Cooling air intake temp

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Cooling air intake temp

Hey, you may think that this is a really stupid question but here it goes. As you guys have probably realized, when the car is cold, it performs better because the air is denser, therefore, more oxygen is available and in turn, more fuel is injected into the cylinders. More air + more fuel = bigger boom right! Now, I know there’s a lot of discussion about heat soak and well, it does exist and you can experience it on a very hot day. For example, take your are to the drag strip, run the motor only and see how it does on a really hot summers day and compare it to a winter’s day. If you didn’t know, for every 10 degrees Celsius cooler that ambient temp going into the engine, you can potentially gain 1-1.5% in HP. (Obviously the car has to be tuned properly). What I want to do is somehow, run either liquid nitrogen or NOS AROUND my intake, NOT INJECT IT INTO THE ENGINE, so that it can cool the air going into the engine. Cooler air = more oxygen molecules = more fuel =more boom = more power and isn’t that what we’re all here to do? I know that there are lots of NOS kits available, but since I’m now exposing it to the atmosphere, I’ve got to be able to store it. (I can’t knowingly expel NOS because it has a VERY big effect on the ozone. Stupid conscience!!) So my question is:

1) Does anyone know how hard it is to do something like this?
2) Does anyone here know how to do this?
3) Does anyone in the GVRD know where I can get this done?
4) Am I just dreaming?
5) Is it even worth it?

If you guys can shed any light on the subject, it’d be awesome!!! THANKS!!!

PS: i suck at spelling and at grammar so sorry for all the spelling mistakes!!

Old 12-29-2006, 01:07 PM
DEI makes a system called CryO2. It is like a nitrous system, but uses CO2. They have an intake chiller, basically a bulb that goes in your intake tube. The CO2 passes through the bulb, chilling the incoming air. They have a fuel bar that will cool the fuel, but the two good parts you might like are the intercooler spray bar or the purge system. Both of these must be the final cooler in the setup, as they vent the CO2. I had thought about setting one up as a weak fire suppression system. You would probably want to use the intake chiller, and then have the purge valve spray on the intake tube between the filter and engine, making sure it doesn't get sucked into the intake. Also, be leary about thermal shock to heat-soaked components. Good luck.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Yeah, i've heard about the Cry02 system in teh new HCI mag. I just found out that i can get a kit from Lordco. SWEET!!! anyoen know someoen that has this kit in? is it wort it? i can get teh 5lb kit for about $330 and the 10lb kit for $375. (CND)

Last edited by Fit of RAGE; 12-29-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
A number of years ago, (I think it was in the Mach III) Ford used the A/C to cool a special glycol reservoir which they then ran through their intercooler when at wide open throttle. The glycol was continually being cooled, then the A/C shut down when at WOT.

In a naturally aspirated system, its generally assumed that for every 11 degrees farenheit that you cool an intake charge, it yields a 1% improvement in power... Cool idea, but hardly worth the extra weight for such a minor gain.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned
Cool Cooling Air Intake Temp.

I have not yet bought the shop manual for my new Fit, but apparently the heater hose network has a branch connected to the throttle body to heat the incoming air. Today on Ebay Motors in the Honda Fit parts list, I noticed an ad for a set of hoses and connectors, selling for about $12.00, that bypasses the throttle body and keeps the hot water from heating the TB. The advertised benefit is colder and more dense incoming air resulting in more power. The ad even has a dyno chart showing horsepower diferences between stock intake and intake with this mod. The seller warns that this system may not work properly in extremely cold temperatures.

For $12.00, I will probaqbly buy this kit just to keep from having to figure out for myself what parts to buy at the parts store. I live in the Central Coast area of California, so the warnings about improper function in extreme cold don't worry me. When we see temps. of 20 degrees F. in the winter, that's COLD. But the Fit owners in Bangor Maine or Anchorage AK, or Fargo ND would laugh at that. Bypassing the TB with the heating system might be a real problem with REAL cold, though.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^you're talking about throttle body coolant bypass mod. its a nifty mod for those who are in warmer climates. in harsh winter months, the warm coolant prevents the TB valve from sticking.

you can do it with a piece of 3/8" diameter metal tubing and some hose clamps.

