Gauge Interest in a Fit Product or Group Buy Use this sub-forum to gauge market interest in your Product or Group Buy.
If you decide to sell a Product or proceed with your Group Buy, create your listing in our Non-Fit Vendor Group Buys and Product Sales area.
If you decide to become a forum sponsor with "FIT Vendor" title, please Contact Us for details.

Group Buy Wanted: SCCA H Stock legal wheels for Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Group Buy Wanted: SCCA H Stock legal wheels for Fit

Like many others on here, I am having a terrible time finding a lightweight, H Stock legal wheel for this car. I do know that wheel manufacturers will make a run of custom offset wheels, but usually require a minimum of ten sets to be ordered.

The criteria for an H Stock legal for those who don't know is 15" x 6" with an offset of +55mm, ±0.25in(6.34mm).

I am making this post in hopes of having an approved vendor step forward and put together a group buy to have a manufacturer have our wants and needs fulfilled. I think the Enkei RPF1 would be the perfect candidate as they are inexpensive, very strong, and very lightweight for what you get.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Dave

Old 12-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I thought the RPF1's only came in 15x7 applications with either a 35 or 41 offset?

Edit: Wow, I can't find any 15x6 applications!

Double Edit: SSR Has some wheels that should work, expensive though SSR TYPE-C
Triple Edit (last one): Disregard, it has a +45 offset.... 3.7mm above and beyond your acceptable tolerance

I give up..... what about these?
Gill's Auto Parts & Sales - Wheels

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 12-12-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:17 PM
If custom RPF1's were reasonably priced, I'd be interested.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Rota makes some wheels that are +48, so it shouldn't be too tough to get them in to +49. Problem is, they're all larger than 15" DIA. Still, I can't see how it would be too tough for them to pop out a few 15's that fit the bill. I could care less how it looks as long as it was a few pounds lighter than OEM and affordable if not cheap. It's doubtful that I'll get to spend too much time on the track until our next kiddo (due in May) gets settled in a bit, so if I'm going to buy a dedicated set of wheels, they need to be reasonably priced. Otherwise (at least for me), I'll pull the OEM wheels for slicks and get a set of 15x7" daily drivers. Way too many choices for cheap upgrade wheels, and the REAL light wheels are super big bucks. I'm sure it CAN be done, but I'm not banking on it until we find out that the next gen Fit also runs stupid-high offset wheels like ours.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:22 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HEMI-Fit
Rota makes some wheels that are +48, so it shouldn't be too tough to get them in to +49. Problem is, they're all larger than 15" DIA. Still, I can't see how it would be too tough for them to pop out a few 15's that fit the bill. I could care less how it looks as long as it was a few pounds lighter than OEM and affordable if not cheap. It's doubtful that I'll get to spend too much time on the track until our next kiddo (due in May) gets settled in a bit, so if I'm going to buy a dedicated set of wheels, they need to be reasonably priced. Otherwise (at least for me), I'll pull the OEM wheels for slicks and get a set of 15x7" daily drivers. Way too many choices for cheap upgrade wheels, and the REAL light wheels are super big bucks. I'm sure it CAN be done, but I'm not banking on it until we find out that the next gen Fit also runs stupid-high offset wheels like ours.
Still, arn't Rota's wheel sizes 15x6.5 or more.... NJ Drive was saying you need a 15x6 wheel
I don't know if this site is official, but has all of the availaible sizes, weights and offsets Rota Wheels - Canada & USA

I did run accross some specs for the Volk RE30's; 15x6.0, +48 offset.... only 450$ each..... lol

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 12-16-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Actually, the RE30s are the only ones that even come close to a legal wheel, in the strength and lightness that I desire. I wouldn't have any reservations of running a wheel that is 0.6mm out of spec- the hash marks on a ruler could easily make that disappear. If it came down to it, I could have a competent machine shop lathe that difference off of the back of the wheel to bring them to +49.

