Did anyone experience.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Question Did anyone experience.....

I just have one quick question...has anyone experience erratic iddling? I'm currently experiencing this...everytime the aircon compressor powers up...the rev increases to at least 2thouRPMs. I know this is not normal. Normally, when the a/c engages there will only be a slight effect on the iddling. What may be the cause of this problem? i already cleaned my K&N filter but no effect. Have i damaged the MAP sensor due to the K&N filter thus causing this erratic iddling?? can anyone help me out?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Mine and other's on here experience the same thing too.I think we can to the conclusion that our car's have to big a alternator for the size of the engine.My light's even dim during night driving when the AC kick's on and somewhat move's forward(I have an Automatic).Plus I had the K@N filter for a few month's and it didn't damage anything.Hope this help's.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:02 PM
do you think those voltage stabilizers, grounding kits, and the other thing(can't remember what it's called) from t1r will help this problem any

Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 PM
I dont really use the AC...but my idling is very odd indeed. (I have an MT btw)

When its cold its @ about 1500 rpm (which is what I would expect more or less. But afterwards the idle is relatively lumpy at around 500-700 rpm (but not all the time)
This I can understand a bit as maybe the car was not fully warmed up when the choke decided that the car was "warm enough". Sometimes after the car has been warmed up for a long time it is as hight as 900-1000rpm and idling pretty smooth (as one I guess would expect)

The only really time my car seems to idle smooth is during or after riding on the freeway.

I will go check that A/C idle later just to see whats up. But on my old civic it would dip slightly and my lights would just barely dim and then the idle would go up just ever so slightly right after.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
I dont really use the AC...but my idling is very odd indeed. (I have an MT btw)

This I can understand a bit as maybe the car was not fully warmed up when the choke decided that the car was "warm enough". Sometimes after the car has been warmed up for a long time it is as hight as 900-1000rpm and idling pretty smooth (as one I guess would expect)

First the Jazz/Fit has no CHOKE like the rest of the cars with EFI.
Next the Jazz/Fit has an ELD (electrical load detector) because for fuel economy reasons the idle is dependent on how much electrical power the vehicle is currently consuming and the ELD ADJUSTS the idle speed to meet that load. Therefore the proper idle speed may vary with electrical load including the A/C system.

If you want to check for idle speed all electrical devices must be turned off including radiator fans.

Last edited by claymore; 03-27-2008 at 12:43 AM. Reason: managed to say all that in ONE COLOR whew
Old 03-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by VBP_bomber
do you think those voltage stabilizers, grounding kits, and the other thing(can't remember what it's called) from t1r will help this problem any

NO.........

You have a Honda motorcycle???

Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
claymore, what does whether or not he owns a motorcycle have to do with "experiencing erratic idling"?

No bomber, our cars have a perfectly fine earthing system, and don't need any extra help. If anyone has really ABNORMAL symptoms suh as revving above 2K rpms like the OP, the best suggestion would be to bring it to Honda. If there's a problem, they'll help you out, thats why they're there...

Assuming that mine's running normal - On a cold start, it will probably hit 1500-1700, never above 2000 (idling), and gradually drop down to 900-1000 as it warms up.

EDIT: HAHA I JUST REALIZED CLAYMORE GAVE ME A BAD REP FOR THAT! WOW... the nerve of some people... try to follow the rules and look what you get...

Last edited by REXXXXXXXXX; 03-28-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:29 PM
response in green VVV

Originally Posted by claymore
First the Jazz/Fit has no CHOKE like the rest of the cars with EFI.
I understand that it is not a manual choke (but those sure were fun to yank...haaahaaa I always forgot to push it back in though, heehee) But how then is this not some form of electronic choke function? I would think the car would shudder horribly or die if this was not present. This action of high idling on cold start up(whether or not its due to a rich mixture or just more gas and air) is rather indicative of a choke type function yes/no?
Next the Jazz/Fit has an ELD (electrical load detector) because for fuel economy reasons the idle is dependent on how much electrical power the vehicle is currently consuming and the ELD ADJUSTS the idle speed to meet that load.
That makes sense, and has been alluded to in this thread already. I just find it particuarly odd that it doesnt seem too consistent. There must be another variable missing. Hopefully its not a problem for the dearler to rectify if indeed its and issue. I would love for my car to idle at 500 as opposed to 1k but it is a tad lumpy (not a consistent lumpy either)
Therefore the proper idle speed may vary with electrical load including the A/C system.
Indeed, I just wonder why mine changes/fluctuates so much when all things seem reletively the same. I dont use A/C, radio, lights when this happens, nor am I just moving the wheel around.