cryo2 is a waste of money. you can spray nitrous for the same amt of work and money. its shown a mere 5-10hp gain on turbocharged cars from actual dyno results done by customers.

if u're serious about lowering intake temps and have the USDM aluminum IM, you can send it to swaintech.com for their BBE heat emitting coating.
BBE Heat Emitting Coat by Swain Tech for Automotive Coatings including engine piston coatings, ceramic coating services engine, automotive ceramic coating, ceramic header coating, dry film lubricant, race engine coatings, exhaust header coating

swaintech coatings are well known and are used by serious racers and engine builders. i've used their exhaust coatings and beats other coatings i've tried in the past. no company dares to compare their coating to swaintech's. my friend has used the BBE coating on intercooler, and many other ppl as well.

but this if u REALLY headstrong about cooling temps. it'll still be a cheaper and more practical than cryo2.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:14 AM
I have the hondata intake manifold gasket on my si and it helped drop temperatures drastically. I'm not sure if hondata has made one for the l15 yet, but, when and if they do, it's a great bang for the buck.

~$50

Heatshield

Old 01-09-2007, 01:26 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^yup, thats an excellent way to keep from heat transfer from head to IM. i have that also.

Hondata/Nextgear/Comptech havent made one for the fit yet unfortunately. i'm sure in due time they will. really good bang per buck. theres even generic ebay brands, but not sure about their durability.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Smile Cooling

I am not sure if they are out yet but silicone radiator hoses work great as well to reduce temp.

Da Fitz..

Old 09-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Banned
Silicone radiator hoses look pretty and last longer than rubber, but don't do a thing to reduce temperatures, especially incoming air temp. They are "out" and on sale a several Fit vendors, as well as on eBay.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
^yup, thats an excellent way to keep from heat transfer from head to IM. i have that also.

Hondata/Nextgear/Comptech havent made one for the fit yet unfortunately. i'm sure in due time they will. really good bang per buck. theres even generic ebay brands, but not sure about their durability.

will a single gasket make that much of a differance?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda
will a single gasket make that much of a differance?
on USDM Fits with aluminum intake manifolds, yes, but even the plastic non-USDM manifolds can still benefit. The base RSX comes with the same plastic IM design as non-USDM Fits, and they've gotten good reviews from it also.

Its one of those mods to do when u're bored.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
i got meth injection in my GTR and it works really good !
much better then noz !! and much cheaper and safter !
but that's in a 800hp track car, and i have it set up when boost comes in..i am not sure how it will work on the street.
you might run out really quick

Old 12-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Old 12-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm wondering how much that would really help seeing that the intake manifold curves right on top of the engine block. It might help some but you also might want to wrap/coat your header so it will reduce the engine bay temp.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Save your money. I would imagine that the intake manifold already uses a gasket.

per their site "Dyno proven to retain consistent HP over time" translated to "the gasket dosn't blow out and cause a vacume leak on your intake"

Old 12-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, dont waste your money. ive tried several of their gimmicky products
from DEI and it didn't work that well on street.. even their Cry02 over
intercooler. i had a modded wrx at one time in my life and it didnt do
much.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Bringing back the dead...did anyone ever try bypassing the coolant to to the TB? I'm thinking this would only help decrease intake temps even if its minimal. I might try testing this theory "claymore" style.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:40 AM
Banned
Yep sure did.. lots of people and believe it or not there are other threads on this subject. It works fine mine has been off for 3 years and not one problem. BUT if you live where it gets below 40 degree Fahrenheit you may want to just put in the on off valve style by-pass so you can have hot water in the winter.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Banned
Yes, I have a throttle body coolant bypass as well. Winter temps. here in Central Coast CA get below freezing (into the 20's) occasionally, but I have not seen any icing problems with the intake system. I also can't say that I have seen any detectable performance gains either, but I put on the bypass when there weren't very many miles on the new car. The bypass can't hurt anything, and I assume that there are some minor power gains.

If you live where it gets really cold for long periods in the winter, claymore's suggestion of adding a 3-way valve to the bypass hose would solve any icing problems. With that, you could bypass the TB in summer, then switch the valve for TB heating in the winter.

Woops, just noticed your location. I've been in Milwaukee in winter. You need the valve.

Last edited by manxman; 04-20-2008 at 12:56 PM.