I currently have a price of $1495 shipped for them, but I figured it can't hurt to plead for an alternative.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Crap, you may be right. I was sure I saw something on their US site in the last few weeks, but so far all I can find is their GR-A wheel in sub-6.5" width. Unfortunately, it's 5.0" wide, which is actually worse... Depressing, because they must have 40 different styles and TONS of width/offset options, just nothing for us. At least I got some more options for my "street" wheels if I go with the OEM wheels for autoX. I can't justify $1500 for a 15x6 wheel when that could buy me a LIGHT set of 17x9's in the offset I need for my SM hotrod...

Old 12-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NJ Drive
Actually, the RE30s are the only ones that even come close to a legal wheel, in the strength and lightness that I desire. I wouldn't have any reservations of running a wheel that is 0.6mm out of spec- the hash marks on a ruler could easily make that disappear. If it came down to it, I could have a competent machine shop lathe that difference off of the back of the wheel to bring them to +49.

I currently have a price of $1495 shipped for them, but I figured it can't hurt to plead for an alternative.
Yeah that is pretty steep for a set of 15's, I have seen a few wheel producers that charge about 1K for custom built lightweight racing wheels. I am going to keep poking around to see what I can find in production wheels first.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
From a Saturn guy on the SCCAForums, back before I bought my fit:
Probably not terribly helpful, but OEM Saturn S-series alloys are 15x6" with a 50mm offset. Unfortunately, the lightest ones seem to weigh about 15lbs.
and:
The weight I found for those is 8.8lbs. The SSR Type C are 8lbs and Racing Hart CP-035 are 7.9lbs in the same size/offset. Those are also the dimensions of some fairly light OEM Miata alloys. All of these would legal for my Saturn, but not legal for the Fit (unless you could safely grind 3.65mm off the attachment face of the wheels.)
I could tolerate some used Saturn wheels for my raceday beaters, but it would only make sense if they were dirt cheap. Spending too much on those would put me back buying some wider daily's and using the Fit wheels for race tires. Now if the Saturn wheels were 3-4# (or more) lighter than the Fits, well...

Old 12-18-2007, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
the saturn wheels are 13.6lb via WHEELWEIGHTS.NET and can be had in junk yards for anywhere from 40-100 per wheel via Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. i've been thinking about doing this, but don't know the hub size for the wheels, offset, or even if the bolt pattern is correct.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member
The SSR Type Cs have sparked my interest now. I plan on contacting a few machine shops in the area that specialize in CNC lathing and milling to see if this could be done. GruppeS's price of $285 is really not that bad versus the RE30s, although it would be even sweeter if they could do a little better on that price.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Hallelujah!

Originally Posted by Lyshk0
the saturn wheels are 13.6lb via WHEELWEIGHTS.NET and can be had in junk yards for anywhere from 40-100 per wheel via Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. i've been thinking about doing this, but don't know the hub size for the wheels, offset, or even if the bolt pattern is correct.
Thank goodness somebody has finally found another reasonable option for autocross wheels!

I just did some quick research and the Saturn wheels are 4x100 bolt pattern, 57.1 hub bore (1mm larger than the Fit), and 50mm offset. The ones we want are known as the "sawtooth" style, have 12 slots, and came on the S-Series Saturn cars in 1994-95. They are supposedly the lightest OEM Saturn wheels ever produced.

Here's a pic:

JW Racing

The only drawback is that the weights I've seen published for these vary from 13.8 to 15.5 pounds. So the jury is out on whether they will be significantly lighter than the Fit Sport wheels (partly because, amazingly, there is still no solid info about just now much the Fit Sport wheels themselves weigh).

Another issue is whether that 1mm difference in hub bore diameter is something we should worry about from a safety/strength standpoint. That 1mm is probably too small to be fixed with a hubcentric adapter, so we may have to live with it.

On the other hand, I was thinking of using .25" spacers with my Fit Sport wheels, which would probably also not be hubcentric, so what's the difference?

