New garrett electric turbos coming for 2021

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 11:42 AM
Thumbs up New garrett electric turbos coming for 2021

This is exciting... Garrett Electric Turbochargers Headed To Production In 2021

Highlights from the article:
The e-turbo layout also has another benefit. When the driver lifts off the accelerator pedal, the exhaust gases and inertia of the wheels keep the turbo spinning for a while. At this point, the motor becomes a generator that can charge the battery. In conjunction with a 48V electrical system, the e-turbo contributes to recuperating energy that would normally be lost out the exhaust pipe. In turn, that energy is then used to spin up the e-turbo the next acceleration is required. The e-turbo is less complex to package than the combination of e-booster and conventional turbocharger.
Garrett isn’t yet announcing what manufacturer or engine type its e-turbo will be used on in 2021. So far none of the other turbocharger manufacturers have announced specific production launches, but it wouldn’t be surprising if one or more arrive in a similar time frame to Garrett’s launch program or soon after.

I wonder how long it will be before someone works a kit for the fit around this... I'm not looking to set dyno records, but 7 or 8 lbs would make for a nice performance increase especially considering there should be little to no lag due to the electric assist..

Last edited by knope; 01-05-2021 at 11:49 AM. Reason: thoughts
Old 01-31-2021, 08:44 AM
Arrow

WOW so exciting. I have been seeing so many electric turbos poping but they were spooled only by batteries so that was the weak point once battery is out of juice. Gerret did this in very intelligent way. I think superchargers will loose their value once these babies come out

Old 02-01-2021, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting, but the real world doesn't need a turbo that is twice as complicated and more than double the cost.

These will be supercar type items.

Edited to add...modern turbo's already offer near zero lag. Try driving a 1.4 VW or a 1.5 Civic/CR-V, etc. Can barely even tell there's a turbo since they come on so early.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
... Edited to add...modern turbo's already offer near zero lag. Try driving a 1.4 VW or a 1.5 Civic/CR-V, etc. Can barely even tell there's a turbo since they come on so early.
I'll second that. My wife's '17 1.8L VW Golf is turbocharged and its little impeller spools up in an instant, even at low RPMs. I wish VW hadn't muffled the turbo whistle tho. However, if owners heard it, many would think something's wrong.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
I'll second that. My wife's '17 1.8L VW Golf is turbocharged and its little impeller spools up in an instant, even at low RPMs. I wish VW hadn't muffled the turbo whistle tho. However, if owners heard it, many would think something's wrong.
Exactly! Our 1.8t Golf didn't need earlier spooling and our 2.0t Accord would just grenade the motor if the turbo came on sooner.

If you oversize the turbo and then have it provide boost earlier, you better have one seriously stout motor. Something stronger than any manufacture of regular pedestrian type cars is currently making.