Weird...has this happened to you?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
Weird...has this happened to you?

So my wife and i were on our way to work this morning, going about 50 mph on a rural highway, when the little steering wheel/exclamation point indicator light comes on. I tilt the steering wheel a bit to the left, and lo and behold, there was a good amount of heft added to the wheel.

Once we slowed down, turning the wheel became a full fledged work-out. My wife left me at work (we have about half hour drive) and she went to her job, which is luckily down the street. A text message later revealed that after she parked the car at her job and turned it off, she restarted it, and the light had gone, and everything was back to normal?

Thoughts? Anyone heard of this? i tried to check edmudns for a TSB, but its blocked at work for some reason. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Retired Moderator
Wow! Very very starnge man. I would take it Honda if i were you.

Tyler

Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Here's the thread talking about the Electronic Power Steering:https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...power+steering

Hope this help!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
tool: yeah i plan on taking it just as a precaution.

fitful blue: thanks for the link! i'll read up on it. The sad thing is, we left an 07 VW rabbit for the fit, and it had eps as well, and we had NO issues with it at all, save for it was expensive to service. (oh the irony when we got into the honda and everyone was like 'oh, you'll have no problems now!' I dont' doubt my little blue jewel, and i know he'll give me many more years of relaiblity, but its just ironic. )

Old 05-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Retired Moderator
Yup, definitely a power steering problem. I remember working at a GM dealership in the used lot and I had to move an old F150 from the back to the front for pick up. Man, without power steering, that thing was a pain in the arse to turn!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Have em check the power steering. Might be a random glitch or a leak or something else. Either way it should be looked at. This happened in my NSX a few years back. The tech was wondering how fast I was driving because it seemed like the PS was set to a speed of 150 or so. This was when I was still a noob and didn't know it tightened up the steering automatically the faster you went. They reset the cpu and it hasn't come back since. No muss, no fuss.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah this happened to me about a year ago. They replaced the EPS unit under warranty. The other thread that is posted pretty much describes how it went for me as well.

You will need to take it to the dealer with the light on so they can get the code, just leaving it with them might take time to get it to act up again.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Honda, just recently tapped into EPS. I used to be a Honda tech and I can't blame them for having an issue with it. Hondas are great cars and the guy that got rid of the Rabbit for your fit. Best decision you ever made, my dealer was Honda Volkswagon and man what a difference.

Anyway, I really don't think that the fits power steering systems have fluid since it is fully electronic. But maybe I am wrong. But good to know there may be a problem with the EPS, i am comming up on 7k.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitiful Blue
Here's the thread talking about the Electronic Power Steering:https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...power+steering

Hope this help!
Hey! You quoted the thread I started! haha.

Our unit was replaced, and we are at 17,000 miles now, and havent had an issue again. We will see in about 7,000 more miles probably

Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Replaced under warranty right?

Man, that is pretty crappy. I hope this is isolated to just a couple of cars and doesn't become an epidemic.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Replaced under warranty right?
Yes indeed, no questions asked warranty repair.

I have heard the Elements have a huge problem with their PS going out just like this, but my Honda service advisor said ours was the first Fit. Then again, Elements have been around for quite a while.

Only time will tell I guess.