.

Car all done:

Just take a day off from work and don't make any plans, get a friend to help... and make sure you have a jack, jackstands, and a basic socket set. We also rented a spring compressor from AutoZone for $40. You give them the money, they give you the compressor, and when you bring it back they give you the money back. So in other words, it doesn't cost anything and it makes removing the spring from the removed strut aassembly MUCH easier.

Also, when you have the assembly removed from the front, place the brake rotor on a stool, or on another jack/jackstand, to keep it from hanging too low. We didn't have this problem, but some people have said if you let it hang too low that it can come off the axle, which would not be so much fun.

Also make sure you get an alignment at a reputable shop soon after the install.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
I did mine this past week, used that same how-to. After seeing how Kris (the how-to author) car sat, I went with the skunk's I also got a great deal on them, 100 bucks shipped from JHPUSA Auctions on ebay.
It was super easy - I didn't even use a spring compressor since there is very mild tension on the front struts. I did it myself, but could have avoided a cv axle popping if I had an extra hand - but I'm just not patient enough ha. other then that everything was very straightforward for anyone who's handles a wrench, imo. Especially using that DIY - he's pretty thorough.

thanks to anyone who read this and contemplated helping out. If anyone in Central Florida area needs help with their springs I'd be happy to help.
Also, I definitely recommend an alignment afterwards - I went in and while it wasn't that far off, it was enough to affect tires over time I'd say.
Firestone Auto Care Centers, if you're near one, have the right kind of lift that is okay with lowered vehicles, as long as your less then 2" drop. And, they have a lifetime alignment for 119 (special til Dec. 31st) you pay once, and after you can go to any Firestone Auto Center nationwide and have an alignment free of charge for the life of the car.

Thanks again to everyone

By the way, I recommend the Skunk2s, they are of a good construction/materials and the ride is near OEM - only over harsh bumps do I notice the stiffness. Otherwise the quality of the ride is still top notch and definitely bearable for daily driving/long commutes.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Glad to hear the install went well!