If you want to check for idle speed all electrical devices must be turned off including radiator fans.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by REXXXXXXXXX
Assuming that mine's running normal - On a cold start, it will probably hit 1500-1700, never above 2000 (idling), and gradually drop down to 900-1000 as it warms up.

hmm...I am right there around 1300-1700 when cold but I am not often at 900-1000 when warmed up. more like 700 and 500. Although I have no clue how accurate the gauges number placement is. And I do not have a scangauge to add possible reasurance of the numbers.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Banned
There is NO CHOKE OF ANY KIND on modern EFI cars. The ECU has been programmed to inject the correct amount of fuel for whatever the starting temperature is. With an ECU and fuel injection there is no shuddering THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS MANUFACTURES WENT WITH EFI. It runs more smoothly and starts much better than a carburetted version.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Banned
REXXXXX I guess you didn't know what it was ......... because he has a Honda MOTORCYCLE avatar...OK with you now???? Now that your curiosity has been appeased can I ask HIM, the poster, (not you) now??

Last edited by claymore; 03-28-2008 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
i also forgot to add, that when i turn off the A/C idle goes back to normal...

Old 03-28-2008, 03:50 AM
There is NO CHOKE OF ANY KIND on modern EFI cars. The ECU has been programmed to inject the correct amount of fuel for whatever the starting temperature is. With an ECU and fuel injection there is no shuddering THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS MANUFACTURES WENT WITH EFI. It runs more smoothly and starts much better than a carburetted version.
So basically we have a smart choke system heeheee....
I wish it ran more smoothly though. this car has the roughest or most inconsistent of any new car I have driven...it makes me sad.....
*runs to the dealer but trips and lands flat on face*

oh and SiLvEr_JeZi I think we kinda figured that, but thanks for the clarity anyway.

I cant believe after all this I actually forgot to check it today. hahaaaa

Old 03-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
REXXXXX I guess you didn't know what it was ......... because he has a Honda MOTORCYCLE avatar...OK with you now???? Now that your curiosity has been appeased can I ask HIM, the poster, (not you) now??
uh yea dude, i noticed that too, im not blind, i was just trying to keep the thread on topic; but really, its ok, you're allowed to ask whatever meaningless off-topic questions you want, god forbid you just PM'ed him. But honestly i can care less, so if you want, just keep jumping on ME for trying to be curteous to the OP. Let's just move on, I shouldn't have brought it up to begin with. iiight?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
So basically we have a smart choke system heeheee....
I wish it ran more smoothly though. this car has the roughest or most inconsistent of any new car I have driven...it makes me sad.....
*runs to the dealer but trips and lands flat on face*

oh and SiLvEr_JeZi I think we kinda figured that, but thanks for the clarity anyway.

I cant believe after all this I actually forgot to check it today. hahaaaa
Still not getting it there is no choke system no choke at all. There is never any additional restriction to incoming air cold or hot no mechanical restriction to incoming air (which is the definition of a choke system) beside the throttle plate which is used for engine speed control not assisting cold start. So no choke at all neither mechanical, electrical, smart, or magic button as there is no need with a computer controlled FI system. Care for one more try for the magic ring.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Still not getting it there is no choke system no choke at all. There is never any additional restriction to incoming air cold or hot no mechanical restriction to incoming air (which is the definition of a choke system) beside the throttle plate which is used for engine speed control not assisting cold start. So no choke at all neither mechanical, electrical, smart, or magic button as there is no need with a computer controlled FI system. Care for one more try for the magic ring.
Not trying to stir the pot here. If there is no choke on EFI, what is the little port for that bypasses the throttle body? (Honest question, would like an honest answer.)

Old 03-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Banned
It's sure not a choke. Air is restricted by a choke system so any "Little port" allowing "Extra air" (Not restricting air), if that's what you think that port does, can't be part of a choke system.

One more time for the people in the peanut seats THERE IS NO NEED FOR A CHOKE SYSTEM WHEN THE VEHICLE HAS EFI. The mixture control is sampled and corrected many, many, times a second by the ECU with inputs from all it's related sensors and the proper A/F ratio is maintained at ANY ENGINE OR AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE thereby eliminating any need for a choke. Only mechanically controlled FI or carburetors need a choke NOT EFI vehicles EVER.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Care for one more try for the magic ring.
sure why not, I mean you gotta live up to your sig right? haahaa

I think I will still call it a choke for a high idle cold start warm up. It still seems more apropos, than calling it a "cold start ECU EFI mapping".

Hey I love the peanut seats, that way you are further back and can see the whole thing for what it is, minus the drama sometimes (usually cheaper and more bang for the buck too)

Old 03-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Banned
Hey if you insist on calling it a choke after being told that there insn't one and there haven't been any since the introduction of EFI and betray your lack of knowledge to everyone listening that know there is no choke ..... good luck with that.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:03 AM
to make u happy... the ECU "chokes" back fuel. but a normal choke system chokes back air. so u can consider it choking.

Quick Reply: Did anyone experience.....