Thanks for digging this up guys!

Last edited by Skimmer; 12-19-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, Skimmer,
The JW Racing page lists the wheels as 14.9# on the The JW Racing Saturn SL2 page. To me, that's not bad. Not great, but with as much seat time as I've had in the last couple years (zero), I've got more concerns with operator error than finding the last couple 10ths on any given Sunday. Those look like a good option for me, if I can find a set locally.

As for the hub DIA differences, I'm sure someone could make a set of rings for you, but I really don't think it's going to be an issue at autoX speeds. Plus, I'd bet your money that the lugs are pretty dang close to centric on the hub. The wheel shouldn't move on the hub at all, even if there was a 3" hole in the center of the wheel, as there is enough friction between the wheel and the hub to hold everything in place just fine. Ditto on the spacers you were thinking of using. Should be fine - I certainly won't worry about it.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
Tirerack.com had

Sport edition D4 15x6

$84 each Silver +47mm offset 14.8 lbs or +38mm offset 15 lbs

Was also available in +50mm offset 14 lbs for $59 each on closeout but ran out of stock. You might find it from another source.
Kosei makes them but raised the prices for next year so Tirerack will not be carrying them.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
That isn't much weight savings off of the stock rims, why not just use your stockers for autoX and buy some different rims for day to day driving?

Old 12-20-2007, 12:58 PM
That's exactly what I did. I'm running 16x7s on the street and will use my stock wheels for autocross. But these Saturn wheels have me rethinking, since they take advantage of the additional offset allowed by the rules and may be lighter than the stock wheels. I found a set of four of these Saturn wheels locally on Craigslist for only $60, so it's kinda hard to pass that up.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
You are doing no justice to yourself, or the car, by running the stock wheels. You are putting yourself at a serious disadvantage using them on a car with this hp/lb ratio.

In the game of tenths, lighter hardware and reduced rotational mass, especially in a class with very few allowances, is something that cannot be overlooked.

Of course, the driver mod is of the highest consideration.

Perhaps this should be moved to the Wheel/Tire thread now.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah unfortonatly it dosn't seem there is too many options, I agree this should be moved over to the Wheel/Tire thread if no GB is foreseeable here.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
I totally agree that the stock wheels are a burden on a Fit in HS, but the degree to which my driving sucks - and the reality that I won't have much seat time for the next couple of years minimum - kind of precludes me from justifying an expensive set of dedicated race wheels/tires. The last set of stickies I had ended up dry-rotting before the tread was half worn... That said, if the price was reasonable, say not more than $150/per wheel, I could probably do that. For the sake of pricing purposes, consider me in on a GB if you need a certain number for Enkei to pay attention. If they end up much more than that, I'm out.

The Saturn wheels look nice to me because for $250 or less, I can get a set of dedicated wheels that aren't too heavy AND a set of used slicks to play with, and I won't feel bad if I can only make it out for 1-2 events before they're dryrotted. I won't be making enough points to be a contender for a while.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Thumbs up Saturn wheels: SCORE!

I picked up a set of these Saturn 'sawtooth' wheels yesterday (with crappy tires) at the pick-n-pull for only $100! The yard had at least two cars with these wheels so I was able to pick the best four. I test mounted one on my car last night and they fit great! The hub bore is just barely larger than the Fit, but you can hardly tell. They are very nearly hub-centric. And the Saturn lugnuts even work on the Fit!

I also weighed the Saturn wheel/tire combo against the Fit Sport tire/wheel and the Saturn combo is 3 lb. lighter! This is not an exact measure, of course, because the tires were mounted, but probably pretty close because the tire sizes are the same.

So I'll be using these Saturn wheels to mount my autocross tires. They seem to be the best setup so far in a bargain autocross wheel.

Quick Reply: Group Buy Wanted: SCCA H Stock legal wheels for Fit